Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

Iol.. I play football and i'll go visit family weekends, but during the week  I like being tucked away during the winter months.

What do you grow in your allotment?

Hehe, a lot of people hibernate in winter. Do you play football every week? Who do you play for? 

Grow a mixture of fruit and vegetables on the plot, tend to grow stuff that’s more expensive in the shops, like tender stem broccoli, cherry tomatoes, apricots and then all the rest is stuff is stuff I love to eat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, c00ps said:

This looks interesting...

855D4C15-A506-4FC4-992A-26974FBB904C.png

Yes been watching it all evening. Still below freezing here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rambo said:

Radar says its rain, but the temp down there looks still to be at or below freezing!

Anyone from south coast confirm whether thats rain, freezing rain....or massive outside chance its snow?

Hmmm could change to snow over land, be interesting to hear if anyone down there gets anything 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Southender said:

Haha, quality. 

 

 Animals are fascinating and that dog is hilarious :rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, c00ps said:

This looks interesting...

855D4C15-A506-4FC4-992A-26974FBB904C.png

image.thumb.png.dad9a5208413a1a90e17d41b4c6103f4.png

further east than planned 

Definitely sending some energy off to the East. next hour watching that radar  could be interesting and not just for tonight if that low is sending a shortwave east we will pull the colder Dew points and uppers back in, might get a bit more snow tomorrow, lets see what is does and what 18z says before declaring this spell over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Storme said:

Yes been watching it all evening. Still below freezing here.

I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

-1.5 here in Farnham, 

dp - 2.2 

both rising, feels very cold still though! 

That blog should reach me about 12 by the radar, meto says sleet, bbc says heavy snow! 

Still hanging in there!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, a lot of people hibernate in winter. Do you play football every week? Who do you play for? 

Grow a mixture of fruit and vegetables on the plot, tend to grow stuff that’s more expensive in the shops, like tender stem broccoli, cherry tomatoes, apricots and then all the rest is stuff is stuff I love to eat

 

I grow food, too. The gr8 thing about severe cold is that it zaps slugs, though I'm a bit concerned for a female great crested newt that was on the prowl for food at night two weeks ago. Hope she got snug at the first hint of the beast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh for god sake!! I thought it was all over, and I'd put myself in 2nd Jan mood.......but now it looks like I've gotta spend another night radar watching haha, I cant take any more surprises!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, a lot of people hibernate in winter. Do you play football every week? Who do you play for? 

Grow a mixture of fruit and vegetables on the plot, tend to grow stuff that’s more expensive in the shops, like tender stem broccoli, cherry tomatoes, apricots and then all the rest is stuff is stuff I love to eat

The best reason for growing your own is the fabulous taste that you never get with shop brought produce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

 

I grow food, too. The gr8 thing about severe cold is that it zaps slugs, though I'm a bit concerned for a female great crested newt that was on the prowl for food at night two weeks ago. Hope she got snug at the first hint of the beast.

Do you have a plot too, or grow at home? Hope the newt is ok, never seen one! Do the slugs get killed by the cold? Hope so lol. Another critter I’d like to see gone is the false widow spider, numbers here have just exploded in the last few years. I like our native spiders but those can do one!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pages said:

image.thumb.png.dad9a5208413a1a90e17d41b4c6103f4.png

further east than planned 

Definitely sending some energy off to the East. next hour watching that radar  could be interesting and not just for tonight if that low is sending a shortwave east we will pull the colder Dew points and uppers back in, might get a bit more snow tomorrow, lets see what is does and what 18z says before declaring this spell over.

It's a spin off, mini low, i think, judging by the pressure charts. Hope it contimues east and deepens. That would be more than fun.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stainesbloke said:

Do you have a plot too, or grow at home? Hope the newt is ok, never seen one! Do the slugs get killed by the cold? Hope so lol. Another critter I’d like to see gone is the false widow spider, numbers here have just exploded in the last few years. I like our native spiders but those can do one!!

At home. Lots of newts here.  Yes, cold kills slugs. I reckon i got bitten by a false widow spider 2 years ago. Talk about painful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, seaside 60 said:

The best reason for growing your own is the fabulous taste that you never get with shop brought produce. 

So true! The taste is so different. My carrots, for example, are just ‘fragrant’, so different to watery supermarket produce. Plus I know no chemicals have touched my food.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Hehe, a lot of people hibernate in winter. Do you play football every week? Who do you play for? 

Grow a mixture of fruit and vegetables on the plot, tend to grow stuff that’s more expensive in the shops, like tender stem broccoli, cherry tomatoes, apricots and then all the rest is stuff is stuff I love to eat

I love my fruits and veg.. That's really good though and I bet it keeps you fit too?

I play for a vets team on Saturdays..

Edited by D.V.R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That mini low is due to split in two as well as being rain, so sadly I think thats the snow tap well and truly off!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

At home. Lots of newts here.  Yes, cold kills slugs. I reckon i got bitten by a false widow spider 2 years ago. Talk about painful. 

Do newts eat garden pests? I suppose they like moisture? Did you see the spider that bit you? So many in this area, they’re very efficient killers but scary as fcuk. What do you grow?

Edited by stainesbloke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, D.V.R said:

I love my fruits and veg.. That's really good though and I bet it keeps you fit too?

I play for a vets team on Saturdays..

Yes, it’s hard work, get a short rest in December and January, then the work starts again. Definitely keeps you fit, I’d recommend it. I bet the football does too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Temp now 1.3, rising rapidly. Probably the hottest it's been all week 

And Raining. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Yes, it’s hard work, get a short rest in December and January, then the work starts again. Definitely keeps you fit, I’d recommend it. I bet the football does too?

Definitely does, mate.. I can't function properly without it:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...