Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Just popped in to wish my southeast friends lots of snow, the radar looks very active so you should do well and that includes the coming days!..you deserve this

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Pretty sure it’s a streamer already. Without a drastic change of wind this is going to push through for some time. 

I don't know really. It's not exactly a classic streamer set up. For one thing the whole band is kind of moving on a slant and the apparent stream is oriented WSW-ENE. For another, there is no obvious 'spawn' area where the stream is backbuilding and originating new showers. 

More like some really interesting and vigorous convergence. But I'm watching the estuary like you. Certainly cause to be hopeful for the rest of the night.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Hm, a bit conservative no? I'm in Richmond myself and watching closely, and so far it seems to be sticking together quite well and maintaining intensity, and I'm thinking lucky parts of West London could get that big yellow blob. Together with leading and trailing edges etc, that has to amount to 1-2 inches...

Orientation seems to be WNW on one viewing, but if you watch the energy, you can see that still has slightly more WSW tilt to it. Plus the models have tended to show it veering more to the southeast eventually after riding over the hump.

We'll have to see if it does keep its course and intensity obviously, but IF it does, i reckon there might be a bit more than a cm in there.

In any case it's already hit eastern half of London and will disrupt the city and embarrass the metoffice amusingly.

Stopped here... And if you animate the radar,  showers still mostly went either side but still came down..  but not heavy as others... So it snowed.. Melted.. Snowed again.. Melted a bit.. Froze. Then snowed again.. So grand total of.. No idea :cc_confused: :cold:

_20180228_023842.JPG

2 minutes ago, TN9 said:

Stopped here... And if you animate the radar,  showers still mostly went either side but still came down..  but not heavy as others... So it snowed.. Melted.. Snowed again.. Melted a bit.. Froze. Then snowed again.. So grand total of.. No idea :cc_confused: :cold:

_20180228_023842.JPG

Wow, didn't realise you suffered from melt in Tonbridge so badly. Thought that wasnt an issue today even in the Tonbridge crater... Still seems you've prob done relatively well though.

• Like 1

Signing off now-

new Snow 4cm

Total Fallen 21cm

afternoon melt -2cm 

Current depth 19cm/7 inches.

Looking for about -7c when the skies clear for dawn !

Final radar grab - Lots of schools closed tomorrow in NW kent / SE london - maybe NE london etc

Front seems to be holding together - so 1-4cm estimated across the piste...

2C5E7AC3-A609-4A4D-BD5D-AD65A7707E5E.thumb.png.9f960ed61d10e88c99636f4f56a46590.png

• Like 3

At 1.30am in Grays i had no snow on my car I have just mesured on the roof of it now it has 7cm still chucking down should easily make it to 10cm before it eases off here in around half hour

2 minutes ago, lewis028 said:

Wow just wow! Looked out window just now and easily another 10-15cm here in Leigh! Got to drive to work at half 4 near city airport..could struggle 

yep southend been smashed

• Like 1

My car had no snow on it yesterday evening, it's now got 9cm on it. 

This is absolutely incredible, over a foot of level snow, I think this has probably reached 2010 levels of snow! Day off work for me 100%.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, Daniel Smith said:

Must be past a foot of level snow here now, absolutely incredible!!

Ok if that's a real estimate... and not measured in kentimetres... You have to upload some photos!!! I'm sure there's some surface available and you must have a flash on your phone - we all want to see that!

The wife just gone to work and heard her leave about 2.45 so thought i would have a look out the window and boom its snowing quite heavily in Locksbottom and everything has been covered up where it melted yesterday.Looking at Radar may have 30-60mins left of snow before it moves away so could get another 2cms.That will be enough for schools to close lol!!Temp -5.4 

So it's started snowing here near Richmond. And it looks like we could be in line for plenty more (notwithstanding possible changes and general unpredictable meteorological wizardry...)

Told myself I'd just wait for the heavy stuff to arrive and then go to sleep. Now I want to stay up and watch... Oh dear...

• Like 1