Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Stayed in lowestoft with my daughter's last year,at the highbury b&b,visited oulton broad,lovely there,had a lovely boat trip out on the broads

It is a lovely part of the World. We only moved here last year after living near Cambridge for 30 years. Looking forward to Spring now though and some beach weather.

1 minute ago, Matty88 said:

As far as convective activity is concerned for us in EA/SE - the next 24-30 hours is the 'final' window before drier air gets in towards the end of tomorrow. Expect some big convection until then -hopefully for most of EA, however once this passes - if you've got no snow by 6pm tomorrow then I'm afraid the games over until the next organised system arrives Friday night... 

When you say 'final window' that is 24 - 30 hours of potentially heavy snow showers which isn't too bad for this part of the World. I'd be a little more disappointed if that's all that was forecast and we lived in the North Pole. I do agree with that and the prospects of some big convection later. All the parameters are there for some locally very heavy falls and associated lightning. Yes, looking like more widespread snowfall for Friday and Saturday so everyone should see something at some point.

Going to take a walk to the beach Thursday morning when we have coastal gusts approaching 50mph, air temperatures of -2C and 850hpa temperatures of -16C. It's going to feel incredibly cold!!!! :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
Just now, Lowestoft Weather said:

It is a lovely part of the World. We only moved here last year after living near Cambridge for 30 years. Looking forward to Spring now though and some beach weather.

When you say 'final window' that is 24 - 30 hours of potentially heavy snow showers which isn't too bad for this part of the World. I'd be a little more disappointed if that's all that was forecast and we lived in the North Pole. I do agree with that and the prospects of some big convection later. All the parameters are there for some locally very heavy falls and associated lightning. Yes, looking like more widespread snowfall for Friday and Saturday so everyone should see something at some point.

Going to take a walk to the beach Thursday morning when we have coastal gusts approaching 50mph, air temperatures of -2C and 850hpa temperatures of -16C. It's going to feel incredibly cold!!!! :cold:

Yes, but are the same areas going to be affected or are we likely to see the showers spread inland? 

For the Essex/Suffolk coast, parts of Norfolk and for Kent it’s been an excellent spell for snow so far. It hasn’t been yet for elsewhere in the region. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

ECU1-24.GIF?27-12

Kink over us for tonight. Might be a large clump of snow that heads West over us tonight. 

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, SN0WM4N said:

ECU1-24.GIF?27-12

Kink over us for tonight. Might be a large clump of snow that heads West over us tonight. 

Keeping a close eye on that... I reckon EA regions best chances are from that. I also have a feeling the models may be downplaying the extent of precip with that 'system' a bit.... at least hoping they are ! :D 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Matty88 said:

Keeping a close eye on that... I reckon EA regions best chances are from that. I also have a feeling the models may be downplaying the extent of precip with that 'system' a bit.... at least hoping they are ! :D 

This is the best chance for us as a whole to see something. I have 6-7cm right now but take an hour drive west you can half that maybe even more.

Posted

Sorry to be greedy but there's plenty of snow and showers here :yahoo:

A further 1cm in the past 10 minutes we must be nearing 5cm.. out with my measuring tape i shall go once this shower stops!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Still snowing quite heavily here,I got up an hour ago,and it was snowing then,hoping it continues for a bit longer,need to see more ppn building though,I fear if the sun comes,it will do what it did yesterday and melt things fast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
25 minutes ago, claret047 said:

Hello Number 23 Come in Please your time is up!

On a serious note as far as Springfield and probably the rest of the Chelmsford area is concerned we enjoyed a much better snow event before Christmas. We just have a thin veneer of snow on our back lawn. Indeed the frost seems thicker than the snow.

As far as Thursday onwards is concerned there is much debate on the MAD thread, one  moment we are going to see snowed in the next there is much gnashing of teeth and reaching for the anti-depressants. We will just have to be patient to see how it all pans out as it is all so very uncertain. It could be we enjoy a bit if luck for one. Time will tell.

Kind Regards

Dave

Hi Dave - Yup December beats this hands down if not for depth of cold. 

I think the slight theme of disappointment is justified this morning. The models had been flirting with something all winter, so when we finally reeled it in and the warnings started dribbling out it seemed we were well placed.

Still impressive call on the SSW effects by those in the MOD with many getting a good result, just looks like it'll be a near miss for us this year. 

To use a snooker analogy there were fifteen reds on the table and four over the pocket, but somehow we ended up tucked up behind the black!

Will keep an eye on developments with interest, but personally I'm more than ready for Spring now. Hopefully we'll get a nice breakdown out of it. 

Cheers, 

• Like 3

Posted

more of a E/NE flow now so showers coming a bit more in land.Windows due to change to a direct E soon so may be some showers moving into London,Surrey,Sussex and tonight a direct E so more chance tonight but feel the showers need the suns warmth to develop,we will see

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, danm said:

Hoping for more widespread snow showers tonight, as from tomorrow it will dry out across the region as winds turn to the SE. 

Then onto Friday - hopefully we’ll all see some decent snowfall before the milder weather sets in over the weekend.

looking at the BBC and MetO, confidence levels for Snow in NE London is 40-50%...

Posted

Herts County Council expecting snow showers to increase as the morning goes on, gritters going out again soon. 

Hopefully we'll see showers more inland for everyone.

We've also got a real chance of more snow moving westwards overnight tonight when the winds shift again.

• Like 3

Posted

The showers aren't too heavy here but they've been very persistent so we seem to be doing very well in my corner of the region!

Posted

Euro 4 is party time this evening indications of ANOTHER streamer then a more organised band of snow for the entire region 

18022800_2700.gif.f770c6e00acb5909a2209e70f47cf803.gif   18022806_2700.gif.724560c5783f2ad3494c7cd85bf7e9aa.gif

• Like 4

Posted

Well we got between 2-3” overnight here in Halesworth, roads slow but passable on my 34 mile round trip school run to Lowestoft this morning, better on the return journey due to the sun thawing some of the snow. @Lowestoft Weather Lovely rough Collie you have there, I have a blue Merle rough, who returned home from our walk at 6.30 this morning with many snow balls stuck to his fluffy feet :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, Heavy snowfall, Thunder and lightning, Stormy weather

Yesterday, Thurrock received two very light and very short snow showers. My area according to the Met Office had an amber warning but no snow  fell overnight or in the early hours as the sky became very clear with hardly any cloud cover.  I wonder if the heavy snow showers set for Thurrock have only been postponed and not cancelled.

Posted
4 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Euro 4 is party time this evening indications of ANOTHER streamer then a more organised band of snow for the entire region 

18022800_2700.gif.f770c6e00acb5909a2209e70f47cf803.gif   18022806_2700.gif.724560c5783f2ad3494c7cd85bf7e9aa.gif

I'm pretty sure that square gap on the second chart is where I am. Bahahaha