Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A good covering of snow here with the rarity of thundersnow last night.

Widespread minimum temperature's below -5C this morning across our region with several stations reporting -8C. 

Potential for minus double digit temperature's tonight I suspect.

What will become noticeable late tomorrow is the strong to gale force east wind which is going to make it feel absolutely brutal especially with -17C 850hpa air aloft. This will feel like Siberia for sure!!

Anyway, looking forward to some more heavy snow and likelyhood of thundersnow later as big convection takes place out to sea.

I feel sorry for the members that have had little or no snow, I can sense your frustrations coming out in your attention seeking posts knocking down this rare exceptional cold spell at present. Lets hope 'for us all' that you get some snow later, so we don't have to suffer to much negativity on here. 

LW 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

Expect upgrades through today via more impact-as wind veers more east/south east.

Showers getting much further inland later today into tonight.

And thurs /fri looks more and more likely for our region (disruptive type)

!!!!

So much going on over coming days!!!.

The beast will deliver....that im sure!!!

Edit; region wide.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

The met have released a rather stunning image of the precise moment the beast made landfall in our region. 

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/storms
4 minutes ago, essex coast matt said:

6cm here in Clacton

IMG_20180227_070601999.jpg

Only a  inch or so here in hockley more showers through the day so i see

Posted

Morning all,

For a change we did well over night and we probably have around 4 to 6cms here.  This morning blue skies and chilly but a few snow flurries are already being blown in on the wind.

I hope it starts to get a bit more wide spread over the next couple of days...  but I would like it to let up so that I can fly out of Gatwick on Friday afternoon.

Cheers all

FC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Okay tho is new. There’s not a cloud in the sky and I can see Lillie fakes of snow falling!?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
5 minutes ago, essex coast matt said:

6cm here in Clacton

I'm convinced the problem lies in the current habit of measuring everything in cms. Now if we just went back to good old inches we'd currently be wading through the stuff :closedeyes:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/storms
21 minutes ago, Essexgooner said:

Had around 3 and half inches here.....

20180227_070807.jpg

20180227_075438.jpg

5 minutes ago, essex coast matt said:

6cm here in Clacton

Only a  inch or so here in hockley more showers through the day so i see

Edited by lewis clark
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms
11 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Expect upgrades through today via more impact-as wind veers more east/south east.

Showers getting much further inland later today into tonight.

And thurs /fri looks more and more likely for our region (disruptive type)

!!!!

So much going on over coming days!!!.

The beast will deliver....that im sure!!!

Edit; region wide.

Thought that thurs/fri was gonna be better for the west and only lighter snow our region?

HIRLAM (And GFS) showing that with the change of wind we'll see showers pushing further in land - whether they accumulate too much is another story, will probably be more of an advantage for those South of London but if we're going to get anything it's over the next 24 hours. 

Edited by Uxbridge90

Posted

Oh dear me, BBC forecast emphasising snow in the N and NE, virtually nothing for the E and SE today or tomorrow. Thanks for that. Cancelled trains and schools closures rampant in the south for no reason at all. No wonder social media is tearing the Beeb and the MetO to shreds over this. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
5 minutes ago, john mac said:

Thought that thurs/fri was gonna be better for the west and only lighter snow our region?

Thursday the impact is further south west...but our region still in disruptive zone..moreso(west of region)..

Friday there is back band resurge of emma...then the whole region look to face blizzard condition as isobars tighten-and the LPS intensifies!!!

And overheads are more than amicable for all precip-as snow!!!.

Into saturday perhaps -less cold!!

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 1

Posted

If anyone needs one - someone on the Norfolk Smallholders FB page is selling a snow plough attachment :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

Cannot actually believe some of the comments this morning. You know you aren’t guaranteed any kind of weather, well, ever, right? 

We are in day 2 of an unusually cold spell, and fine, if you think this morning is regular winter after you must have a better set of thermals on than me, but it’s cold. Very cold, and be coldest day will be tomorrow by the looks of current info. Yes it’s irritating that the trains aren’t running - I am right in the thick of this, squashed into one as I type and an hour late for work,  but if people look beyond the end of their noses they would understand that temperatures as cold as this DO affect the overhead cables and rails - you don’t need snow for a train to break down.

Give he moaning a rest eh? This isn’t how I remember the regionals at all :cray:

• Like 6

Posted

Morning all, from a bright and brisk Kentish Town. My feeling is that the shower activity will build as we go through the week; I must say the fax charts look very complicated (ie interesting) for the arrival of the low in a couple of days. A stalled front usually means someone hits the jackpot....

Posted
3 minutes ago, Djdazzle said:

The problem is that we have quite a slack flow, we need a stronger flow to aid the showers moving inland.

With the sunshine gaining strength snow showers should move further inland during the day. 

These setups almost always deliver to coastal counties of Eastern England. Showers generally ease in intensity as they move inland as there is no moisture at ground level to absorb into the atmosphere. Inland will do better at the end of the week with the low pressure and more organised snowfall.

Lots of large anvils shooting up in the North Sea at present. Bodes well for later!!!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Cannot actually believe some of the comments this morning. You know you aren’t guaranteed any kind of weather, well, ever, right? 

We are in day 2 of an unusually cold spell, and fine, if you think this morning is regular winter after you must have a better set of thermals on than me, but it’s cold. Very cold, and be coldest day will be tomorrow by the looks of current info. Yes it’s irritating that the trains aren’t running - I am right in the thick of this, squashed into one as I type and an hour late for work,  but if people look beyond the end of their noses they would understand that temperatures as cold as this DO affect the overhead cables and rails - you don’t need snow for a train to break down.

Give he moaning a rest eh? This isn’t how I remember the regionals at all :cray:

Thing is, it's not particularly cold this morning, definitely not as cold as yesterday and there is zero wind compared with yesterday as well. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Finally got some snow around half 5 at home and then got caught in a heavy one in chatteris. Certainly a cold start at -4c.

Posted

Well uts -6 outside here..very bitter. And people are right. More showers..beefy ones are developing. Its very hit and miss which we knew it would be. Its not a single front carrying lots of snow. 

I havent seen the latest forcast but i suspect itll be more of the same tbh. Still exceptional for the end of feb

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun, Deep Snow, Convective Goodness, Anvil Crawlers

My weather station is currently reading -3.4c 

In my book that’s cold but we will have to agree to disagree. ??‍♀️

• Like 1

Posted

This morning is beautiful, the best cold we've had in this part of Norfolk since I moved here by far! Dropped to -7.5c overnight and we have an even covering of 3-4cm of snow on everything with snow showers still topping up the footprints every 10-30 minutes to keep it looking good :D Very happy!

• Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Thing is, it's not particularly cold this morning, definitely not as cold as yesterday and there is zero wind compared with yesterday as well. 

-8C at 08:00 in our region on 27th February is very cold. What are you expecting -50C?

Edited by Lowestoft Weather
  • Like 1