Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Recommended Posts

Ditto at work in Greenhithe right now - everything is covered in a sheet of ice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Happy to admit any attempt at forecasting today has test my knowledge to the maximum.

This is a really unusual event we are looking at here, out of the ordinary.  If there is an E or SE'ly wind off a very cold continent snow can fall up to -1c at 850Hpa and thicknesses can be as high as 537dam as the air is dry and very cold, however wit the Freezing rain because of the mild upper thin layer I really am clueless in this situation.

 

 

The cold front moving up from the south later should mix out the thin layer of air >0C between 800-900mb (shown as per 00z Herstmonceux radiosonde ascent below) so hopefully the heaver snow falling from the clouds less likely to melt before it reaches the ground, takes more heat out the air when precip is heavy, so we should see more snow this afternoon and evening, at least that's the theory!

2018030200.03882.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.b6c2532f7a4750b82b8a48f70747eaac.gif

Edited by Nick F

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s very unlikely we will get ‘disruptive’ snow this afternoon. It baffles me how people can still be so hopeful for any sort of last minute ‘event’.

if this week has taught me anything it’s that almost everyday has been overplayed (with a few exceptions).

i love heavy snow, but I really don’t like the ‘disruptive’ element, and this is exacerbated by incorrect and/or misleading forecasts which cause authorities to have to make last minute changes to timetables and services. I don’t think anyone is ‘to blame’ at all, but hopefully some lessons may have been learned about complicated weather systems like these and can help in the future - where freak weather events similar to this week *could* become more regular.

in summary: i’m over this cold spell now - much rather enjoy the warmth of spring and summer when we can be disappointed by plumes that don’t materialise either 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light snow in Hailsham getting slightly heavier but hoping it’s going to pep up more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

The cold front moving up from the south later should mix out the thin layer of air >0C between 800-900mb (shown as per 00z Herstmonceux radiosonde ascent below) so hopefully the heaver snow falling from the clouds less likely to melt before it reaches the ground, takes more heat out the air when precip is heavy, so we should see more snow this afternoon and evening, at least that the theory!

2018030200.03882.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.b6c2532f7a4750b82b8a48f70747eaac.gif

Thanks Nick,

Is the snow likely to be less than Powdery in this set-up?

I don't know what will be more worse, more freezing rain making the ice thicker on the roads or some fluffy snow sitting on top of ice, snow would give you some grab on the tyres to get home but potential for plenty of wheel spinning because of the ice underneath.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can confirm I have freezing rain in northiam,never seen it before,truly amazing watching it hit the velux,and freeze,if it does snow later,its going to be deadly out there,take care all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

It’s very unlikely we will get ‘disruptive’ snow this afternoon. It baffles me how people can still be so hopeful for any sort of last minute ‘event’.

if this week has taught me anything it’s that almost everyday has been overplayed (with a few exceptions).

i love heavy snow, but I really don’t like the ‘disruptive’ element, and this is exacerbated by incorrect and/or misleading forecasts which cause authorities to have to make last minute changes to timetables and services. I don’t think anyone is ‘to blame’ at all, but hopefully some lessons may have been learned about complicated weather systems like these and can help in the future - where freak weather events similar to this week *could* become more regular

 

I think you’ve explained your own criticisms to be fair. I’m not sure but I think most on here are amateur weather enthusiasts and not professionals. And for the professionals it’s an educated guess with the information at hand. Then Mother Nature decides otherwise....

Edited by winterfreak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

It was raining but it’s snowing as well 

 

Gnerally speaking, the heavier the precipitation, the more likely it will fall as snow. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got sent home from work (the chippy I work at on the seafront in Deal was completely glazed with ice.) 6 foot icicles hanging off the pier and the roads were absolutely lethal. Had to dishwasher salt all round the shop and yard. Eager for some more snow now I'm home, although I'm not sure how much we will see. Stay safe out there!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ajkwilson said:

I have heavy snow forecast from midday till 11pm tonight in Borough green - From metoffice website

According to them I should of been in snow since 8am...take them with a large pinch of salt ( No Pun Intended )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi good peeps 😊 I am in South London at the moment and about an hour ago it was freezing rain that was falling here, over the past half hour that had become just drizzle now no ice mixed in at all 

I am a bit concerned now about the expected so called snow this afternoon it does not look good, unless those temperatures are going to drop. I just hope that stuff coming up from France gives us snow. 

Our guest the beast is leaving now, but will leave some good memories to cherish. Can it just give us that one more moment just for afternoon tea together today. 

Still waiting and hoping the kettle is on.

fingerx crossed

regards 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s it I’ve had enough now this freezing rain is horrible and I need to get to my local shop. Just tried to go out and looked like bambi on ice!!! Oh and I’ve run out of beer😭😭😭

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing here st the minute (Farnham, Surrey) 

temps rising but not quickly 

Temp -1.7

dp -3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very light nondescript particles (snizzle ?) falling steadily in Mid Sussex at the moment with a few obvious small snowflakes here and there. Sky gone quite a bit darker in the last 30 mins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been a remarkable cold spell for England.... unfortunetly some placesgothit worse than others.... in Surrey we had hardly any snow

 

However, this has been noteworthy for some parts especially more in the south west..... and freezing rain.... I haven’t seen any myself but that is a rare event.... and the temperatures

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Memphis snow said:

That’s it I’ve had enough now this freezing rain is horrible and I need to get to my local shop. Just tried to go out and looked like bambi on ice!!! Oh and I’ve run out of beer😭😭😭

Same :D

So it's either the shops later or the pub, both could be tricky. I should also be travelling over to my Parents to get them s few bits but luckily they was warned last week and stocked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Is the snow likely to be less than Powdery in this set-up?

If surface temperatures remain below freezing, then more likely it will be powder snow, just above freezing, then wet snow with higher water content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting heavier in Hailsham. Nice fluffy flakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just started precipitating.....It's either dandruff or drizzling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this cold spell will be remembered in the South East not for its snow amounts, but simply for its quirkiness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...