Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Freezing rain and snow here. I have to say the freezing rain worries me a lot. Got to get kids from school later will the grit help stop it????

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
12 minutes ago, West Sussex Kate said:

What do you all think then...anymore snow for us ?

As I posted in the short range model thread:

Freezing rain or drizzle could continue to pose a problem through the day for southeastern counties including Essex coastal areas, as less cold air from the south continues creep in aloft of surface easterly flow that is below freezing.

Further snow is expected to organise and push up from the south along a cold front moving up from France this afternoon

00_06z_020318.thumb.png.a0f51c8d7558bc6d19e344043086b7a6.png

the cold front becoming occluded as it continues north across England and Wales overnight, as the cold front overtakes the warm front with cool air to the south and cold air to the north. Snow tending to peter out as it heads north into central areas.

today.thumb.gif.8d6dcc44a001e2d1e25bee564507c809.gif20180302_24.thumb.png.90c886d81b55360b69ed06c4030eaab2.png

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Happy to admit any attempt at forecasting today has test my knowledge to the maximum.

This is a really unusual event we are looking at here, out of the ordinary.  If there is an E or SE'ly wind off a very cold continent snow can fall up to -1c at 850Hpa and thicknesses can be as high as 537dam as the air is dry and very cold, however wit the Freezing rain because of the mild upper thin layer I really am clueless in this situation.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Some brighter echos now on the coast, anyone under them let us know what the conditions are 

It was raining but it’s snowing as well 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
Just now, DonnaThw said:

Freezing rain and snow here. I have to say the freezing rain worries me a lot. Got to get kids from school later will the grit help stop it????

No,if it snows,it will just lay on top of it,going to be absolutely lethal later

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

No one will be able to grit all pavements especially with the freezing rain continuing and temps being below freezing.

What I used to do is to put one or two pairs of socks over my shoes. Gives you a decent amount of grip when walking. Take some for your kids... assuming you're walking and not driving.

Edited by seb
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spring
6 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Orpington Kent my car is frozen solid freezing rain..

3E9CEE86-28D5-43D1-8C3B-755C88157452.jpeg

E42CC2AC-3B4B-4B99-813B-9E677C8C4890.jpeg

That's exactly how my car looked early just down the road in Sevenoaks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL

Ditto at work in Greenhithe right now - everything is covered in a sheet of ice. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Happy to admit any attempt at forecasting today has test my knowledge to the maximum.

This is a really unusual event we are looking at here, out of the ordinary.  If there is an E or SE'ly wind off a very cold continent snow can fall up to -1c at 850Hpa and thicknesses can be as high as 537dam as the air is dry and very cold, however wit the Freezing rain because of the mild upper thin layer I really am clueless in this situation.

The cold front moving up from the south later should mix out the thin layer of air >0C between 800-900mb (shown as per 00z Herstmonceux radiosonde ascent below) so hopefully the heaver snow falling from the clouds less likely to melt before it reaches the ground, takes more heat out the air when precip is heavy, so we should see more snow this afternoon and evening, at least that's the theory!

2018030200.03882.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.b6c2532f7a4750b82b8a48f70747eaac.gif

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

What a complete joke!! 

Clipboard02.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

It’s very unlikely we will get ‘disruptive’ snow this afternoon. It baffles me how people can still be so hopeful for any sort of last minute ‘event’.

if this week has taught me anything it’s that almost everyday has been overplayed (with a few exceptions).

i love heavy snow, but I really don’t like the ‘disruptive’ element, and this is exacerbated by incorrect and/or misleading forecasts which cause authorities to have to make last minute changes to timetables and services. I don’t think anyone is ‘to blame’ at all, but hopefully some lessons may have been learned about complicated weather systems like these and can help in the future - where freak weather events similar to this week *could* become more regular.

in summary: i’m over this cold spell now - much rather enjoy the warmth of spring and summer when we can be disappointed by plumes that don’t materialise either ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow and ice days

Light snow in Hailsham getting slightly heavier but hoping it’s going to pep up more.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

The cold front moving up from the south later should mix out the thin layer of air >0C between 800-900mb (shown as per 00z Herstmonceux radiosonde ascent below) so hopefully the heaver snow falling from the clouds less likely to melt before it reaches the ground, takes more heat out the air when precip is heavy, so we should see more snow this afternoon and evening, at least that the theory!

2018030200.03882.skewt_parc.thumb.gif.b6c2532f7a4750b82b8a48f70747eaac.gif

Thanks Nick,

Is the snow likely to be less than Powdery in this set-up?

I don't know what will be more worse, more freezing rain making the ice thicker on the roads or some fluffy snow sitting on top of ice, snow would give you some grab on the tyres to get home but potential for plenty of wheel spinning because of the ice underneath.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I can confirm I have freezing rain in northiam,never seen it before,truly amazing watching it hit the velux,and freeze,if it does snow later,its going to be deadly out there,take care all

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wintry and stormy weather
7 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

It’s very unlikely we will get ‘disruptive’ snow this afternoon. It baffles me how people can still be so hopeful for any sort of last minute ‘event’.

if this week has taught me anything it’s that almost everyday has been overplayed (with a few exceptions).

i love heavy snow, but I really don’t like the ‘disruptive’ element, and this is exacerbated by incorrect and/or misleading forecasts which cause authorities to have to make last minute changes to timetables and services. I don’t think anyone is ‘to blame’ at all, but hopefully some lessons may have been learned about complicated weather systems like these and can help in the future - where freak weather events similar to this week *could* become more regular

I think you’ve explained your own criticisms to be fair. I’m not sure but I think most on here are amateur weather enthusiasts and not professionals. And for the professionals it’s an educated guess with the information at hand. Then Mother Nature decides otherwise....

Edited by winterfreak
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
10 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

It was raining but it’s snowing as well 

Gnerally speaking, the heavier the precipitation, the more likely it will fall as snow. 

Posted

Well I got sent home from work (the chippy I work at on the seafront in Deal was completely glazed with ice.) 6 foot icicles hanging off the pier and the roads were absolutely lethal. Had to dishwasher salt all round the shop and yard. Eager for some more snow now I'm home, although I'm not sure how much we will see. Stay safe out there!!!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, ajkwilson said:

I have heavy snow forecast from midday till 11pm tonight in Borough green - From metoffice website

According to them I should of been in snow since 8am...take them with a large pinch of salt ( No Pun Intended )

• Like 1

Hi good peeps ? I am in South London at the moment and about an hour ago it was freezing rain that was falling here, over the past half hour that had become just drizzle now no ice mixed in at all 

I am a bit concerned now about the expected so called snow this afternoon it does not look good, unless those temperatures are going to drop. I just hope that stuff coming up from France gives us snow. 

Our guest the beast is leaving now, but will leave some good memories to cherish. Can it just give us that one more moment just for afternoon tea together today. 

Still waiting and hoping the kettle is on.

fingerx crossed

regards ?

• Like 2