Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
  • Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Officially signing off from my Perch by the window. Have a great year -  Enjoy it with your Families- Current pic - 4.5 inches    my favourite pic - Cheers All

So this is it, the end of winter. Time to look forward to Spring..... Wait, what's this?        Apparently not. So for the time being, we will remain as one for this cold spell. Ple

Some photos from the last couple of days. Near Bewl Water in East Sussex.

Posted Images

Posted
    1 minute ago, londonblizzard said:

Can anyone estimate the depth of snow for central London from this incoming precip? Or how long it might last?

1-3cm   from this shower 

and 1cm maybe 2 from the clump behind it

Edited by Lampostwatcher
    • Like 1
    Posted
    Just now, londonblizzard said:

Can anyone estimate the depth of snow for central London from this incoming precip? Or how long it might last?

5-10cm+ I sense seeing how this is developing a big surprise! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

We officially have a Thames Streamer. Essex Weather Centre refers to North Sea off Essex coast and Thames Estuary as having lit up and being snow machines. If winds stay favourable as expected this could cause rush hour disruption. MetO need to extend warning into London.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

I think as long as PPN holds together your ok for a possible cm - I know its not huge :( but nice to see - it also *may* fizzle out

EFB7FBD8-D00B-4B31-B6CE-ED43582A3B2B.thumb.png.e75d71b65e57d1c4ef5ce8ab6cf81fb4.png

Hm, a bit conservative no? I'm in Richmond myself and watching closely, and so far it seems to be sticking together quite well and maintaining intensity, and I'm thinking lucky parts of West London could get that big yellow blob. Together with leading and trailing edges etc, that has to amount to 1-2 inches...

Orientation seems to be WNW on one viewing, but if you watch the energy, you can see that still has slightly more WSW tilt to it. Plus the models have tended to show it veering more to the southeast eventually after riding over the hump.

We'll have to see if it does keep its course and intensity obviously, but IF it does, i reckon there might be a bit more than a cm in there.

In any case it's already hit eastern half of London and will disrupt the city and embarrass the metoffice amusingly.

• Like 1
    Posted

Its sort of a streamer

more favouring North / NE london - which is fair I giess aw they have missed out- also SE london

Still squeezing it here

26C963C0-418A-4136-9BC5-3B5140FF923A.thumb.png.bb65d6f0dcba02cd1c2db88d3be3116c.png

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

If that keep going till rush hour this is going to be some serious depth.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

Pretty sure it’s a streamer already. Without a drastic change of wind this is going to push through for some time. 

Posted

Time for bed! Good luck to all still in with a shout. Another 10cm here in sittingbourne and probably a snow day. Next stop Thursdays fun!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Anything headed towards Heathrow area? Want more than a pathetic cm please!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, more snow and even more snow..Oh and I love a good old Thunderstorm
    Just now, stainesbloke said:

Anything headed towards Heathrow area? Want more than a pathetic cm please!

Yes winds favourable till 8amish

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
    Just now, Surrey said:

Yes winds favourable till 8amish

Great! Seems like everyone getting pasted apart from here lol

Posted

Sat right under the yellows on the radar that developed over Beckenham 10 mins ago. Not seen snow like in quite a while. Still coming down hard - comfortably an inch in 30 minutes.

Bravo.

Posted
    7 minutes ago, throwoff said:

Pretty sure it’s a streamer already. Without a drastic change of wind this is going to push through for some time. 

I don't know really. It's not exactly a classic streamer set up. For one thing the whole band is kind of moving on a slant and the apparent stream is oriented WSW-ENE. For another, there is no obvious 'spawn' area where the stream is backbuilding and originating new showers. 

More like some really interesting and vigorous convergence. But I'm watching the estuary like you. Certainly cause to be hopeful for the rest of the night.

• Like 1