Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

1 hour ago, paget said:

it looks a bit wet but definitely snow as I went and caught a bit!! 

Lol.. They was so light and fluffy the other day you would have been in Basingstoke by time you caught it :-) 

3 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

With a band also developing over and off the coast of NE France, east sussex, kent etc might get some snow from that band alone.  Maybe all the bands will develop into one.

Everything is East Sussex eastwards lately lol 

4 minutes ago, seb said:

Not sure what you're looking at but the latest (6Z) shows quite the opposite and is currently spot on. Heavier stuff incoming now to cover the SE in the next hour or so and then ongoing until after 6pm.

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.19.31.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.19.42.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.19.54.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.20.01.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.20.10.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.20.17.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.20.25.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.20.34.png

Your charts aren't loading for me at the moment, but I'd imagine you might just be overplaying the intensity shown. Those look like some very light purples. Here's an alternative set of charts:

HIROPME06_6_4.png

HIROPME06_9_4.png

HIROPME06_12_4.png

HIROPME06_15_4.png

HIROPME06_18_4.png

As has been noted, northern and western parts of the region may do better. Not saying it's nothing, and might be a few cms for some, but that's not serious ppn shown on those charts. Maybe it's just the context of the week, and the fact that we have 6 inches on the ground... the possibility of a few cms doesn't seem particularly notable any more...

Building nicely from the SE, over the channel

1 hour ago, snowblizzard said:

Looking at the radar echoes, it still looks to me like any precipitation (which isn't anything significant at the moment) coming up from France is being deflected NW by the strong Easterly flow!

The beast really doesn't want to release it's grip! 

Shows that on here too 

http://www.meteo-info.be/en/weather/weather-for-professionals/film-of-currents/belgium.html

3 minutes ago, cobbett said:

Agree with Seb  above re HIRLAM- looks like an interesting afternoon coming up

Area coming up from France is where the front is located, though whether or not it gives some forcing and we create our own snow/rain like we did yesterday remains to be seen, or will it come ashore today.

The band should strengthen somewhat over the next few hours, but don't expect *too much* from it.

Rain here. It’s still 0 degrees though :cc_confused: Not freezing  rain at all. Well have to say I will be very surprised if we get snow later on now. It looks like winter is over. 

Last two radar grabs:

11:30 11:15

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.36.23.png

Screenshot 2018-03-02 11.36.32.png

If this falls as freezing rain the south central part of Kent which so far only has had very light freezing rain is going to join the chaos shortly.

Edited by seb

Just taken a delivery, speaking to the delivery driver who's been all over the south east this week, he was amazed at how the snow has been so hit and miss, one town could have 10cms then 10 miles down the road, only a dusting. 

Ain't mother nature great 

Not certain what's to come this afternoon but currently drizzle falling in Greatstone which is not good as still below freezing here, judging by the state of our east facing windows this morning it looks like Storm Emma has sucked up some sand somewhere on its journey up from the south.

Certainly take care if you're out and about today. 

Roll on spring :)

1 minute ago, DonnaThw said:

Rain here. It’s still 0 degrees though :cc_confused: Not freezing  rain at all. Well have to say I will be very surprised if we get snow later on now. It looks like winter is over. 

You sure it's not freezing on surfaces? 

Some brighter echos now on the coast, anyone under them let us know what the conditions are 

2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Orpington Kent my car is frozen solid freezing rain..

3E9CEE86-28D5-43D1-8C3B-755C88157452.jpeg

E42CC2AC-3B4B-4B99-813B-9E677C8C4890.jpeg

That's incredible weather for the UK that's on par with stuff they get in the states! 

Edited by Surrey

Freezing rain and snow here. I have to say the freezing rain worries me a lot. Got to get kids from school later will the grit help stop it????

Drizzle here too. The barrage of photos of 50cm snow from family in Ireland isn't helping my jealousy/impatience

12 minutes ago, West Sussex Kate said:

What do you all think then...anymore snow for us ?

As I posted in the short range model thread:

Freezing rain or drizzle could continue to pose a problem through the day for southeastern counties including Essex coastal areas, as less cold air from the south continues creep in aloft of surface easterly flow that is below freezing.

Further snow is expected to organise and push up from the south along a cold front moving up from France this afternoon

00_06z_020318.thumb.png.a0f51c8d7558bc6d19e344043086b7a6.png

the cold front becoming occluded as it continues north across England and Wales overnight, as the cold front overtakes the warm front with cool air to the south and cold air to the north. Snow tending to peter out as it heads north into central areas.

today.thumb.gif.8d6dcc44a001e2d1e25bee564507c809.gif20180302_24.thumb.png.90c886d81b55360b69ed06c4030eaab2.png

Edited by Nick F

Happy to admit any attempt at forecasting today has test my knowledge to the maximum.

This is a really unusual event we are looking at here, out of the ordinary.  If there is an E or SE'ly wind off a very cold continent snow can fall up to -1c at 850Hpa and thicknesses can be as high as 537dam as the air is dry and very cold, however wit the Freezing rain because of the mild upper thin layer I really am clueless in this situation.

2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Some brighter echos now on the coast, anyone under them let us know what the conditions are 

It was raining but it’s snowing as well 

Just now, DonnaThw said:

Freezing rain and snow here. I have to say the freezing rain worries me a lot. Got to get kids from school later will the grit help stop it????

No,if it snows,it will just lay on top of it,going to be absolutely lethal later

2 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

No one will be able to grit all pavements especially with the freezing rain continuing and temps being below freezing.

What I used to do is to put one or two pairs of socks over my shoes. Gives you a decent amount of grip when walking. Take some for your kids... assuming you're walking and not driving.

Edited by seb

6 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Orpington Kent my car is frozen solid freezing rain..

3E9CEE86-28D5-43D1-8C3B-755C88157452.jpeg

E42CC2AC-3B4B-4B99-813B-9E677C8C4890.jpeg

That's exactly how my car looked early just down the road in Sevenoaks