Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

26 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

It's clearly far from 'all hype'. Read these pages more closely. It's met or surpassed expectations for many. Big hit I'd say.

to be fair, while some favoured areas have had decent snowfall, region-wise, most of us have only had minimal snow. the "beast" hasn't delivered anywhere near the potential it had. however, thats no-ones fault, its just the way it is. some have mocked others because they predicted a hell of a lot more snow and it didnt happen, which is unfair because the charts were showing it. if anything, it just shows how difficult snow is to predict.

i should add- its not over yet...

Edited by bobbydog
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

As feared,the sun has done much damage,just driven to hastings from northiam,temp on car was -1.5c all the way there and back,amazed that it's melting with temps below freezing,going to check the radar,to see if my luck is in

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, anything-but said:

Went for a walk to Ranscombe Farm nature reserve (just 2 mins from my front door).

Doesn't look like i'll be going anywhere on my motorbike for a couple of days.

IMG_20180227_144912.thumb.jpg.6851146b7bdc0f19990524a95c8371b2.jpgIMG_20180227_143019.thumb.jpg.343978fafd3c00f41349d3906dbca863.jpgIMG_20180227_143010.thumb.jpg.3af507a5cdfe5a5d3ff3185dede22c55.jpgIMG_20180227_142144.thumb.jpg.8b44184eb28f566d4f7de29ce707fe33.jpg

Look forward to calling my mum who’s in Meopham not far away 😄

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

to be fair, while some favoured areas have had decent snowfall, region-wise, most of us have only had minimal snow. the "beast" hasn't delivered anywhere near the potential it had. however, thats no-ones fault, its just the way it is. some have mocked others because they predicted a hell of a lot more snow and it didnt happen, which is unfair because the charts were showing it. if anything, it just shows how difficult snow is to predict.

Not ideal wind direction for some of us. Hope Thu/Fri deliver for those not had much snow yet.

Edited by prolongedSnowLover
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, snowrye said:

As feared,the sun has done much damage,just driven to hastings from northiam,temp on car was -1.5c all the way there and back,amazed that it's melting with temps below freezing,going to check the radar,to see if my luck is in

It will always melt in the sun. This time of year theres quite a bit of sun when it comes out

20 minutes ago, paget said:

Patiently waiting for the heavy london shower! 🤞

Go to the top of Folly Hill with a decent pair of binoculars.  

8 minutes ago, craigore said:

Its no 82,87,91,10. Lets be honest.

To late in the season & not enough convection.

Love to be proved wrong..

Agree would add Feb09 to that list too

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, prolongedSnowLover said:

Not ideal wind direction for some of us. Hope Thu/Fri deliver for those not had much snow yet.

yep, still a chance yet...

2 minutes ago, snowrye said:

Yeah

Quite amazing temps widely below or at freezing & yet so mch snow melt. 

Just goes to show the strength of the sun in late Feb.

Im old enough to remember the beast from 87 & although we had a lot more snow & colder tempratures , the Sun was a factor for areas south facing.. 2 weeks is a long time in meterological winter where the sun is concerned.

91'' was at the beginning of Feb and the sun wasnt mch of an issuie (very cold)

No real melt at all here today even in the sunshine this p.m. maxed out at -0.2c around 1pm and down to -0.8c now. No additional snow since late morning but measured level depth of 18cm earlier. Time to make the kids (well for me anyway) an igloo !

• Like 1

Recently woke from my post lunch nap and missed seeing same shower, that went through ,more central areas , of London. Damn, but wife did right letting me sleep!! 

Must have come down pretty heavy, for a while, although melting I'm places, have a couple of cms, in places  now. Now sunny again.

Cracking me up, how many media outlets, are you using the catchy line of, "Beast from the East"! They did get that from us, didn't they?

What will they call it, if we get a wet, changeable Summer, " Pest from the West" ? :D I wonder,  if that will catch on ?

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

• Like 1

However temps have been impressive today at 1pm on Esher high st temp was -1.5c in brilliant sunshine like the Alps in April !! 

Edited by Badgers01
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, fulham snow said:

Your right there,might be more on the Downs,but on Woodcote Estate about 1cm

We have friends on the Woodcote and I know the roads don't get gritted there so I hope it doesn't get too icy for you! I' actually in Ashtead but my son goes to school near the Downs, we had to go to Tadworth this morning and that already had more lying snow left there before today! If I hadn't been busy I was going to drive as far as I could get East to enjoy some!x

Still deep patches of snow left, but the sun is taking it's toll. It may be chaos on the roads tomorrow, with the melted snow refreezing, (perhaps) coupled with additional snowfall.

2 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Recently woke from my post lunch nap and missed seeing same shower, that went through ,more central areas , of London. Damn, but wife did right letting me sleep!! 

Must have come down pretty heavy, for a while, although melting I'm places, have a couple of cms, in places  now. Now sunny again.

Cracking me up, how many media outlets, are you using the catchy line of, "Beast from the East"! They did get that from us, didn't they?

What will they call it, if we get a wet, changeable Summer, " Pest from the West" ? :D I wonder,  if that will catch on ?

Regards,

"The Beast from the East" has been used by the media for many a year, but not in the 1962/63 winter - which was dominated for months by that beast.

Latest GFS run calls for widespread heavy snow throughout Friday with a low probability of it turning to rain.

overview_078.thumb.jpg.ea169599fe34099d1943b649fd8f0f37.jpg

Edited by snowfall09
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, snowfall09 said:

Latest GFS run calls for widespread heavy snow throughout Friday with a low probability of it turning to rain.

I was surprised to see the SE showing as heavy snow but I guess it’s as the winds turn NE that’ll help us 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowfall09 said:

Latest thinking from the met office is that Sat will also be cold in the south - e.g. Aldershot 3C, but on the coast nearer 5C. Thurs/Fri sub zero in the day with snow.  So says the met office. 

Got some light snow in Folky now. Be intriguing to see what happens later. If anything. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TomSE12 said:

Regards,

Haha.... they stole my username lol.. ❄

• Like 1