Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Right, I am going to be honest, I did not expect this thread to be so busy. Which is fantastic in my opinion. But perhaps the current plan for this thread needs to be reconsidered. As such I will soon be opening a thread for East Anglia and North London whilst this one will become the Kent, Home counties and south London thread. 

It is done

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, hot and sunny in summer

Clouding over in Tunbridge Wells now....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers & Thunderstorms Cold Winters & Snow
6 minutes ago, James Oliver said:

Woohoo!!

blob.png

I hate to burst your bubble but I *think* that's one of those anoprop thingies as it's gone by the next frame...

Edited by Ben Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

ECM 12z is literally the definition of a tight run thing, having seen it in 3hr installments it goes for a spell of snow on the warm front on Thursday morning (several other models do this and it is something to be watched!) then freezing rain then back to snow for most of this region apart from maybe those north of London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers, Snowy winters.
4 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Max temperatures for the coming week, courtesey of the GFS.

24-582UK.GIF?25-12   48-582UK.GIF?25-12   72-582UK.GIF?25-12

Tomorrow - 1C                                                   Tuesday - 1C but likely to be an                    Wednesday - (-1C) Ice day for all

ice day for most

96-582UK.GIF?25-12   120-582UK.GIF?25-12

Thursday - (-1C ) again a regionwide ice     Friday - 4C (Take with a huge pinch of salt 

day                                                                as this requires the milder air to actually reach us.

I am 28 years old and this spell will be the coldest in my living memory (I can't recall 1991 as I was a wee nipper), this is the real deal so remember to wrap up warm, and be careful driving in what will likely be very icy and potentially snowy conditions. Also make sure that any vulnerable people you might know are okay, if the cold ends by the weekend it won't be too bad but if like the ECM op it continues into the following week then these people will likely struggle.

Anyway, here it is, for all the let downs. This is a proper beast from the east.

Really well put, Matt. People getting hung up on the snow, just the temps (and windchill) are going to be an eyeopener (or closer) 

Friday temps look prime if everything comes together, i.e. chaos.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and very warm (not hot!)
2 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Right, I am going to be honest, I did not expect this thread to be so busy. Which is fantastic in my opinion. But perhaps the current plan for this thread needs to be reconsidered. As such I will soon be opening a thread for East Anglia and North London whilst this one will become the Kent, Home counties and south London thread. 

What about west London ?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Captain Shortwave said:

So here in Lowland East London I'm with the East Anglia/North London mob.

Perhaps it should be East Anglia and North /East London or the "I don't go sarf of the river after midnight, mate!" forum.

Posted
Just now, Ben Blizzard said:

I hate to burst your bubble but I *think* that's one of those anoprop thingies as it's gone by the next frame...

I know...bubble well and truly burst!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
20 minutes ago, Surrey said:

NMM having a laugh?

Out to Tuesday

nmm_uk1-26-36-0.thumb.png.96fe00262e5f6357f7785a2478e54c8a.png

That looks about right as it goes.

Posted
Just now, stodge said:

Perhaps it should be East Anglia and North /East London or the "I don't go sarf of the river after midnight, mate!" forum.

Nah your better staying here as your weather will be far more comparable to the areas south of the river due to possible streamer which you'd likely get in East Ham in any ENE flow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
5 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Updated MetO's Forecast Is Impressive

This is the one. METO seem to think showers all night.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
25 minutes ago, Climate change said:

I’m not even sure this thread covers my area.

I'm starting to think the same thing :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.
1 minute ago, Easily sled said:

What about west London ?

To be honest the splitting of the thread is to give people a chance to keep up with the thread as it is going at a real rate of knots. General guidance is if you are south of the thames then post here, north of the thames post there but that is probably quite crude so you could get away with either to be honest. :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe thunderstorms
1 minute ago, throwoff said:

This is the one. METO seem to think showers all night.

Love that METO forecast, am I right in saying that their map looks as if a streamer is evident, possible an amber warning tommorow if it’s continuous through the day.

Edited by Justin123
  • Like 1

Posted

I work for Ringway Jacobs / Essex county council, double grit runs tonight, and all out all week, 8 runs a day, even the rusty old ploughs were tested on Friday, anyway 20grams of salt each run, 60g of salt on the roads by tommorow morning, out at 2am for my go at gritting will be getting my map reader to update me on the radars, they love me at work, always tell them what the weathers doing, I told them about this spell before the bosses were stressing out Friday when they requested more info from Met office! Salt been brought in at a steady rate!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter

Cloud rolling in here now.

Temp risen from -1c to -0.3c in last 15 mins.

DP risen also.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Ties in with the NMM which also shows Surrey grabbing something.

Love this rare timenin British weather where we can be guessing where and when places will get snow, not if and what? ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
6 minutes ago, stodge said:

Tbh it should be Norfolk, Suffolk and N Essex :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love hot sunshine and cold snowy weather
47 minutes ago, london-snow said:

Beast from the east?

OR

Bas**** from the east? 

Honestly the way this has been hyped up and now a possibility of a few snow showers here and there (except those near coastal locations which is more favourable) is pathetic followed by a snow to rain event come end of week, 

Roll on spring if we can’t see settling snow that sticks around for a few days. Here’s hoping that the outlook looks more favourable.

Blimey you’re a bundle of laughs aren’t you! ??yes let’s hope it’s as good as the optimistic amongst us anticipate!

Posted

Should have a thread for north east Kent, won't have to worry about the snow, just talk about how chuffing cold it is

4 minutes ago, snowray said:

That looks about right as it goes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
2 minutes ago, Justin123 said:

I work for Ringway Jacobs / Essex county council, double grit runs tonight, and all out all week, 8 runs a day, even the rusty old ploughs were tested on Friday, anyway 20grams of salt each run, 60g of salt on the roads by tommorow morning, out at 2am for my go at gritting will be getting my map reader to update me on the radars, they love me at work, always tell them what the weathers doing, I told them about this spell before the bosses were stressing out Friday when they requested more info from Met office! Salt been brought in at a steady rate!

Thanks for looking after us and working at night in this cold weather

• Like 2