Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Thanks D.C., not a surprise to see that update given the feeble snow so far tonight!

51 minutes ago, snowray said:

Do you not have an existing snow cover where you are snowbob?  Usually Biggin Hill does very well for snow.

Yes mate

meant the paths and roads that had been cleared

3 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Met Office Amber updated again, we’re now out.....

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Widespread snow is expected to develop through Thursday afternoon and evening, accompanied by strong easterly winds, leading to drifting of lying snow in places. Around 10-20 cm is likely to fall quite widely, with the potential for up to 50 cm over parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a chance of snow turning to freezing rain in places, with widespread icy stretched forming making driving conditions dangerous. The warning has been updated to reflect the growing confidence of a severe spell of weather and to remove parts of North Wales and Southeast England.

Ohhhh 😟 I feel sad about that. 

Tomorrow looks decent though!!

Hitting the sack now- last snow day tomorrow

lets hope it goes out with a bang

2/3 CM this eve

26940EB4-751F-43B4-9790-AF82D3AB027D.thumb.jpeg.de546a434f0c687fde50202e50f2de9f.jpeg

Temp hovering just below freezing.

24 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Steve's garden seems to have its own microclimate while the rest of us have nothing falling from the sky

I've had very fine snow falling tonight.

23 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Seen reports of freezing rain in Bournemouth, which is causing glazing on all surface, which will make it lethal, seems that temps further east are holding low enough aloft even near the coast for mostly snow.

However, heavier snow seems to be struggling to get too far inland atm, perhaps because the surface is so dry further east, thanks to proximity of dry feed with low DPs off near continent, that heavier snow with higher water content is perhaps evaporating and not reaching the ground, but small flakes are. Certainly may explain heavier stuff struggling to get inland for now.

Liam Dutton explains the heavier snow struggling to get inland more eloquently 

5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Watching Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze on BBC4 black and white footage of the notorious 62/63 winter, amazing how much disruption and suffering it caused, even back then, so many places cut off by drifting snow and running short of food, SW was worse hit back then, but then there were blizzards following blizzards, not just one

heres-what-you-could-have-won.thumb.jpg.2a5c80f77ae1b9342e618000bb82bbb7.jpg

7 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Met Office Amber updated again, we’re now out.....

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Widespread snow is expected to develop through Thursday afternoon and evening, accompanied by strong easterly winds, leading to drifting of lying snow in places. Around 10-20 cm is likely to fall quite widely, with the potential for up to 50 cm over parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a chance of snow turning to freezing rain in places, with widespread icy stretched forming making driving conditions dangerous. The warning has been updated to reflect the growing confidence of a severe spell of weather and to remove parts of North Wales and Southeast England.

Erm ... revisionism galore there. In case they haven't noticed it's 22.25 so hardly 'Thursday afternoon'.

Seriously, they are useless.

1 minute ago, Nick F said:

lol @ Daniel being corrected by a pro

2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

lol @ Daniel being corrected by a pro

Have been, many times.:girl_devil:

17 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Can u take a pic of it so I can see it please 

I can only manage a picture of a window at the moment. I cannot get out of the back door due to a large drift, and it being frozen solid. And the front of the house is like an ice rink. If it's still covered by morning, I can get some better pictures.

20180301_222116_HDR.jpg

All of the East facing windows look like they have frosted glass in them.

I cant see any changes yo tge Amber on the MetO website? 🤔

Hey all hope you all did well with your snow ! Am off to search for spring now ( got bored with the snow )  ... see you next winter x

Quite frankly,this is pants,there's no way im going to get anything out of this lot tonight,amber warning,really,yes its been snowing,4 days in a row,which is remarkable,and I still have a bit laying,which has lasted 3 days,but it was maybe 2cms at best,heavy showers all around,and places up the road with 6 inches plus,its been great,but very frustrating,all I wanted was 1 decent snow event,and being 10 or so miles inland and 70m asl,living in a village which always does well in snow,I was hoping I had the ticket,good luck to all that have it,and enjoy it

1 minute ago, Nikkib74 said:

I cant see any changes yo tge Amber on the MetO website? 🤔

Yep, no changes I can see ...

1 minute ago, Storme said:

Ohhhh 😟 I feel sad about that. 

So they’re just radar gazing like the rest of us. Like the Hokey Cokey, the MetO. How many people on here questioned the wisdom of that amber extension earlier? As they did on here when the Amber warning was pushed WSW earlier in the week? Poor. 

Freezing rain in Hove as well, makes a really strange noise as it hits the windows blown by the wind , it's falling onto a thin layer on snow courtesy of an insanely heavy 10 minute snow shower here which left everything redusted, there was already a patchwork of snow, ice and partially melted ice as the freezing rain hit here so I fully epect to wake up to the sound of tooting horns and cars crashing into one another here. 

Thank god I have the day off work tomorrow !!

Edited by EML Network

11 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

I'd be amazed Daniel. Who's briefed that?  My in-laws have lived there for decades, I've been going there for slightly fewer decades but still lots of decades and I've never seen more than about 2cm on the coast (even that is staggeringly rare) maybe 5cm a mile or so inland in exceptional circumstances, more of course up on the South Downs.  So much unrealistic expectation on here, we are 110m above sea level here in Reigate town and there's about 2 cm max, of lying snow a tiny dusty top up tonight, despite low temperatures well below freezing.   In daylight I can see up to the top of the north downs at 230m and there isn't that much snow.  Clearly some parts have had lots but its unlikely in the extreme that Brighton will get as much snow as you suggest 

The council tweeted it I just saw it retweeted. March 2013 was amazing in Brighton I remember the photos.. Central London has more than you! I have had very healthy cover for three days now, no melt really absolutely none today it’s surreal for here. I am one in the worst places for snow, and this cold spell has been truly exceptional. I won’t forget it ever. The number of hours of falling snow I’ve seen must be over 24 hours, some of the most heaviest snowfall I’ve seen ever seen courtesy from a shower which went over heart of London, that was the craziest thing I ever experienced. Visibility you couldn’t see across the road - completely torrential and going horizontal in 10 minutes it dumped 2” then I had a dumping from a ‘Thames Streamer’. The depth I have is shy of 10cm however it would be more, but a fair amount has evaporated. Everything’s frozen solid it’s been that way 24/7 to think I struggle to get an air frost and lately it’s been -3.5C at midday. I have a mini drift in my garden, I will miss this weather dearly it’s been a five year long wait. It knocks 2013 out water, coldest spell of weather probably seen since 1991, not even 2010 compares.

I agree its been a pants week for snow, its been bitterly cold but just hardly any snow here.... not comparable to 2010 at all

So disappointing, maybe one last feeble attempt tomorrow

15 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Again, surely the MetO knew this earlier this eve? Hardly a revelation, the continental flow is it? 

Dammit, I’d promised to stop posting. Bloody weather! 😂

Edited by pureasthedriven

1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

I agree its been a pants week for snow, its been bitterly cold but just hardly any snow here.... not comparable to 2010 at all

There’s significant variation from place to place some areas have done seriously well. Fellow Londoners I’m sure @Sno' problem will say it’s been exceptional cold spell. :) 

3 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Maybe for you but I had 8 inches.

Of snow that is.

1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

There’s significant variation from place to place some areas have done seriously well. Fellow Londoners I’m sure @Sno' problem will say it’s been exceptional cold spell. :) 

oh its been cold yes, but snow wise awful, had probably 5cms total, most of which has melted in the sun. 2010 was cold and also had about 30-40 CM's of snow, was amazing