Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Well, if this turns out to be our last snow of the season, then overall I have to say it’s been a good winter. After 4 long suffering years of absolute crap (2013/14 to 2016/17), winter 2017/18 has brought us our coldest spell of weather since 2010, or possibly even 1991 in terms of depth of cold, if not longevity. We’ve seen several ice days, bitterly cold weather, lots of dry, powdery snow, snow lying in central London (rare!) and no marginality whatsoever. This one will be remembered for a long time. The only downside is that it hasn’t lasted longer than 5 days which is a shame, but a great 5 days it has been. 

Added to that, some of us also had a good snowfall on 10th December (3 inches of snow here in north London). That day alone was more snow than the previous 4 winters combined. 

So 2017/18 winter won’t go into the record books as whole, but it’s delivered the goods for many of us at last.

• Like 2

Posted

Snow has now stopped, but for me it was the best snow of the period. The snow wasn’t as powdery dry, plus with good cloud cover, there wasn’t any sunshine melting the snow that had fallen, plus there was very little wind. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

One last thing from me ! A big thanks to Steve murr... we’re so luck having him in are thread with his great knowledge!!!! Cheers mate ❤️❤️❤️

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just went out for a walk before it all goes, still chuffing cold, cheers all for an entertaining week and all the expert knowledge given freely.

Now what's this about snow next week?

IMG_20180302_171734.jpg

IMG_20180302_173844.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Agree with that danm

This winter has had snow in December, January, February and March which is rare for SE Essex

December 10th and between Xmas and New Year delivered, also some dustings in January.

• Like 1

Posted

Took myself for a final long walk in the snow. Really love walks when the snow is coming down. Now sat watching it before it stops.

i don’t feel like it’s heavier than yesterday but with the wind dropped it settles so well. I’ve decided I’m now against strong winds and snow :) 

For those of us that still have snow falling, really make the most of it. Get off those radars and phones and look outside. We all know painfully well that we can’t ever tell how long it’ll be until we get this again 

enjoy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

A fresh dusting in central although the flakes are little there are alot of them

Posted

A final picture. It was great here in the Downs behind Chartham, Canterbury. Best since probably 2010

20180228_125244.jpg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Bit late in the day but Newbie here (although have been a Lurker since 2010 :D) just wanted to thank you all for keeping me entertained this last couple of weeks with all the ramps..moans..will it?..won't it? All the classic one liners which make me LOL :rofl:..i feel like i know you all personally after following you all for 8 years I still don't have a Scooby about reading charts etc but enjoy reading all the posts and lampost watching which is about as good as my understanding of 'is it going to snow?' gets :) but thanks to all the members with your informative posts it makes me look knowledgable to my friends and family..Its been an awesome week with an overall total of around 1ft :yahoo:between thaws and wind and now down to around 3" left..I am a Happy bunny so now i am going to bounce off to find the 'Spring' but i will be back in November to do it all again..

Happy Spring and Summer All :friends:

• Like 7

Posted

My best winter events

1) Jan 87

2) Feb 91

3) Multiple events 79

4) Dec 10

5) Feb 09

6) Feb/Mar 18

7) Dec 81

8 ) Mar 13

Feb 86 was good too, but I was living in the west country then - it was cold but dry everywhere else.

Edited by Stu_London
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

This afternoon brought Eastbourne it's best snow all week. Shame it couldn   last. We've just had a couple of dustings here and there but it has been bitterly cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

The thin edge of the last band coming from the south has reached here, SE12.

The last hurrah of a great week.

Not spectacular, but from this second floor window the snow could be two feet deep, and I don't care that it isn't.

It's looked amazing, I've been able to travel around and see some of it and I can work from home so it wasn't even that inconvenient.

I feel sorry for the people that have suffered because of it but I don't think we should be moaning too much (unless you got none, and then I am truly sorry).

See you next year snow lovers :)

Edited by Mark
  • Like 2

Posted

Shame its all over, but its been a great week!!! Everyone's had something by the looks of it....proper communist winter haha.

Strange thing is, we've had heavy snow most of the week, and today was supposed to be heavy (ish) but we've had minor flurries in Southend. It just breaks up as it goes over the Thames....anyone got any ideas why?

Its clear the front is pretty much done, but the MetOffice have updated their forecast in the last hour to say we're due heavy snow here till 10pm!! Are they really that bad at forecasting, or do they know something we dont?

• Like 2

Posted

Well looks like everyone is leaving but I'm going to hang on another hour and watch this band just reaching the channel. Understand that it's supposed to be rain but with sub 0 temps and -3 dew point. It surely is marginal especially inline and at height.

• Like 1

Posted

looks to me like the channel is firing up a bit on radar..maybe the PPN over NW france is going to push up and start some convection. I dunno..Just a thought..

Posted
Just now, nicktabs said:

Well looks like everyone is leaving but I'm going to hang on another hour and watch this band just reaching the channel. Understand that it's supposed to be rain but with sub 0 temps and -3 dew point. It surely is marginal especially inline and at height.

Its more suited to the SW and central southern england thread though i think... not going to head this way

Posted
10 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

My best winter events

1) Jan 87

2) Feb 91

3) Multiple events 79

4) Dec 10

5) Feb 09

6) Feb/Mar 18

7) Dec 81

8 ) Mar 13

Feb 86 was good too, but I was living in the west country then - it was cold but dry everywhere else.

Agree with most of those though I was too young in 1979 or 1981!  Also March 2013 didn't quite deliver for the capital.

Stand-outs for me were Jan 87, Feb 91 and Feb 09!

I would add Jan 2013 - was very good for the western part of the region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!
57 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Wife and I, arrived at her work, Care Home in Elmstead Lane, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border, just before 3. Main road from  Lee to Chislehurst, not too bad, side roads looked lethal though. Steady snow falling, in Elmstead Lane, from when we arrived, started to peter out a bit, about 4. As stated above, radar returns show, southern edge of band, fragmenting now.

Would just like to thank, Great Plum, for his advice earlier, it prompted myself and Colette, to leave earlier, as I sensed the weather would start to close in, by 3. Although snow was quite heavy at times, it hasn't added much to the cover, here. Would also like to thank Hotspur61, for his warning about underfoot conditions, fortunately, cab  journey, was door to door but thanks, anyway.

We brought quite a few things with us and told the Care Home manageress, Colette would like to leave this old f..t, here but there's no way I could afford BUPAs, £1500 a week charge, for a room! Bromley Social Services, will have to take up the cost! :D Manageress has now press-ganged Colette, into helping out! Have told manageress, I want my own Care Plan, drawn up, and expect a bed bath, in the morning. :D

So nice to have been able to bring my Laptop, with me. Will be able to keep staff up to date, for their journeys home, when their shifts, finish at 7 pm. Colette can relax now she's on site, for tom. mornings', 7 am start Would expect to return home, tomorrow night, once expected slight thaw, kicks in. But we're prepared to stay another night, if the thaw is delayed and road conditions, still remain icy. Colette has a 7 am start, on Sunday morning too.

Any members looking for a good, reputable Care Home, to place an elderly relative, who live in the area, near Elmstead Lane, could do far worse, than this one. The staff are brilliant, including my wife!! :D My father, lived here, for 13 years, until he died in October, last year, aged 95. So that's a recommendation, in itself. And no I'm not on commission!! :D

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your evening and a bit more, radar watching!!

Regards,

Tom.:hi: 

I so very much enjoy your posts Tom. I hope you and you beautiful wife Collette get home safely, enjoy the snow and i look forward again to reading your posts again next winter. Xxx

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

I love how on here we seem to have the snow contingent and the storm contingent, only appearing at certain time of year. And then there's, me and the other inbetweeners who hang around here all year!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and hot in summer

had to abandon my van could not get up hill.

But its been a good week and thanks to everyone for the humour and up dates