Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Just popped in to wish my southeast friends lots of snow, the radar looks very active so you should do well and that includes the coming days!..you deserve this

Posted Images

Please stay safe everyone! Freezing rain is absolutely lethal. Hoping to get a bit more snow today (not holding my breath though), a last hoorah would be great before I start chasing the magic 20c?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, gazb21 said:

Very light snow just started in tonbridge 

Yea.. Was drizzle half hour ago but definitely snow now.. But so light it's nearly not :)

Well no work for me today been called off so the youngers are off also and so is the Mrs so a trip to Windsor great park sledging is in order today some fantastic slops up there!

Will be going prepared though with more snow in the forecast!

• Like 6
4 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Ordinary wet rain here.  clear this muck away and bring on the spring.

It's freezing on impact here. Temp is -2! Are you sure it's just wet?!

1 minute ago, trumpage said:

Hope Gatwick is not goint to have freezing rain.  Am picking up a friend who is arriving just after 2pm.  Can’t see them remaining open with freezing rain.

Certainly a risk this morning of freezing rain before upper temps drop away again and it becomes conducive for snow again.

No increase in snow level overnight in Reigate, all looking a bit sorry for itself now.  I saw fizzly light snow for an hour or 2 before midnight but barely worth mentioning.  Not as cold this morning but still currently below freezing at -1.7c with the dewpoint at -4c.  Grey and to be honest rather boring.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, seb said:

It's freezing on impact here. Temp is -2! Are you sure it's just wet?!

Yup!  Even on car windscreen.  Maybe we're that bit lower in Kingsnorth than on Singleton Hill but we're just the other side of the environment centre - which is weird

1 minute ago, James Gold said:

School off in Bromley today - not seeing any precipitation yet 

Fear not, it's doing exactly what is currently suggested and I mentioned this morning slowly "filling in"

Taking the radar from 6:50 to now... Remember this is not till the afternoon we think the more persistent snow is expected 

650.thumb.jpg.4673b477211ea5367ea7756f1456b5ff.jpg800.thumb.jpg.be5cffe9c411257123f9172de430673e.jpg

• Like 4

There was a bit of light rain on my way back from work this morning and I can definitely feel that it's warmed up a touch.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, seb said:

Yep. Raindrops freezing the moment the hit a solid surface. Living in Germany in the mid-nineties I've experienced this several times. Most dangerous kind of winter weather. On one occasion it hadn't been forecast and the minute it started the local American Forces Network radio and tv stations interrupted all their programmes to issue road condition black (no-travel for military personnel on or off base; schools, stores, offices that are open on immediate lock down). We ended up with a 3cm ice layer that took 36 hours to melt despite temps rising up quickly above freezing.

Wow! I can see it frozen to the windows outside, really odd! I can see why it's so dangerous! 

8 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Yup!  Even on car windscreen.  Maybe we're that bit lower in Kingsnorth than on Singleton Hill but we're just the other side of the environment centre - which is weird

How completely bizarre. Kennington weather station on MetO WOW website shows -2.1 which is the same as here.

Reckon we could well out of this today if the precip is heavy enough. Will also be very slow moving. Hopeing for a bit of energy as it crosses the Thames too.

18 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Nothing at all overnight in Mid Sussex, and nothing happening now...such a disappointment, have missed out to the East and West in this spell.

I know how you feel

11 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

No increase in snow level overnight in Reigate, all looking a bit sorry for itself now.  I saw fizzly light snow for an hour or 2 before midnight but barely worth mentioning.  Not as cold this morning but still currently below freezing at -1.7c with the dewpoint at -4c.  Grey and to be honest rather boring.

Grey and boring? Sounds like Horley!

One of the teachers at my boys’ school in Reigate copied this onto a Facebook page...

’I saw this on a surrey information page. 

This is why the schools are closing.
Surrey County Council:

We have just had a conference call with the MET office, Emergency Management Team and various Surrey agencies, and have received the following information:
The snow has been worse than expected and they are therefore extending the Amber alert for Wind and Snow to cover all of Surrey. This will be in place until 08.00 tomorrow morning.
We can expect between 5 to 10 cm of snow tonight, heavy until midnight and then lighter, but another flurry mid-morning.
There is a small risk of freezing rain.’

- that was from last night - most schools in Surrey are closed because of an inaccurate warning... @West is Best - relevant for your thread perhaps...