Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

The heavier echoes are moving in a NW direction making landfall now in Lydd area. Following the same track would expect areas inside Canterbury to Rochester to be sweet spot this afternoon with only moderate bursts either side ( that's for Kent ).  

• Like 2
  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Just popped in to wish my southeast friends lots of snow, the radar looks very active so you should do well and that includes the coming days!..you deserve this

Posted Images

Just now, Shunter said:

The heavier echoes are moving in a NW direction making landfall now in Lydd area. Following the same track would expect areas inside Canterbury to Rochester to be sweet spot this afternoon with only moderate bursts either side ( that's for Kent ).  

It’s on! ?

13 minutes ago, nicktabs said:

Radar burst into life as soon as the blob hit land, not sure why? Maybe the height? I'd say it's looking good for all of us this afternoon.

Fingers crossed. I would love to have one  good crunchy snowy walk round my town, take a few pictures. 

Small pellets here, am I right in thinking that's called graupel?

2 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Slightly heavier now,some bigger flakes in the mix,already a covering,probably aided by the freezing rain,fantastic stuff

If you type "Northiam weather" into Google, it actually says "Light freezing rain" !

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, West is Best said:

Really pepping up across the Channel. Could be some 'fun' this afternoon:

5a994212970a8_ScreenShot2018-03-02at12_21_51.thumb.png.f07d13c9682f265d40303f8df2980696.png

5a99421dc2225_ScreenShot2018-03-02at12_22_16.thumb.png.29f340189cf548231898e8c737a0fc87.png

Could you imagine if that lot went up the Thames on the easterly!!!!!!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Looks like the more intense bit has just reached you, how heavy is it? 

Yeah moderate we were green tho and I’m really close to the sea at sea level so this is good! I’ve got the start of a covering and it’s been 10 15 mins since it turned :) 

folkestone 

• Like 2

I don't know what's worse walking or driving. Just popped to the shop, pavements and parts of the road are clear ice, it's kind of like a clear resin has been poured everywhere and allowed to set. It's bloody cold too outside.

As a snow event in ramsgate/thanet it has been pretty poor, nothing like what I had hoped. I'm not complaining though, I've never seen anything like this freezing rain before in my life and I'm glad I have now, plus remarkable temperatures we've had at this time of year, it's been bone chilling.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, James Gold said:

Slightly worried by earlier posts it looks like West Kent, SE London sort of area might miss out on much, in between Surrey and East Kent’s heavier stuff. Can anyone back this up?

Yeh, looks like you are in the "dead strip"

9 minutes ago, cobbett said:

heavier burst of snow now in Farnham

Yep and there is some more decent stuff coming up from the south as well, currently got mod-heavy snow falling here and everything that had been 'desnowed' is now being covered again. Probably about 1cm of fresh snow thus far.

mixture of freezing rain and a few snowflakes atm here in locksbottom.Temp risen in last hour from -1.8 to -1.3.Think as others have said transition to snow about 2pm.the band of snow is fairly narrow and think it will give about 3-4 hours steady snowfall with 2-5cm as a general rule but hillier areas could get a little more.Think Chilterns are in prime spot for this one with upto 10cms possible.

I love the snow but being a self employed gardener i can live with it for a week but like other self employed people,anymore time than that it starts to have negative financial implications so i would like everything to be green come monday morning.I would like to thank everyone on this forum during this cold spell for sending pics and reports of snow depths etc and sharing so many great memories that snow brings-I know it brings the kid out in us but nowt wrong with that:D 

• Like 5