Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

East Anglia and North London weather discussion (25/02/2018) onward

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

As said, the main stuff isn't supposed to start until tonight! So plenty of time. Noticed the showers are intensifying by the minute on radar, indicating colder uppers and lower pressure 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
2 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

As said, the main stuff isn't supposed to start until tonight! So plenty of time. Noticed the showers are intensifying by the minute on radar, indicating colder uppers and lower pressure 

Really? Looking at the forecasts it shows showers dying back to the coast after dark, maybe due to the sun not aiding the beefing up of showers?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
5 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

(-: I just can't stop looking out the window, snow flakes/sun and then radar and then this forum..

Am working from home today and tomorrow, tis so hard to get anything done with these distractions :gathering::snowman-emoji::cold::yahoo:

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

When does the proper cold actually arrive, all we're getting at the moment is the snow equivalent of drizzle.

Loads of cruddy little pellets for 20 mins then sunshine and repeat.  I'm starting to wonder if this is actually going to happen in North Norfolk at all.  Fingers crossed for overnight and tomorrow.  Good luck everyone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Seems like some people are just expecting a grey sky and hours of snow - which was NEVER FORECAST!! Not for today anyway. It'll be on and off showers. Just pray one heads your way, some people will miss out. Nothing here so far apart fro a few dandruff flakes floating around in the wind. Guess I'd better have a hissy fit too as I don't have a 3ft high snow drift:D

Posted

Wow just had first couple of snow flakes waft by in east Peterborough, keeping a eye on whittlesea wind turbines they just need to be pointing a bit more north eastly so I can get some action from the wash

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Also - I know it sounds obvious, but for those radar watchers, you really need one of the green/yellow blobs to pass overhead. The light blues aren't really going to deliver much (if any) real snowfall. Doppler radar also struggles to accurately assess snowfall when compared to rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Seems like some people are just expecting a grey sky and hours of snow - which was NEVER FORECAST!! Not for today anyway. It'll be on and off showers. Just pray one heads your way, some people will miss out. Nothing here so far apart fro a few dandruff flakes floating around in the wind. Guess I'd better have a hissy fit too as I don't have a 3ft high snow drift:D

I'm quite pleased with the shower activity so far, it's definitely more than forecasted for this morning.

My only concern is why so many are reporting rapid thaws of laying snow considering the sub zero air temps and dew points. Sublimation I get, however wet surfaces indicates snow melt. 

• Like 1

Posted

Relax people.

Wait until later....

See below 700hpa vent vert and watch the orange/reds from midnight to midday tomorrow. A tell tale since of things kicking off and probably why a Convergence line is on the latest fax indicating particularly a Thames Streamer.

tempresult_hsj6.gif

Associated snow depths as well

tempresult_jzo7.gif

The above points to an interesting next 24hrs. Anything received in daylight hours today should just be viewed as a bonus. Of course this is only a guide and showed be viewed with caution rather than scrutiny. I am quietly confident most of us will awake to some form of covering by dawn tomorrow, but as always in this setup some more than others.

Edited by Southender
  • Like 2

Posted

There is a line of more beefy showers heading across the north sea - we should get an indication over the next hour where they will be headed and whether they retain intensity once crossing land. 

20A8D153-BB89-4A21-86B8-7A017D0E9035.thumb.jpeg.0e1e6a24b9dec676df34e4266f5b6c33.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
3 minutes ago, danm said:

I'm quite pleased with the shower activity so far, it's definitely more than forecasted for this morning.

My only concern is why so many are reporting rapid thaws of laying snow considering the sub zero air temps and dew points. Sublimation I get, however wet surfaces indicates snow melt. 

Temps are in general slightly above normal (+0.7c here) - it's the strength of the sun on a very limited dusting of snow. 1 step forwards 1 step back.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

Very heavy snow shower currently, been a little frustrating as only been catching the edge of the shower clouds, so flurries lasting maybe 5 mins, sun comes out, it melts, wet surgface, next lot doesn't settle. Interestingly the showers have been anything from pellets to enormous fat flakes (currently). NOt much wind, been working outside all morning and haven't succumbed to hat/gloves/scarf/balaclava/neck warmer* delete as appropriate!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

looks like any showers heading my way are breaking up. shields at maximum, captain. 

Posted

people have to realize that Monday we are where not really expecting snow and the main event is Monday evening,overnight Tuesday and Wednesday. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Big dark cloud about to engulf Chingford!!

Posted
6 minutes ago, Southender said:

Relax people.

Wait until later....

See below 700hpa vent vert and watch the orange/reds from midnight to midday tomorrow. A tell tale since of things kicking off and probably why a Convergence line is on the latest fax indicating particularly a Thames Streamer.

tempresult_hsj6.gif

Associated snow depths as well

tempresult_jzo7.gif

The above points to an interesting next 24hrs. Anything received in daylight hours today should just be viewed as a bonus. Of course this is only a guide and showed be viewed with caution rather than scrutiny. I am quietly confident most of us will awake to some form of covering by dawn tomorrow, but as always in this setup some more than others.

And I'm just below the streamer coming of near the wash. So I expect 0 lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

2 minutes ago, danm said:

Yeah, it's all going fast here since it was such a thin covering. Shed roof dry as a bone now, mainly grass and flower beds in the shade retaining what fell. Pathway in the garden is saturated.

I'm awaiting a greater shower intensity and frequency later to retain any coverage. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and not to hot
13 minutes ago, laddie said:

Wow just had first couple of snow flakes waft by in east Peterborough, keeping a eye on whittlesea wind turbines they just need to be pointing a bit more north eastly so I can get some action from the wash

which part of Peterborough are you? I'm in Orton and saw a few flakes this morning but now in my office with no windows. do you think we will do well this week or will they miss us like normal 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

At work in central London and it's a mix between snow and graupel at the moment. Strange!