Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

48 minutes ago, TN26 said:

Looks like freezing rain just approaching the coast from the south according to the radar... loads of green !

Still snow here although I think it will stop soon. If only the front would stall right now.

Snow petering out now as back edge of this front passes over.

About another inch of snow. Temp dropped back from -1.8C to -2.2C

Good winter spell this week. 

1 minute ago, Don said:

Have had a good few hours of heavy snow here near Aldershot, so not done bad today.

The Aldershot v Hatlepool game is off tomo. Tues night instead. Um, in case you're interested.

Lovely heavy snow, Nice finale to winter, looks.like staying cool/cold through March maybe an outside chance of a bit if snow at some point,  not sure if the 2nd SSW has had an effect yet?

Edited by leemondo

Snow easing now - not expecting much more - added 2cm to the existing patchy 2cm cover (4cm in total).  Not too bad but feel that we could have done a little better given the synoptics.

Anyway, onwards and upwards towards winter 18/19 (will that be the one to deliver big?)

Just now, mulzy said:

Snow easing now - not expecting much more - added 2cm to the existing patchy 2cm cover (4cm in total).  Not too bad but feel that we could have done a little better given the synoptics.

Anyway, onwards and upwards towards winter 18/19 (will that be the one to deliver big?)

Traffic is terrible if you are at work,would suggest leaving now

Are we sure it's over? Could pick up in the channel like earlier?

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 16.21.19.png

Had 45mins of decent snow almost stopped here already miss out again. Only had about 3 or 4 cm here the whole week. Onto the next!

Nice moderate snow now on the Hampshire/Surrey border - probably had 3cm from this one so far. If any of those nearby want a reminder of this snowy period in the days/weeks to come, then get yourselves to Odiham and take the road to Alton. There are huge drifts (4-5ft) at the Odiham end. This road was blocked earlier today.   

1 minute ago, mulzy said:

being further west we woz both robbed by two shortwaves which took the strength out of the flow on pretty well two out of the four days. mustn't complain though !

Thought we were meant to get 6 or 7 hrs of snow? 1hr and a quarter and had virtually stopped.

Still coming down in Charlwood. Was very slow about 45 mins ago but it' picked up again. Not the biggest of flakes but it' very pretty ☺

Teprature wise this defo was a beast

My top temps.   My low temps

Tues  -0.6            -4.8

Weds  -3.3         -6.5

Thurs -0.5          -5.9

Fri  -2.1             -3.3

Leading up to Tues we had already had 5 consecutive nights below freezing as well.

Still snowing lightly.

According to latest radar light to moderate snow for the next hour here in Locksbottom and then it will be aurevoir to the snow.Been a great way to finish cold spell it is just nice we couldnt have a hard frost tonight followed by a cold sunny saturday for us all to enjoy and either play or just have a walk in the snow.

Think i will go for a walk shortly and just enjoy it while it is nice and fresh.

Well we have been lucky in ashford been snowing since 12 and have accumulated a few cms

More happily hythe and saltwood has had some

3 minutes ago, nicktabs said:

Are we sure it's over? Could pick up in the channel like earlier?

Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 16.21.19.png

That would arrive as rain or sleet or wet snow.

Just got home- 

-2c

here & another 2/3cm on top of everything-

Hoping for posterity that the last yellow batch crosses this area to go out in style....

1308064B-9921-422E-B2D7-3788A2E9E776.thumb.png.deda30551de4a0e259793482ed1634a6.png

27 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

What a turnaround here, lovely. Gone to the pub to warm up.

0B87103F-C188-4932-9780-562BA5A09EE2.jpeg

4FCA146A-4924-4B4D-9B9C-2F6AC711BBCE.png

Legend 

I feel really sorry for anyone trying to get home to Kent tonight from London who lives further than Dartford. Seems like every train cancelled or going no further than Dartford. 

15 minutes ago, pureasthedriven said:

Two posts directly above in contradiction. Anyone got a latest radar grab or gif? I've no access. Home Horley, currently in Sutton. Cheers. 

532863F6-C25E-41E1-B4F8-B99D32816DB8.jpeg

It's not giving up quite yet in SE London. Considering how very light the radar is making it out to be it's still light to moderate in SE12, with occasional heavy bursts. Maybe an hour or so left to go, unless something else develops.

Still coming down heavy in Ashford... well at least up the hill :) A good 4cm since the change from freezing rain. Very memorable cold spell aka. Beast from the East.

After an hour of tiny flakes we've just had a burst of heavier stuff for 5 minutes. Have barely 1cm covered all the frozen rain. Not much more to come. Bring on spring!

6 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

It is lovely coming back to our reliably snowy corner... and slipping into old radar watching routines... Remembered today that we got snowed in in 2005 on exactly the same day, March 2nd, by that surprise snow event. Again we hit the jackpot and ended with 7 inches and I didn't make it to school in Tonbridge for two days (was in last year at the time).

Problem was that there was next to nothing in Tonbridge (20 mins drive away), so my explanations were met with some raised eyebrows a couple of days later...

Don't know if you saw the photos I posted last night. If not, here are a couple again, taken earlier this week:
snow1.thumb.jpg.a5ef55161537c33eddd6140f6550b52c.jpgsnow3.thumb.jpg.ccfe66c571fe7a8033be542cf3ddf702.jpg

Thanks I'll have a look at them.. Thread moves so fast you forget how long your on here.. Miss loads trying to keep up with the action.. I usually go back through them mid heatwave.. Lol.. Thinking what a crazy set of emotions snow can let loose :-)