Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Definitely starting to extend east now 

• Like 3

my friend lves in Devon and has been told to stay inside from 3pm. looks crazy down there!

2 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

will i think the rara is showing precip out east of the thames estuary, possibly the start  of a streamer.  The main blob has just edged into Exeter , right onto the Met office !

Not a streamer, those are showers moving North. There are showers forming in the channel and stretching ever more towards the East however... Looks like the main band has some energy spare to chuck East... Brighton should get some snizzle soon. Still very light at this point, but a good sign. Have to drive to East Sussex so might drive down a bit early just in case.

Since 2010 I’ve been chasing the snow like many here, where I live in Bearsted we’ve had a good 8 to 10 inches. 

This morning while driving to the office me and snow had one hell of a falling out, but I’m home now and are friends again lol

from 7 this morning until a farmer pulled me out 4 hours. 

When I was driving along the road there was a small layer of snow, car stared spinning the wind and then snow falling created drifts over 1m all within an hour between 7 and 8

1C038B20-2370-4826-A6F7-0A690AA2F068.jpeg

F7271A29-467B-4FE8-A1BC-10277FA62D3C.jpeg

C6DCB24C-BB85-42AB-B4D3-3B877AC64F6F.jpeg

CFBE7742-127C-4840-8FD0-510C5147A689.jpeg

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

There is a warning of ... mains gas supplies not being sufficient nationwide in the next 2-3 days.  Get yer stocks of wood/coal/blow heaters in. We're in the sticks so are on oil, and i bought a load of wood and smokeless fuel last weekend. No mains gas here. If all electricity power goes we have a fireplace and a multifuel stove ... and an oven hob that runs directly off gas from gas cylinders outside.  The broadband routers won't work, though, and even the 3G signal here is total crap. Maybe smoke signals will...  

All sounds identical to where I'll be for the next few days. Good to be off grid sometimes isn't it??

Looks like the set-up is developing pretty much as expected thus far, the first warm front locally gave more than expected, but it was localised aqnd some places didn't get much at all.

Very light grains at the moment here, not expecting too much till later here, and still very borderline!

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Looks like the set-up is developing pretty much as expected thus far, the first warm front locally gave more than expected, but it was localised aqnd some places didn't get much at all.

Very light grains at the moment here, not expecting too much till later here, and still very borderline!

Do you think we'll get much from tomorrow's front?

1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Amazing pictures, there!! Wasn't it on the Hoo Peninsular, where a train got stuck in a huge snowdrift, in Jan 1987?I remember, the photos!! If memory serves, didn't British Rail buy a specially adapted locomotive, with snowplough, from Norway, only to get it back to the UK, to find it was the wrong gauge? :oops:

For Kentish folk, now in a snow mood. See link below and reminisce, about Jan 187. Enjoy!!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/remembering-the-1987-whiteout-118663/

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

I'm old enough to remember that. I was commuting to London from Gravesend. A nightmare! I would say this cold spell has lower daytime temperatures. I'm sitting in my car in Maidstone area and it is -3.5c. Amazing! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, A Wintry Mix said:

Predicted for tomorrow 6pm

Thanet -2.5c

Screenshot_20180301-122225.png

BANK !!

Another 3-4 cm will do me. Top up my back garden nicely & see me through the weekend. 

Spring can strt nxt week .

Uk temps at 12pm

on a par with 1987 - with -7c being recorded, -5 widespread.

-3c here.

B3053D47-0B90-40F7-8CD9-F419A5A4577E.thumb.png.b9c0c9e84f6df1b78f4e0aba7df2ea41.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Uk temps at 12pm

on a par with 1987 - with -7c being recorded, -5 widespread.

-3c here.

B3053D47-0B90-40F7-8CD9-F419A5A4577E.thumb.png.b9c0c9e84f6df1b78f4e0aba7df2ea41.png

-5 inthanet at 11am

This is exactly what I’m taking about - see how the graphic below suggests that the SW will only get ‘small amounts of snow’ - hello?! Red warning area?!!!

D5023A9C-A0B2-4F36-AF4A-680464D836B8.thumb.png.b3682213d7b64c2de6b0648b54d494fe.png

there are too many different forecasts out there - it really is chaotic!

Looking at the radars

this one seems to show another large area growing to the east of the main band

maybe that could keep growing and looks to be heading straight for the area that @Steve Murr Showed earlier.

6387F140-0CDF-4D02-9A53-137CD2B0763E.jpeg

Edited by snowbob

33 minutes ago, seb said:

Latest MetO video forecast is a carbon copy of HIRLAM. Snow showers for us from late afternoon, heavy snow second part of the night/tomorrow morning.

Isn't this already wrong though.

Should still be snowing here according to it, the reality is no snow (apart from a 2 minute dusting this morning) 

The ICON shows the snow that's moved away then nothing until tomorrow with rain/snow in the south-east. 

Precipitation building in central France west of Tours.

This could be the area to watch for us as it’s track is more favourable for this region.

• Like 2

The idea this was going to fall on its face today and tomorrow has firmly disappeared!

yellow warning back for all of Kent. Another layer overnight and now it me drifting!

• Like 1

Euro 4 now more like other high res models. Looking good for 10cm+ tomorrow  late afternoon & overnight 

929EB352-77C5-4B2B-A734-F18FBFC9AB1D.gif

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Looking at the radars

this one seems to show another large area growing to the east of the main band

maybe that could keep growing

6387F140-0CDF-4D02-9A53-137CD2B0763E.jpeg

Pretty much in line with the HIRLAM forecast actually. They show it going more directly North as it hits the UK and only brushing the SE'ern corner or fading as it gets there.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Yep we won’t see main thrust but could be interesting.. especially for those further west like yourself that have seen little.

EE3BC34D-2515-432E-8F08-0FF1B874C4EC.thumb.png.46f293b0aff0d23fb385c31d0c81a02d.pngB56147B2-D535-4E49-B87E-F02FEC8A6124.thumb.png.c3abf66f29b65bb82488d00656efb474.png

• Like 1

See Rao has thrown his hat into the ring with some usual, conservative forecasting.

I apologise in advance for dirtying this thread with a Daily Express link....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/925413/UK-snow-weather-snow-storm-Emma-forecast-Thursday-Friday-latest

Edited by echodelta21
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Looks in line with what the HIRLAM has put out.

What’s happened to tomorrow? Both BBC and MetO Forecast have completely downgraded tomorrow’s snow in Watford. The GFS 06Z still shows precipitation around...

The MetO shows no snow at all now!

14 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

All sounds identical to where I'll be for the next few days. Good to be off grid sometimes isn't it??

Absolutely. And there's free dead wood in the woods if required. BUT we have been cut off by both snow and floods in the past eight years, and gritters don't touch country lanes.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

HIRLAM had performed really well lately let's hope it's got this one right 

• Like 4