Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Just now, Bazza118 said:

Just been out for a bracing walk and have to say the wind when it gusts, cuts right through you.

for those interested in how the country's power supply is doing i've attached the usual link below. it's been in amber the last few days but touched red a couple of times. if the gas supply goes then as you will see there isn't much spare capacity to call on.

http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Yes noticed yesterday they were burning the coal and saving the gas, due to shortage of supply. Thank god for wind (in the weather sense).

1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

No, i just look at radar and try to work things out after years of DIY forecasting and observation. I also have a look at meto office forecasts, and one to two others, and posts on here - and synoptic charts.

Sorry, sorry, sorry! This misquoting was even worse than I thought! I meant to quite a post from @WheresTheSnow stating that MetO and BBC apps are not showing any snow.

Sorry again!!!

50 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Ha... Exactly the same here. Gymnastics required to access loft as well as pipe.

Mine has gone again, my Dad is coming down with a bigger ladder as the block is clearly further up what a pain!

Just now, seb said:

Sorry, sorry, sorry! This misquoting was even worse than I thought! I meant to quite a post from @WheresTheSnow stating that MetO and BBC apps are not showing any snow.

Sorry again!!!

No problem. It's all part of the pot. Or should i rephrase that ;)

• Like 1

Well. I don’t know about snow, I’m just going to look out of my window the next couple of days, as I can’t tell whether we are coming or going. The Met Office are adding and removing warnings like they are doing the Hokey Cokey. 

Was going to take the sledge up the Downs later but it appears there’s not much up there. It is blowing up a right Hooley now, which is ever so bitter when it catches you.

A little bit of snow in worthing 

Mmmm netweather radar shows a sudden band of light snow at about brighton and to the west of it for a long way. Seems to be bang on - light snow/some flakes here now [10 miles south of Horsham].

Just now, WeatherMoose said:

A little bit of snow in worthing 

A sudden band of light snow has appeared where you and I and some others are.

Looks to me like a fair bit bit of PPN to the east of the low just becoming visible on the radar over France.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

A sudden band of light snow has appeared where you and I and some others are.

And the tongue of snow to the north of Horsham is now producing some light stuff in Dorking.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

The next person to use an App forecast and go into one in here will be banned ! 

How many times can you say the same thing, apps are useless , automated forecasts are crap.

The weather doesn’t behave according to an app.

Will people please stop checking apps every 10 minutes and just wait and see what happens .

Moan over ! 

NS newly assigned App moderator ! 

The apps have actually been quite accurate at short range i.e. 1 to 12 hours but beyond that, useless.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ajkwilson said:

Will that off the east come in the below direction ????

w.png

been studying that and I think that's going to be the snow from a line through lind9n down to brighton

• Like 1

Just now, Lampostwatcher said:

been studying that and I think that's going to be the snow from a line through lind9n down to brighton

50 miles east and ill be happy ! :)

5 minutes ago, Thinon said:

The apps have actually been quite accurate at short range i.e. 1 to 12 hours but beyond that, useless.

You’re banned! :D

The same thing happened a few days back, a lot of misery peddling by some in the threads because the damn App said no.

And then more moaning about the weather warnings when as we’ve seen the weather doesn’t behave according to a weather warning.

Anyway that’s my last word on Appgate! :D

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 minutes ago, colonelks said:

Mine has gone again, my Dad is coming down with a bigger ladder as the block is clearly further up what a pain!

Yes ours involved me perching on an upper floor windowsill, holding the frame with one hand and reaching with the other to pour hot water on the top section of the pipe... NOTE: I am NOT recommending this course of action...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

There looks like enhanced precipitation forming ahead of the main band and heading towards the Home Counties!

Pretty much exactly like the high resolution models suggested, this will help to focus the precip in the next 2-3hrs or so. Then we need to hope that the stronger precipitation continues to slowly spread eastwards.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You’re banned! :D

The same thing happened a few days back, a lot of misery peddling by some in the threads because the damn App said no.

And then more moaning about the weather warnings when as we’ve seen the weather doesn’t behave according to a weather warning.

Anyway that’s my last word on Appgate! :D

I blame Nixon. First, Watergate. Then Appgate.

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, ajkwilson said:

Will that off the east come in the below direction ????

w.png

no. unlikely 

its moving North but recurving NW

Any PPN the SE sees isnt on the radar yet - it will need to develop-

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So jealous of the SW. They are literally about to get my dream snow :( 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1