Sign in to follow this  
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

9 minutes ago, easton888 said:

Is it supposed to stall over the South of Britain? It's moving up so fast it looks like it'll be past London by 6am!

Could it stall over the south and the south east instead of just the south

3 hours ago, pages said:

@Bricriu the remains of the streamers early on still giving light showers across London. 1am radar update looking good low and associated precip now around 50 miles north east of HIRlam modelling at this time. looking really could for all in south tomorrow. believe it or not central London currently looking the sweet spot that will have the Met office worried when they wake up!! 

the snow has stopped here now, it's just cloudy. i wonder will it clear up before the precipitation from the low gets here? or will it just suddenly starts snowing again?

Edited by Bricriu

h

1 minute ago, easton888 said:

Looks like the low isn't leaving the channel?

Is this going to be a repeat of March 2013 all over again?

3 minutes ago, easton888 said:

Looks like the low isn't leaving the channel?

Yep... there's a fairly intense area of snow off the Kent/E Sussex coast that's been stationary for nearly an hour. 

Edited by TN26

Capture.PNG

Raced up from France and stopped in it's tracks

Edited by TN26

its looking like blizzards in bound

3 minutes ago, tinybill said:

its looking like blizzards in bound

Perhaps we're finally gonna get some decent numbers!!!

i  might be wrong but that my take of my rain alarm

Nothing to report here

seems like all the snow is evaporating before it hits the ground.

:(

Edited by tomp456

Wish me luck I'm just leaving for work. Only driving up to Maidstone from Ashford but who knows what the conditions could be like if that band hits :cc_confused:

Just to make you guys aware, this isn't the main area of ppn... This is arriving later and will be a direct hit for Wales and the west country.

Jay you in the right thread mate?

The winds are intense strongest of the week so far 

5 minutes ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Just to make you guys aware, this isn't the main area of ppn... This is arriving later and will be a direct hit for Wales and the west country.

Unfortunately not, this is not going to plan now while the highest falls look out that way this is not following what we thought it would do, just checking stuff now be back shortly 

Edited by Surrey

Wow could this be Decent snow for Berkshire at last ? Any idea how long this could last today I was thinking it was a West Country blizzard.

6 minutes ago, Jimmyh said:

Jay you in the right thread mate?

The winds are intense strongest of the week so far 

Don't mind if I intrude do you?

7 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Unfortunately not, this is not going to plan now while the highest falls look out that way this is not following what we thought it would do, just checking stuff now be back shortly 

Yes it is, snow forecast here 8am onwards and on time too, heavier snow here later this evening and very little for the London area.

1 minute ago, Jayfromcardiff said:

Yes it is, snow forecast here 8am onwards and on time too, heavier snow here later this evening and very little for the London area.

Radar suggests thats not the case I'm trying to explain why 

Screenshot_20180301-054027.thumb.png.e9b6cbfc659fa1c0b11f2487e981123a.png

The yellow warning has just been extended to cover N Kent/Thames Estuary/S Essex . . . interesting ;-)

warn.JPG

Arome is very dry for all it keeps everything well south while the Arepge and Hirlam continue the snowy theme for all and do bring some big falls for most the further west you are the bigger the falls although it brings a finger of warm air up the south west which could mean freezing rain for south coasts and possible into Wales. 

Current radar does suggest that Hirlam is still close with most of the action still south, sitting in the bay of biscay latest sat also suggests this. Its not actually until after lunch that I think we will see any heavier stuff arrive. It really is taking its time as it comes up against the cold block. 

This is an evolving situation that frankly most don't have a scooby what will happen next 

That area of snow has been sat there off the coast for over an hour and doesn't want to come ashore.

Hey, in March 1977 there was a near identical weather/synoptic situation. A blizzard was forecast for the south, but in the end only the south west copped it - and biiiig time. Or was it Feb 1978 ... 

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

Estuary looks like it is firing up again, radar returns intensifying on ever update with greens appearing on North Kent coast. Just checked out the window and it's starting to snow again in Southend.