Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

After the Kent County Council " Snow Emergency " statement and most the Eastern Rail network stopping at 10pm, I'd be amazed if many don't get a decent covering, in the warning areas especially.

Booking flight to Guernsey... 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

Big area over Tumbridge Wells has definitely changed shape and direction in the last 15 mins. Reckon Reigate, Dorking and Surrey Hills are now in the firing line...

E2CD7D35-82A5-4A2B-B82D-320BB4DA61E7.jpeg

Snowing in Dorking now!

I don’t believe it. I have 3-4” icicles hanging from the street lamp! Not seen an icicle in yonks!

• Like 9

17 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

polystyrene balls, settling.

Really?

Meanwhile in the mod thread the handbag swinging is in errrr full swing

Fine powder snow blowing around ,nice

• Like 1

Just been out to measure I now have 4.5cms of lying snow.  I wonder how much more will fall overnight?  I am in the amber warning area so am hoping. But been disappointed many times before

Decent covering in Haywards Heath now, shows that when you get a direct hit from a shower it can turn things white pretty quickly. Hoping for lots more direct hits over the next 12+ hours! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Southender said:

No chance haha.

5-10cm perhaps if things pick up overnight. Which will do just fine.

Honestly I see it a little bit.

1 hour = 1inch MO have 6 hours of Heavy snow with a few more of light through the night. 6 inches = 15cm.

We shall see.

5 minutes ago, Thinon said:

I appreciate there's still a fair bit of snow potential over the next 2-3 days, and some will see more than others.. but it just shows how embarrassing those comparisons were with 1987/1991.

The low 850's are comparable though. So why is that embarrassing? And that is all that can be compared from way out. Whether any instability can give comparable snow is far more difficult to predict. Get the cold in first and all of that.....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Decent covering in Haywards Heath now, shows that when you get a direct hit from a shower it can turn things white pretty quickly. Hoping for lots more direct hits over the next 12+ hours! 

Oh, here's another one! So that's Dorking, Haywards Heath, South Croydon, Burgess Hill...

The Horley ring donut :rofl:

Based on the current setup, not expecting anything more than a dusting for my area tonight/tomorrow. A very clear streamer developed missing out my area completely, as expected. Thursday does bring some interest though with the BBC staying firm on a potential blizzard.

18 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Best of luck to all of you on the Essex coast and Kent, looks like a fun night. Some of the showers heading your way are really packing a punch with sizeable totals over parts of the Suffolk coast along with reports of thunder and lightning, and the convection potential actually increases further tomorrow.

Oh come now please. How can most get excited when a few passing heavy snow showers that  acculimate to zilch during daylight hours be classed as the ‘Beast from the east’ I’d prefer ‘The nat from the north west’ at least that gave us a frost.

Most if not all here are looking for lying snowfall not fleeting showers that melt in a few secs.

• Like 2

Great to not hear the drip drip drip

Not so great to see zero convection looking east from the Estuary

And where is the wind ?? Clouds are not moving up there

Eerie feel not a sound out there, where has the beast gone or is it purring asleep atm

BBC forcast just now shows band of snow hitting Worthing [and north east of it for a long way] later tonight. Worthing could also cop it on Weds as snow hits the south coast from the east.

Just now, london-snow said:

Oh come now please. How can most get excited when a few passing heavy snow showers that  acculimate to zilch during daylight hours be classed as the ‘Beast from the east’ I’d prefer ‘The nat from the north west’ at least that gave us a frost.

Most if not all here are looking for lying snowfall not fleeting showers that melt in a few secs.

Problem is that some of us have lying snow. 3cm that hasn't dripped away and that will still be there tomorrow morning is something that hasn't happened in a long time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Snowing gently north of Steyning [west north west of Brighton]. Should get to Worthing and/or west of worthing. 

Well, it's arrived in Lancing! After about an hour of very light powdery grains, it's now snowing properly. Cars and road covered already.