Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

This is 11z HIRLAM, looks pretty close in terms of position of front:

hirlam-1-4-0.png?01-10

For those in the east of the area, watch the showers to the SE of the main frontal zone, and hope it expands!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I think as it spreads north it will gain some traction and intensifie 

Seems to be some spread north east from Brest through the Channel Islands. This is the area I’m watching for eastward development.

@Memphis snow any update on our snow depth? Imagine it's difficult to get an accurate measurement given the drifting. 

Just now, kold weather said:

hirlam-1-4-0.png?01-10

For those in the east of the area, watch the showers to the SE of the main frontal zone, and hope it expands!

I was just going to post the same. HIRLAM is the best fit for the current position of precipitation over the Brest Peninsular.

ARPEGE has everything too far south west when you compare with current radar returns!

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

hirlam-1-4-0.png?01-10

Fully agree with both your posts re HIRLAM. Arperge also close but not as spot on as HIRLAM. The showers SE of the front also show up on the two latest sat images and are moving NE.

That’s the second secondary school in Crawley closing at lunchtime.  I wouldn’t mind but nothing is happening here and it’s not due to either 😡

#BeastFromTheEast #BigFreeze #snow #shirley #croydon

9 minutes ago, WeatherMoose said:

Just slightly miffed that i looked forward to all this and it wasn't even close to happening

Screenshot_2018-03-01-10-31-41.png

BBC shows the same for Worthing. If Hirlam chart is right we still have a chance of snowfall.

15 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Would also like to know this as I haven't seen my boyfriend for 2 weeks as he's been away on business and he can' come if the trains are bad:(

Is he an over-exited trainspotter??

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

Is he an over-exited trainspotter??

I see what you did there 😂

11 minutes ago, WeatherMoose said:

Just slightly miffed that i looked forward to all this and it wasn't even close to happening

Screenshot_2018-03-01-10-31-41.png

2 Key Points with this...

1. It's the BBC - Poor Since left Meto

2. Hardly ever trust them Forecasts, the Data struggles with these type of events.

I’m not going outside, but this photo shows we have about 3 inches of snow here. The ornamental penguin feels at home 😊

280C8524-C6D7-4BDD-AF4F-DA7F30C273EA.jpeg

Edited by CK1981
  • Like 3

yes but that Hirlam refers to 11.00 which was 10 here.  Nothing happening.

14 minutes ago, Hellboy said:

Just a few more, this time in Stoke, also on the Hoo Peninsula. Those drifts are crazy! 

FB_IMG_1519900238516.jpg

FB_IMG_1519900250865.jpg

Amazing pictures, there!! Wasn't it on the Hoo Peninsular, where a train got stuck in a huge snowdrift, in Jan 1987?I remember, the photos!! If memory serves, didn't British Rail buy a specially adapted locomotive, with snowplough, from Norway, only to get it back to the UK, to find it was the wrong gauge? :oops:

For Kentish folk, now in a snow mood. See link below and reminisce, about Jan 187. Enjoy!!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/remembering-the-1987-whiteout-118663/

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

• Like 2

The whole channel is going to fill with snow and dump it from Truro to Broadstairs.  :nea:

Still very lightly snowing here although NW radar looks like it has already cleared. Hoping the moisture from the easterly/North sea can reinvigorate any fronts coming this far east/north. Otherwise for me it's all eyes to tomorrow morning! 

Deal, East Kent.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

My big mistake was buying a new sledge for our daughter on Sunday...

Are you in Folkestone too?

ListLight

Edited by TSNWK

Just now, Cat Clark said:

Are you in Folkestone too?

No the Surrey Hills

Oh well looks like that's the end of it, not bad at all

Unless someone knows something I don't😉

Thanet - 3.3c

• Sad 1

Hmm, so the 06z GFS does NOT have a reflection of those showers in the Bay of Biscay running to the south/east of the front and gives the SE nothing. The HIRLAM does and it is this area that the model really develops to give the SE its snow this evening...HIRLAM looks far closer to the mark on them at the moment (plenty of time for change!)

VERY interesting. Its kind of like summer plume watching...except with snow!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 5

Light snow still blowing down in Bromely  / Kent - but Radar is  clear, I wonder if this might be the case for a while now? just another moisture being introduced to keep it going, all be it light.

Wishful thinking or not ?

1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Hmm, so the 06z does NOT have a reflection of those showers in the Bay of Biscay running to the south/east of the front and gives the SE nothing. The HIRLAM does and it is this area that the model really develops to give the SE its snow this evening...HIRLAM looks far closer to the mark on them at the moment (plenty of time for change!)

VERY interesting. Its kind of like summer plume watching...except with snow!

Interesting. So do you think we have a chance of snow showers running up from the south into our region later this evening?

9 minutes ago, emf0778 said:

yes but that Hirlam refers to 11.00 which was 10 here.  Nothing happening.

Not exactly true. HIRLAM shows very light snow over the area which is correct. It has been snowing here lightly since 6am.

However, we are referring to the almost perfect match between radar and model regarding the big areas of precip over France.

HIRLAM then shows snow later this afternoon/evening moving into our area, which I assume are the showers building SE of the main precip area and which are moving NE, right at us.

• Like 1