Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

7 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Grey and boring? Sounds like Horley!

Just getting on Redhill train to Croydon . I don’t think it’s boring at all in fact it’s invredible that we are about to have third ice day in a row here on March ! That’s amazing. Also prospect of snow here 

• Like 1
  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Just popped in to wish my southeast friends lots of snow, the radar looks very active so you should do well and that includes the coming days!..you deserve this

Posted Images

Wife and I are debating whether to ask her work (Residential Care Home, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border ), if they have a bed/room available, for tonight, poss. tomorrow, too.  I would have to stay with my wife because of my condition, after my CVA.

My wife, had to stay a couple of nights, during the cold, snowy spell of 2010.

What do the more knowledgeable members think, will we get more snow today? Perhaps, more importantly, will we get much melting of snow, today/tomorrow ??  Plus cab drivers sometimes refuse to drive up our Close, in wintry spells, it becomes, like an ice rink!!

Of course, if I go to the Home and stay with my wife, I run the risk of her leaving, this old f..t, there for good.:D Never mind, I'll let Bromley Social Services, foot the bill. 

Would welcome members views about more snow and prospects of it melting, today/tomorrow?

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Lethal outside. Pavements slippery, roads slippery! Had to pull over and defrost again 2 minutes into journey as car wasn’t warm enough to stop what was hitting car from freezing again! 

• Like 2
31 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Can confirm just rain in Deal. Not the freezing kind either, just wet.

:wallbash:

Yup, fine rain in Sandwich and the little snow I have is shrinking. 

One day,that's all I wanted. One. Snowy. Day. Oh well, there is always next  year.

• Like 1

Looks like a little loss of some snow overnight here in Epsom?! Looks like it's melted a little or maybe it got blown away/dried by the wind?! Most schools closed due to "being under am Amber warning" despite the fact we now no longer seem to be, lol! Meto website shows light snow here and there today and the Meto App says light snow all day here!!!:rofl:

I'm not expecting much more to be honest but we'll see! Looking forward to Spring now!x

11 minutes ago, seb said:

How completely bizarre. Kennington weather station on MetO WOW website shows -2.1 which is the same as here.

Now got very light freezing drizzle and windscreen has frozen

1 minute ago, Great Plum said:

One of the teachers at my boys’ school in Reigate copied this onto a Facebook page...

’I saw this on a surrey information page. 

This is why the schools are closing.
Surrey County Council:

We have just had a conference call with the MET office, Emergency Management Team and various Surrey agencies, and have received the following information:
The snow has been worse than expected and they are therefore extending the Amber alert for Wind and Snow to cover all of Surrey. This will be in place until 08.00 tomorrow morning.
We can expect between 5 to 10 cm of snow tonight, heavy until midnight and then lighter, but another flurry mid-morning.
There is a small risk of freezing rain.’

- that was from last night - most schools in Surrey are closed because of an inaccurate warning... @West is Best - relevant for your thread perhaps...

Damned if they do damned if they don't, a very tricky event tbh

• Like 3
20 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Fear not, it's doing exactly what is currently suggested and I mentioned this morning slowly "filling in"

Taking the radar from 6:50 to now... Remember this is not till the afternoon we think the more persistent snow is expected 

650.thumb.jpg.4673b477211ea5367ea7756f1456b5ff.jpg800.thumb.jpg.be5cffe9c411257123f9172de430673e.jpg

I was about to post those same 2 images!  

2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Marginal rain sleet stuff here not freezing I think

Freezing rain you'll notice because it sticks as ice straight on impact and totally clear, Weird stuff!

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 3
29 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Well no work for me today been called off so the youngers are off also and so is the Mrs so a trip to Windsor great park sledging is in order today some fantastic slops up there!

Will be going prepared though with more snow in the forecast!

Hope there’s enough snow for sledging? That wind has blown much of the snow away, might be some drifts there, though. 

Wow this is going to be chaotic once the heavier stuff hits. 2mm ice layer already.

Trying to upload pictures but it won't let me - error -200?!

Edited by seb
Just now, Kent Blizzard said:

The freezing rain has made my windows look like I've had them all frosted like bathroom ones, or too much lager!!....strange!

Mine too, my son's school has closed for the first time this week lol.

8 minutes ago, soopdragoon said:

Yup, fine rain in Sandwich and the little snow I have is shrinking. 

One day,that's all I wanted. One. Snowy. Day. Oh well, there is always next  year.

I think it is starting to have a freezing element. It's not running down the windows and surfaces seems glazed now..

Damn Nature, you scary!

1 minute ago, jodaw84 said:

Mine too, my son's school has closed for the first time this week lol.

Ours has opened for the first time this week...pathetic! It's dangerous out there!

FREEZING RAIN falling in Medway Valley :(

Edited by Brocken Spectre

I’m not very optimistic about any significant snow in our region today.

Most models show heavier snow developing to our north, with things remaining patchy here, so unless the wind drops, it’ll just keep blowing around.

There are then indications of slightly milder air moving north, which ties in with the latest Met Office thoughts of a thaw setting in by dawn tomorrow.

This cold snap was crap for me to start, but we ended up with a surprise snowfall, so I’m happy about that.

On to Spring now ?

Edited by CK1981
4 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

The freezing rain has made my windows look like I've had them all frosted like bathroom ones, or too much lager!!....strange!

That's the strange thing ground is sheet ice but window has rain drops. Can't make it out.

I’m surprised there’s not a warning out by the met office for this freezing rain. There’s a couple of mm’s of ice forming now and it’s still fraining (that’s my word for freezing raining lol) 

EDIT it’s just changed over to graupel here in north Kent 

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1