Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards,Hot Thundery nights.
2 hours ago, Bryn Webster said:

My my this sun is strong.

This area is really bereft of much cloud let alone showers over the last 2 days....any reasons?

Capture.PNG

This always happens during an Easterly here mate, the snow showers are weak around Cambs too.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very warm (not hot!)

I’m calling it. West London this is as good as it is going to get. 0.2mm of snow. The lack of a proper Thames streamer has been our undoing, wind just veering in the wrong direction for us. All those that have done well congrats, I owe my 9 year old £20 as I promised her snow to cover her boots #whatamug

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
1 minute ago, Easily sled said:

I’m calling it. West London this is as good as it is going to get. 0.2mm of snow. The lack of a proper Thames streamer has been our undoing, wind just veering in the wrong direction for us. All those that have done well congrats, I owe my 9 year old £20 as I promised her snow to cover her boots #whatamug

Don’t give up yet...still another 3 days at least to go

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warmth, sun, blue sky, and the odd bit of snow on a weekend would do nicely

I will most probably upset some people on here but really yesterday and today has been a bit of a bore fest, yes I've seen snow nothing special and soon the sun came out gone! Not been no where as cold as I thought it would have today , in fact I think Sunday felt colder personally, but that's my opinion anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.

Well, day 2 into the beast am I am extremely erm........ let`s say disappointed.

The best synoptics in years and makes December seem brilliant. Tomorrow morning looks like the 1st dusting IMBY and I am clinging on to Friday like someone is trying to steal my last fiver.

Downbeat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
2 minutes ago, slater said:

I will most probably upset some people on here but really yesterday and today has been a bit of a bore fest, yes I've seen snow nothing special and soon the sun came out gone! Not been no where as cold as I thought it would have today , in fact I think Sunday felt colder personally, but that's my opinion anyway.

Have to agree, its been cold but to me not exceptionally. Snow has not really been an issue here at all and the only possible decent snow has been downgraded and if it does fall will not last long before the warmer air moves in! However for some in the SE of our region it has/will be a great event :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Had more snow in December. Hopeing for better on Thursday and Friday ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

It’s been exceptional in terms of depth of cold this late in the season. In fact, at any point in the winter this would be pretty exceptional (850 temps getting down to -15/-16c is rare). 

Synoptically it is also great. However, exceptional cold and great synoptics aren’t a guarantee of anything, and unfortunately for many of us north and west of Kent the wind flow hasn’t aligned for us properly. If we had more of a ENE/E wind flow there would have been huge amounts of snow piling up into Greater London, SW Essex, Herts, Bucks etc. It’s just bad luck. 

Anyway, the cold spell isn’t finished yet. As winds swing round to an ESE tomorrow morning there may be an opportunity for more showers to move E to W before the convection reduces for the SE. We may also get some decent snowfall Thursday/Friday before the thaw sets in on Saturday. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Finally some heavier showers starting to push into Norfolk in a discreet line. Some bright echoes exiting the Wash.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: April!

Well, had about 2-3cm here to start the day and a further top up to about 4 or 5cm about 10am but after that it's been dry and mostly sunny and any snow that was in the sunlight has all melted. Looking like some heavy showers expected for a time overnight as the wind direction changes before they become lighter and more scattered during tomorrow, so could be a repeat performance of today. Thursday looks dry and then it's all eyes on Friday potentially.

I like snow but that's probably enough for me now, I'd prefer it to get more spring like as we go into March. However, hope that places that have missed out so far get some luck tomorrow with that wind direction change or on Friday with the approaching front.

Edited by Long haul to mild

Posted

looks  like fri now  for prolonged snow to arr

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme warmth And Extreme blizzards.
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Finally some heavier showers starting to push into Norfolk in a discreet line. Some bright echoes exiting the Wash.

Lets hope the snow machine fires up. Although we have had an enjoyable spell of snow,, not beastly but very pleasant. Had enough to toboggan.

We never get snow here so awesome.

Temperature plummeting now .  - 6.5. All good.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

I have now learned for the future that a NE wind means no snow for this part. Will remember this before I get exited in the future 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

According to NW's homepage it's -3C with a 3mph northerly zephyr...That said, the cloud and heavy snow is as non-existent as possible. It's gin clear!:cray::D

Posted
12 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

Need to keep an eye on this band curving on a more ENE wind.....potential for later if it can hold together and pep up...freezing out under clear skies 

Dont give up yet people...congrats to those in snow staved Kent, Norfolk, Suffolk coastal areas who got good snow well deserved.

image.jpeg

Is that moving as one lump? :)

Posted

We should do better tonight. From about 10pm the wind changes and should push showers inland north of the estuary. Might find the two SE threads are the opposite of what happened last night as Kent loses most of the showers!!!!

Just my humble opinion of course :)

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

How far inland do you think they’ll get, Matt?

Winds aren't favourable for us in NW London until tomorrow morning . We might get a dusting as the winds change in the early hours but nothing to get excited about. Bad news is that there seems to be a lot less PPN when the winds do change which would be typical of our luck. Eyes towards Thursday and Friday I recon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Bloody cold under the clear skies now. Can really feel it now the sun is down because to be fair it didn't feel *all* that cold today due to the lack of wind. 

Looks like the action for our region will be mainly to my North tonight for a change. Hope you get something!

Edited by Number 23

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
4 minutes ago, icy toes said:

How far inland do you think they’ll get, Matt?

Not sure to be honest, progress at the moment is very very slow as the wind is still very light.

The temperature is down to -3C already with a slight dusting of what could be only be described as icing sugar. 

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 hour ago, 80sWeather said:

This always happens during an Easterly here mate, the snow showers are weak around Cambs too.  

Thats a North Easterly a proper easterly would have probably developed a Thames Streamer that gave most of London snow 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

Thats a North Easterly a proper easterly would have probably developed a Thames Streamer that gave most of London snow 

been rubbish here Swave during this cold snap. Was hoping for at least something on Thursday/Friday but even that seems to be getting downgraded