Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

Roads are an absolute nightmare!

Just went to fill the car up/make sure I could get the car out because I'm driving to Birmingham tomorrow, the car was sliding all over the place, great fun! First time I've ever driven in the snow.

Pump the breaks

low gear

low revs

• Like 1

So from what I can gather as a complete newbie looking at charts and sat images etc and reading on different sites, there is a possibility that this weather front could move more north westerly towards London ?? Or am I reading it all wrong ??

15 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

2A0ADB34-540C-4C46-9B69-AB065A58A0D8.thumb.png.fe1cc6f0f019d8d80fb28b81459aef86.png

Really I am glad I panic bought all that bread and milk for the one hour of chance light snow we *might* now get at midnight.

😞 hopes dashed now

You think that's bad. I've got 70kg of hardly used coal plus enough logs that if I stuck them back together I'd have a small forest. Without the leaves, obviously.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

Pump the breaks

low gear

low revs

Yep! I was taking it slow, no more than 10mph at any one time, I was being as safe as I possibly could, it was weird to feel the car just sliding sideways as I went round corners, fun but weird

1 minute ago, Daniel Smith said:

Just went to fill the car up/make sure I could get the car out because I'm driving to Birmingham tomorrow, the car was sliding all over the place, great fun! First time I've ever driven in the snow.

My car is a nightmare in the snow. Having a turbo with 225bhp, it just spins up, even when you pull off in higher gears. Luckily, I don’t need to go out in it today.

• Like 1

If you look at the radar for France does look like showers developing east of that main front that is heading for the SW. Might be completely wrong but would that be in line for the SE? 

01.03.2018 10:30:00 GMT

So my journey to Yorkshire is going as expected. first train cancelled due to frozen brakes. All good fun though! 

I might be mistake but the system looks like it is moving north west straight for London ir will this get pushed the other directly once it hits the easterly winds?

can someone shed light on this? 

Sorry but are we not looking at a snow event now for Friday in S.E

Bbc app still saying yes..

Screenshot_2018-03-01-11-38-36.png

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rufushound said:

Agreed, warnings were convincing enough for the south that the missus has cut her working week short up in London. 

I understand they have to have the warnings though. 

And London has had a massive dumping yesterday while the east of the region has had significant and disruptive snow since Monday. There are currently still train cancellations and dangerous driving conditions on all untreated roads. Absolutely nothing wrong at all with the warnings that have been issued. And this is coming from me where I had a huge discussion with the MetO a few weeks ago when they dropped the ball on the "un-named storm" that caused damage in Kent but wasn't warned.

• Like 1

Have the net office just updated the warning for tomorrow? I’m getting confused with how they all overlap! A bit more positive if they have 

BBC just changed afternoon to all cloud instead of heavy snow now for Worthing disappointing but oh well 

Edited by JK1
  • Sad 1

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

After 20 years of driving on snow, I made a decision not to anymore! Good luck and go careful.

Thought I would advise anyone whose boilers have suddenly stopped it could be your outside pipe from the boiler has frozen up stopping the water from draining away. Pour hot water over it and it should free it up. Hopefully.

Still snow grains coming down here in Sidcup. Still -2.5c here.

4 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Have the net office just updated the warning for tomorrow? I’m getting confused with how they all overlap! A bit more positive if they have 

"chance a few cms" "still uncertain" not  so much an upgrade as a Errrrm well we are as uncertain as everyone else

Had this arrive on my Accuweather about 30 mins ago.

Screenshot_20180301-114452.png

Just watched metoffice weather video on you tube , they are saying more snow possible overnight but tomorrow morning was showing snow for us .Im confused lol 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, colboy said:

Thought I would advise anyone whose boilers have suddenly stopped it could be your outside pipe from the boiler has frozen up stopping the water from draining away. Pour hot water over it and it should free it up. Hopefully.

Still snow grains coming down here in Sidcup. Still -2.5c here.

We had that exact same problem this morning. Frozen pipes, boiler not working!