Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I love an all nighter!

Been snowing in Penrith for last two hours and we have 2-3 cms of lying dry snow temperature -2.3c.

The whole system seems much further north than forecast which is great for our region with loads more to come.

Little loss of snowfall intensity as it crosses the Pennines but evaporates once it hits the Lakeland Cells.

Few bonus for me as MetO had Cumbria outside the warning zone.

Ndy

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice
33 minutes ago, SN0WM4N said:

Streaming straight to us. Let's hope that this weekend upgrades so many others can get some snow.

you still with me sno ?

that cell passing Clacton is really intensifying now with astonishing snow rates - could be an absolute peach :D:D 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Very divided for Peterborough. North of the city has seen several cm's courtesy of the wash streamer. 

Posted
Just now, Essex Chelle said:

Screenshot_20180227-024539.png

not quite the 'good 8 inches' Ulrika Jonsson once boasted about ;-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep untouched powdery snow and red hot beaches sipping cocktails
9 minutes ago, Rinse The Raindrops said:

how much you got do you think?

No idea it is too dark to measure from upstairs and if I go down the dogs will want to go out which means they will ruin the perfect smooth untouched snow ?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Rinse The Raindrops said:

be happy with 5!

that's what I used to say to my ex . . . to no avail

Posted
9 minutes ago, StLuke said:

Coming down thick and fast again in Southend. 

we're right on the edge of that shower, so only light here

Posted
1 minute ago, Speedbird said:

we're right on the edge of that shower, so only light here

Incredible heavy 50p size flakes coming down, next shower round Burnham should hit you if it maintains it strength on it's west side. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow of course
1 minute ago, StLuke said:

Incredible heavy 50p size flakes coming down, next shower round Burnham should hit you if it maintains it strength on it's west side. 

moon shinning here

Posted
2 minutes ago, StLuke said:

indeedy . . . also a good cell behind just off the Felixstowe coast ;-)

Posted

Temporary pause while in between showers, currently have 6-7cm on the ground, would like to think 10cm isn't out the question by the morning if the train of showers maintain their current course. :)

Posted
Just now, StLuke said:

Temporary pause while in between showers, currently have 6-7cm on the ground, would like to think 10cm isn't out the question by the morning if the train of showers maintain their current course. :)

weird, we have no more that 4 cm here - next shower imminent

Posted
2 minutes ago, Speedbird said:

weird, we have no more that 4 cm here - next shower imminent

Usually the other way around, I normally find the snow is worse when I travel to work in Leigh-on-Sea from Southend. Just started snowing again, although nothing on what is hitting Maidstone over the estuary! 

Posted
19 minutes ago, StLuke said:

Usually the other way around, I normally find the snow is worse when I travel to work in Leigh-on-Sea from Southend. Just started snowing again, although nothing on what is hitting Maidstone over the estuary! 

fear not - that huge shower just offshore Clacton has us in its sights . . . . 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

Have just come off the phone with the chief in Exeter and new warnings will be issued within the hour regarding Thursday/Friday. It is not good news if you're looking for a major snow event here in East Anglia. They are going with a SW event mainly and indications are it won't get this far East now.

Short-term. The change of wind direction (NE to ENE or E) will now occur early afternoon which sadly is when the showers will start to loose their kick. However, there will be widespread shower activity over much of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk this morning.

There is a strong signal for showers on Wednesday in Norfolk and Suffolk, less so in Essex.

Cheif was happy with current warnings in place for London, South-East and East Anglia so no change expected here

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, essexweather said:

Have just come off the phone with the chief in Exeter and new warnings will be issued within the hour regarding Thursday/Friday. It is not good news if you're looking for a major snow event here in East Anglia. They are going with a SW event mainly and indications are it won't get this far East now.

Short-term. The change of wind direction (NE to ENE or E) will now occur early afternoon which sadly is when the showers will start to loose their kick. However, there will be widespread shower activity over much of Essex, Suffolk and Norfolk this morning.

There is a strong signal for showers on Wednesday in Norfolk and Suffolk, less so in Essex.

Cheif was happy with current warnings in place for London, South-East and East Anglia so no change expected here

that's unfortunate - best for us to make use of the next 24 hours ;-)

Posted
2 hours ago, mitre10 said:

Quick question... 

Although I have a subscription to the NW radar, I downloaded an Android app called Dark Sky after seeing it mentioned on here somewhere in the last day or two.

After playing with it, seems pretty good and user friendly with a lot of info. That said, anything could impress at first glance with some flashy graphics.

Wondered if anyone else has used it for any length of time and what your opinions are? 

As an app, I can't fault it really. Have been using it for approx 15 months and it will send a notification a short while beforehand warning of 5 minutes of Drizzle beginning in the next ten minutes. It does drizzle for 5 mins too :D That hyperlocal warning is extremely handy and all of it's other benefits seem to be pretty spot on too, the wind direction, temperature (including feels like temp) , dewpoints,  humidity, precip % and of course the radar. Very occasionally it has actual weather type a lil off but one click report with actual weather type is all that's needed if you can bothered.

Use it for the free period and have a play about and enjoy it, that's what I did :) Spent the 3 quid afterwards because I didn't want to lose it's use, good luck and have fun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Woken up this morning to a......

Frost. :rofl:

Getting the feeling that this cold spell could be the gaming equivalent constantly rolling snake eyes.

• Like 1