Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Just popped in to wish my southeast friends lots of snow, the radar looks very active so you should do well and that includes the coming days!..you deserve this

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

At the Heathrow waiting to get on my flight but not the one I booked originally. The lady at check in said that the plane may need de-icing - it would be amazing to see that happen! No windows where I am - anyone near Heathrow - is there any snow nearby? 

I’ve just heard that they’re thinking of shutting both runways because of freezing rain /ice

FINALLY SOME DECENT SNOW!!!!!!!

VERY FINE BUT HEAVY AND CONSTANT 

LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!!!!!!

Edited by tomp456
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
8 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Snow back to light as the heavier burst moves away into N.Hampshire, was very nice to see.

I suspect there will probably be one more moderate burst on the back end of the front and then that will probably be it for snow here.

Far south looking good for the next hour as the heavier stuff finally comes inland.

Yes, moderate now in north Hampshire. Interesting that you think that after the next burst that will be it. BBC predicting snow in our areas until about 5pm - is there a specific reason that you disagree?

6 minutes ago, rubble79 said:

Starting to turn here finally. Freezing drizzle is horrible stuff. Not a fan. 

Crazy week. Such high expectations but nearly always in the wrong place for the prolonged heavy falls. That said, it’s been wonderfully cold, ice days, icicles, snowed 5 days in a row and a surprise fall on weds night. Depth of snow was disappointing. Only managed 2inches which is surprising as it snowed for 5/6hrs weds and for a majority of yesterday, but that either thawed, blew around or that other term I’ve forgotten (sublimation?)

my hunger for a foot of snow will have to wait till next winter now. I can only dream of experiencing what 40+cms is like. 

What you said above is exactly the same as where I am.. I can't see where you are as on phone but it could of been written for here.. Snow showers huh.. Who would have em...so unequal :)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

I’ve just heard that they’re thinking of shutting both runways because of freezing rain /ice

Hey, where did you hear that? Not that I don’t believe you obviously but just intrigued! I won’t announce it to the room ?

4 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Proper, real, actual snow now. 5/10 best it's been in Deal all week! Cold snap successful!

I am so happy for you, not often Deal gets so much as a flake! Take pictures, when it's gone it's gone. Hope it makes it's way to Sandwich too. 

My wife and I planning to leave, to stay at the Care Home, where she works, soon.  Quite concerned about the ppn, to our south, causing problems, when it reaches Chislehurst, whether it be freezing rain or snow. Worried that if Colette stays home, she will struggle to get to work, for 7, tom. morning. For our location, close to the Lewisham/Bromley border, our Close, gets incredibly icy and cab drivers, refuse to come down here. A cab is coming to pick us up at 2.30 and have agreed to come, right to our door.

We should be able to get back home tom. night, with a slight thaw, expected but are taking enough with us, in case a thaw doesn't materialise. Colette, has shift also has a 12 hour shift, starting at 7, on Sunday morning. Colette, is a Senior/Team Leader, so it's really important, for her to get to work.

Fortunately, I'm allowed to take my Laptop and keep all the staff, informed about road and travel conditions, in general. 

Will, pop in to report from Chislehurst, later.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

With the heavier precip moving up from the south, earlier freezing rain should hopefully turn to snow this afternoon inland, as the thin layer of air >0C aloft starts to mix out and/or heavier snow above the 'warmer' layer doesn't melt as it falls through (heavier precip will take heat away from the air).

Some flakes coming down now in Croydon after a morning of freezing drizzle.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3
Just now, West is Best said:

My views on this are by now well known ;) 

I would argue that freezing rain is the most dangerous of all winter weather. While I understand that it is difficult to forecast, surely once the MetO/BBC realise that it's happening over a pretty widespread area they should immediately issue a red warning

• Like 1