Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Some photos from the last couple of days. Near Bewl Water in East Sussex.

Posted Images

Just shows how in convective snowy spells how the forecasts mean little in the short term - we’re currently under persistent snowfall, alternating between light to heavy, and have been for several hours. Streamer is set up. There was more snow today across more northern parts of the region than the previous 2 days combined - even though all the forecasts said that the showers would dry up in the SE today. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Just posted this on the other thread, Hirlam at 11.00am in the morning.

hirlamuk-1-16-0.png?28-22

Ooooooh dear. That's the time my train is due to leave for yorkshire. Im not gonna get there am I? haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tom Jarvis said:

Freezing rain won’t melt the snow and it is an much rarer weather phenomenon than snow which if you do get it will be something you will most likely see once in your life 

Only seen this once, when I was about 12 and living in Devon. It was utterly bizarre - it was 40 years ago but I can vividly recall it. We lived in a cottage half way up a hill.....absolutely every surface was covered in a thin layer of ice. It was literally impossible to move anywhere without falling. Roads, cars, walls.....all simply coated in sheer ice. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Just posted this on the other thread, Hirlam at 11.00am in the morning.

hirlamuk-1-16-0.png?28-22

Is that 1-2cms for most of SE? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, danm said:

Just shows how in convective snowy spells how the forecasts mean little in the short term - we’re currently under persistent snowfall, alternating between light to heavy, and have been for several hours. Streamer is set up. There was more snow today across more northern parts of the region today than the previous 2 days combined - even though all the forecasts said that the showers would dry up in the SE today. 

Classic underestimation from the forecasters today!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Only seen this once, when I was about 12 and living in Devon. It was utterly bizarre - it was 40 years ago but I can vividly recall it. We lived in a cottage half way up a hill.....absolutely every surface was covered in a thin layer of ice. It was literally impossible to move anywhere without falling. Roads, cars, walls.....all simply coated in sheer ice. 

Quite probably the most dangerous type of weather there is out there in the winter. Also no it won't melt the snow that's already there, if anything I'll probably help it giving it will

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also only seen Freezing Rain once in my life in the 2010 Spell.

Was amazing to look at, almost like the Krispy Kreme Glazed Donuts you buy, the wheels were encased in ice on my car, absolutely lethal stuff

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Clearly convective snow can’t be forecast much in advance this spell has underlined. I kind of new that but still have been surprised about the frequency of snow showers over a number of days. 

 

Today was leaving South Croydon at 6am to catch a flight to Amsterdam. Amazing windchill here. I also got a picture of a frozen canal but can’t seem to upload it. 

Back to Gatwick midday tomorrow. Flight currently saying no delays expected. We shall see. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, turkishfella said:

nothing falling from sky in Brighton :( I am checking this radar, do you guys think it is good one?

https://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/radar2.php?region=uk&mode=1

 

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 21.59.35.png

The streamer that gave some flakes over brighton has moved west.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

The pivot over France looks to be starting now 

I don't think it really matters now. There is so much on that radar that it seems the entire south coast will be getting at least something. 

Also look at the echoes from the east of that front just east of Paris. 

Interesting. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Spot the difference there ain't much. pretty accurate. Radar for 10pm. Harlem chart for 10pm says 23:00 as its French and they hour ahead. much closer than any other model so you hope what it shows for tomorrow is going to be most accurate.

image.thumb.png.ce97a7b1c9c3122e08aa952afa68e48d.png

image.thumb.png.d243a63d24878fa13e6f1998d0eff1a8.png

showers on off all night. light snow moving in from 6am heavy blizzards from 8am-1pm then light snow to 5pm followed by repeat Friday. yes please HIrlam.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Snowy Bob said:

I don't think it really matters now. There is so much on that radar that it seems the entire south coast will be getting at least something. 

Also look at the echoes from the east of that front just east of Paris. 

Interesting. 

Lets hope so. What time would you put on it? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...