Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

Plus the amber warning starts from 2am. The wind is currently coming in from the NE, with forecasts indicating it will start swinging to a more ENE direction from about 3am, which will improve chances of a streamer: http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast
As it stands from the latest radars, there is a good conveyor belt of ppn coming off the North Dutch coast which will be propelling our convection as we enter the early hours. 

Still on track as far as the Met Office warnings go, so t is another case of radar watching.

Radar North Europe .png

Sno, hopefully we can see showers start to push inland again soon enough.

Also, during the early hours of Wednesday it sounds like we could do alright as the winds swing towards the south? Interesting times ahead once again. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)
4 minutes ago, saint said:

Sno, hopefully we can see showers start to push inland again soon enough.

Also, during the early hours of Wednesday it sounds like we could do alright as the winds swing towards the south? Interesting times ahead once again. 

Without doubt... Even I am expecting to get a covering at some point which, considering my location, is a rarity!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Sno' problem said:

Without doubt... Even I am expecting to get a covering at some point which, considering my location, is a rarity!

Still a lot of surprises to come... Felt like today was a bit of a bonus considering how dry forecasts and models were for those of us north of the Thames. 

Posted

All the fun is yet to come!

The showers moving through Suffolk and Norfolk look to be holding their strength now, so they should start making their way inland soon.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme warmth And Extreme blizzards.
14 minutes ago, Big Snow said:

No one ever said once in a hundred years, unless you dreamt it.

Local Radio nvm. Actually got a nice white garden at sea level so. That has not happened for a good 20 years. Was just expecting a beast tbh.

Posted
1 minute ago, Will Whittaker said:

Local Radio nvm. Actually got a nice white garden at sea level so. That has not happened for a good 20 years. Was just expecting a beast tbh.

Today is a bonus was not expected. Hope to see some convection off the North Sea over the coming days.

I am just being boring because i am not getting enough snow.

Spits out dummy.  Its been about 30 yr since the last  viable easterly  to give good snow depth on my coast. Was hoping for a white out. Good luck all. hope it smashes somewhere.

10 minutes ago, Sno' problem said:

All the fun is yet to come!

The showers moving through Suffolk and Norfolk look to be holding their strength now, so they should start making their way inland soon.

Really? One blob I was looking at on a line to London now fading.

EDIT: More than one. Yellows to light greens to blues the closer it gets

Edited by SF-02

Posted
17 minutes ago, SF-02 said:

Really? One blob I was looking at on a line to London now fading.

EDIT: More than one. Yellows to light greens to blues the closer it gets

It should change as the wind changes

• Like 1

Posted

Nice. I reckon you are gonna be hit hard overnight. Thanks for pics.

Just push some up the coast please. ; ) we are getting 5 second bursts. very strange, still not covering the ground. If all else fails  coming to Lowestoft tomorrow. Best Cod and chips in the east btw.

• Like 1

Posted

Wow, it's quiet in here tonight and having read back a few pages, quite a few annoyed/disappointed posters!!

Think the problem stems from the current set-up being called the Beast from the East. That suggests to the mind Russia & Siberia, the most common next connection with these places being heavy and prolonged snow, several feet deep etc. Some of the media in the UK positively encourages this train of thought.

The "Beast" was only ever meant to bring an uncommon period of deep cold to the UK - which it has.

Any accompanying snowfall is a sideshow rather than a certainty which I think a few people have misunderstood or forgotten. 

Also remember that we are only one day in to a cold spell likely to go on for another three days at least. There is every chance that most in the region will see a covering of snow at some point - probably not the amount hoped for but things can change at short notice in this unusual situation.

Chins up - most years we would just be looking at an outlook of mild temperatures and rain at the beginning of March - lets see what happens!

• Like 7

Posted

Well said Mitre!

The showers are beginning to make slight inroads and the wind seems to be veering to more of an ENE direction and picking up, so I expect the ppn to start building slowly now. 

The ultimate question is, how far into our region will the heavier ppn go? I think the Met Office warnings will be fairly accurate as to where the heaviest snowfall will be, but it may move further North, depending on when and how far the wind veers to more of an Easterly.

Look out for a mini streamer that may build from the Blackwater Estuary (where Maldon is on the Essex coast on the radar map) it could boost things for the North Essex and London area.

Edited by Sno' problem
  • Like 1

Posted

Radar is getting far more organised now over Suffolk and Essex.

Radar shot 12.45 am.png

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Sno' problem said:

Radar is getting far more organised now over Suffolk and Essex.

Radar shot 12.45 am.png

Greater London becoming more in focus!

• Like 2

Posted

It certainly is! I am still on the fringes, but some parts of London will come to a standstill.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Finally getting some in SWF. I got a couple of minutes of watching until they switched off the lamp posts!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and ice

ok, doesn't seem like i've missed too much since 9pm . . . up now for the duration and it looks like it's about to kick off here in SE Essex :)

Posted
3 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

Finally getting some in SWF. I got a couple of minutes of watching until they switched off the lamp posts!

Get a lamp at the window... That's my current method! ;)

• Like 1

Posted

Cheers Sno'

Hardly ever post on the forum despite joining a while back.

Just looked at my profile, its actually almost 10 years ago - where has that time gone!!

Prefer to read and try to learn from the folks on here with a lot of knowledge - Steve Murr, BA, Chionomanic, Captain S to mention just a few.

Was a complete novice back then but would like to think that I have a better understanding now of models and synoptics from their posts over the years. Still class myself as a complete amateur though - every day is a school-day!!

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is that no-one knows what will happen over the next few days, I've seen things that more experienced people though were odds-on to happen go into reverse at the last minute and conversely, something popping up out of the blue (snow particularly) that no-one saw coming.

I've had very little from this set-up so far but its good to watch developments and have potential for interesting weather for some parts rather than the usual sunny spells and rain!   

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, mitre10 said:

Cheers Sno'

Just looked at my profile, its actually almost 10 years ago - where has that time gone!!

Prefer to read and try to learn from the folks on here with a lot of knowledge - Steve Murr, BA, Chionomanic, Captain S to mention just a few.

Was a complete novice back then but would like to think that I have a better understanding now of models and synoptics from their posts over the years. Still class myself as a complete amateur though - every day is a school-day!!

One thing I'm pretty sure of though is that no-one knows what will happen over the next few days, I've seen things that more experienced people though were odds-on to happen go into reverse at the last minute and conversely, something popping up out of the blue (snow particularly) that no-one saw coming.

I've had very little from this set-up so far but its good to watch developments and have potential for interesting weather for some parts rather than the usual sunny spells and rain!   

You speak the truth my friend. These situations can fool the models and us at the same time.

• Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, mitre10 said:

Cheers Sno'

Hi again Mitre. I thought I remembered the name from years ago! :D
I have so far been between all the action, but I am pretty confident that even my location will see some lying snow... Possibly within the next couple of hours. 

Radar looking good, ppn is now holding quite well as it moves inland and the wind should be veering to a more favourable direction shortly.

Another late night I reckon! 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, moogyboobles said:

You are in the firing line for a beefier shower very soon it seems. Time to get the anglepoise lamp out.