Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
7 minutes ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

With the sunshine gaining strength snow showers should move further inland during the day. 

These setups almost always deliver to coastal counties of Eastern England. Showers generally ease in intensity as they move inland as there is no moisture at ground level to absorb into the atmosphere. Inland will do better at the end of the week with the low pressure and more organised snowfall.

Lots of large anvils shooting up in the North Sea at present. Bodes well for later!!!

So what enabled 1991 to see such widespread snow well inland?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I think everyone's best bet is the low pressure moving up later in the week. Apart from coastal areas, most inland places (me included) will only get some decaying snow showers moving through quickly and not amounting to much. At the moment (despite uppers being around -12) it doesn't feel desperately cold, but I think tomorrow and Thursday will feel raw with the biting wind setting in.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy or sunny but not too hot!
2 hours ago, Number 23 said:

Lol well if I squint it looks like we've had a cm...You have to say if thu and fri don't look like delivering now this has been an abject flop for most of us. 

Way it goes I know, but this week is now going to struggle to be the best event of the last three months for me, let alone the last ten years! Disappointing given the options on the table last week and the rarity of Easterlies nowadays. 

Was hoping to see at least something by now but looks like possibly a few showers today and then dry again. If yesterday is anything to go by that will melt sharpish. 

Cold can do one now, haven't read the MOD yet but presuming if there's no blizzard expected for here then the warm air is being held off for now.

Bloody weather eh?

Hello Number 23 Come in Please your time is up!

On a serious note as far as Springfield and probably the rest of the Chelmsford area is concerned we enjoyed a much better snow event before Christmas. We just have a thin veneer of snow on our back lawn. Indeed the frost seems thicker than the snow.

As far as Thursday onwards is concerned there is much debate on the MAD thread, one  moment we are going to see snowed in the next there is much gnashing of teeth and reaching for the anti-depressants. We will just have to be patient to see how it all pans out as it is all so very uncertain. It could be we enjoy a bit if luck for one. Time will tell.

Kind Regards

Dave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
2 minutes ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

-8C at 08:00 in our region on 27th February is very cold. What are you expecting -50C?

Haha. Maybe I'm impervious to it. Mind you last night I didn't end up sleeping on top of the (summer) duvet so it might have been a little chilly :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

just had a flurry here that lasted well over half hour. sunny but hardly any cloud and heard quite a few people surprised of the snow. bitter breeze. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

So what enabled 1991 to see such widespread snow well inland?

Longevity of the easterly cold spell. We are a little over 24 hours into this one which explains why some aren't able to build an igloo in there garden just yet. Reports of snowfall across our region will increase as the week progresses. It's what happens as cold spells take a grip and precipitation varies in location hour by hour, day by day.

Anyway, going to take a walk up Oulton Broad later as I suspect will start freezing over with the incredibly low dew points.

Sea freezing over!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
21 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Thursday the impact is further south west...but our region still in disruptive zone..moreso(west of region)..

Friday there is back band resurge of emma...then the whole region look to face blizzard condition as isobars tighten-and the LPS intensifies!!!

And overheads are more than amicable for all precip-as snow!!!.

Into saturday perhaps -less cold!!

What’s the snow depth indications right now 

Edited by john mac

Posted

Rating of this cold spell: poor to very poor. Made worse by the ludicrous overegging by the BBC. The snowy snap in December was far better - a good fall in Epping Forest and a snowy, sledgy Sunday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Big storm!

Beautifully cold this morning in Harefield -5 when I took the dog out according to the thermometer very nice! Anything that comes is going to be fun over the next 48hrs or so but I am enjoying the cold weather and the beauty it brings regardless. Rather this, than cold, dark, cloudy and rainy! :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
5 minutes ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

Longevity of the easterly cold spell. We are a little over 24 hours into this one which explains why some aren't able to build an igloo in there garden just yet. Reports of snowfall across our region will increase as the week progresses. It's what happens as cold spells take a grip and precipitation varies in location hour by hour, day by day.

Anyway, going to take a walk up Oulton Broad later as I suspect will start freezing over with the incredibly low dew points.

Sea freezing over!!

Stayed in lowestoft with my daughter's last year,at the highbury b&b,visited oulton broad,lovely there,had a lovely boat trip out on the broads

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms, Heavy snow

Whats the set up today?  More showers through coastal areas? Metoffice has me down for heavy snow tonight but none during the day??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Work cancelled HUZZAH! 

Showers are swinging back to favour our coasts again then will push inland but this kills off the convection.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and not to hot

can anyone tell me why the band of snow showers approaching Peterborough break up and go round us then re join at the other side please?

seems to have done that a lot of times over past couple of days 

thanks 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Lowestoft Weather said:

Sea freezing over!!

As far as convective activity is concerned for us in EA/SE - the next 24-30 hours is the 'final' window before drier air gets in towards the end of tomorrow. Expect some big convection until then -hopefully for most of EA, however once this passes - if you've got no snow by 6pm tomorrow then I'm afraid the games over until the next organised system arrives Friday night... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Got my eye on the blob at Clacton, if it doesn't fall apart on it's way to me I might just get a bit. But then I've been saying this to myself all night!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Warm summers Cold Frosty winters

Around 3" of snow cover here this morning in North Norfolk -5.1 on my weather station sun just come out more coud looming 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Hoping for more widespread snow showers tonight, as from tomorrow it will dry out across the region as winds turn to the SE. 

Then onto Friday - hopefully we’ll all see some decent snowfall before the milder weather sets in over the weekend.