Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

The people saying it's going to turn dry for the rest of the day obviously haven't looked whats coming to our South

5a97c1daa2d45_ScreenShot2018-03-01at09_02_38.thumb.png.09a1251b62f68593b0ae1be6c2701161.png

Plus potential back building as Steve says.

Its certainly picked up as it gets over land meeting colder air plus pulling moisture 

• Like 1

Still heavy snow here on the Isle of Sheppey some roads have been closed by the police due to the drifting funny I thought we wasn't going to ge mmuch not that I am complaining lol the sky looks full of it. :D

IMG-20180301-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20180301-WA0001.jpg

• Like 1

Almost an hour of heavy snowfall here now, all surfaces that had previously melted/sublimed are now covered again, all the foot prints etc are smoothing out.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Likely to spread eastwards and it is due to come northwards. It will feed into what the SW already has BUT it is also the area several models like HIRLAM has been blowing up and spreading across the whole of the south.

My gut it if your in the east ofthe region, its probably less chances it will have much of an impact...but for the western part of the area, particularly Hampshire could well get in on the action.

Although the east of the region is currently doing considerably better than the west of it. Guess it’s how one defines east and west but I’m going to draw my line for later at Winchester and hope I’m off the mark. 

5 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Likely to spread eastwards and it is due to come northwards. It will feed into what the SW already has BUT it is also the area several models like HIRLAM has been blowing up and spreading across the whole of the south.

My gut it if your in the east ofthe region, its probably less chances it will have much of an impact...but for the western part of the area, particularly Hampshire could well get in on the action.

But the HIRLAM had heavy snow across the south too! Not any where near here!! 

I think we will have to wait and see 

Edited by tomp456

HIRLAM seems to have this affecting our region throughout the day - it's been pretty accurate so far so there's still hope it'll build from the back.

It’s really coming down in Wainscott now and blowing around in the wind might squeeze another 1/2 an hour out of it before it clears through.

• Like 1

Probably about 2cms where I am, probably quite a sharp drop off though further north towards Milford, etc.

Anyway watch the area near Brest. We want to see the precip spreading eastwards as its heading northwards. Heaviest stuff will always be to the west though, hence the red warning further west!

Nothing doing in Mid Sussex - occasional light flurry. Just had a message from my daughter who is a nurse in the Scottish Borders (Galashiels) - got to work for her shift at 7am yesterday and hasn't been able to go home since. All roads blocked etc, laying snow already knee-deep with drifting to over 3 metres. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, snowy weather said:

Met ofice seem optimistic for Crawley if anyone is interested.

We are down for continous snow from 10am to 3pm.

I am just up the road but don't hold out much hope.

Someone remind me to move away from worthing to somewhere that actually gets decent snow 

• Like 3

Appears to be fizzling out in Reigate.  Pretty feeble really.

5 minutes ago, Sarah Anne said:

What is back building

when a band of ppn expands 

• Thanks 2

Maybe the off chance of something later, Shoreham airport TAF

EGKA 010835Z 0109/0118 06016KT 9999 FEW025 TEMPO 0109/0118 07020G30KT 3000 -SN BKN012 PROB30 TEMPO 0109/0116 1400 SN BKN006

:)

2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

But the HIRLAM had heavy snow across the south too! Not any where near here!! 

I think we will have to wait and see 

Well I've had some decent snow to be fair!

In terms of radar returns its been by far the closest to what has actually panned out so far as well.Hard to know if it will stay that way mind you!

As I've said before, need to keep a close eye on how the pattern evolves over the next 6hrs, too early to tell yet!

• Like 2

915 radar update

clinging onto the back edge here with more building over tonbridge ( still pitch black here )

Sweet spot currently for next 2 hours 

SE & central / East Essex.

Colchester down to NE london - all points SE down to the thames-

Can the tonbridge line build!?

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 3

For some reason bbc has worthing down for snow from now onwards?

Maybe I confused but wasn’t it showing that this would pass over but then kick the Thames in gear? 

Or was it basically assumed this was it and it would stall? 

Just now, WeatherMoose said:

For some reason bbc has worthing down for snow from now onwards?

Fake news!

We had lovely pink radar returns for several hours, but nout was falling from the sky for 99% of the time! 

3 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Gone in Horley. And that’s just me! 😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

It’s a bit meh!

Snow still coming down quite steadily here, in Lee.

Regards,

Tom.

I think this was it for Brighton, nothing on the radar, remaining snows are melting this morning even without sun. I was expecting that low to bring heavy snow showers but it went to west. As usual Brighton is on the edge again :( 

This is our story:

Snow comes from East - Brighton is just out of the range

Snow comes from North - Brighton is in too south

Snow comes from South - Brighton is in too east

Snow comes from West - Brighton is in too east

we are always out of the range :wallbash:

It was good to see some white patches Tuesday and Wednesday morning tho (before sun melts them away)

• Like 1