Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

17 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Yes mate

meant the paths and roads that had been cleared

Ahh ok cool.

• Like 1

Liking the look of tomorrow, potential from prolonged snow due to a very slow moving band hitting us.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

have i seen it? i've been watching it for hours. its like watching england play football!

Do you also live in Folkestone? 🙈

BBC SE news really making this a monumental historic event.... Really think they're making a meal of our all.... It's hardly been as bad as recent memory let alone more than 15 years ago..... Sorry if this upsets some but too many people are becoming overtly wuussy and to ready to blame....

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

lol @ Daniel being corrected by a pro

Me and Liam D have some history the negative sort, having a different opinion isn’t bad though. :D 

I don’t believe he has a meteorological degree and well neither do I but I do have a degree in ‘science’, he is on channel 4 so... ;)

• Like 2

Hi peeps so we are all ready for our final goodbye tomorrow it's going to bit sad to see which could well be the last of the snow for us. Just listened to the BBC forcast and we have got 6 or 7 hours of snow tomorrow starting at 2 or 3pm, the presenter said it could be a tricky rush hour. I won't be surprised if we get fresh warnings tomorrow.  

Anyway let's make the most of it. Who knows when our guest from the east will come again. 

Nght night all 😊

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

I agree its been a pants week for snow, its been bitterly cold but just hardly any snow here.... not comparable to 2010 at all

So disappointing, maybe one last feeble attempt tomorrow

This is no 2010,or 2013 for me snow wise

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

I agree its been a pants week for snow, its been bitterly cold but just hardly any snow here.... not comparable to 2010 at all

So disappointing, maybe one last feeble attempt tomorrow

Mixed feelings about this cold spell here. The depth of cold has been pretty remarkable, 2 consecutive ice days near Heathrow, that’s very rare. Nice to see some heavy snow showers, too. Am disappointed with snow amounts here though, at most have got to about 3cm laying snow which is pathetic, had much, much more in 2010 and 2013.. Not expecting much more before the milder air arrives so my interest is rapidly waning. Good that so many have had a decent spell, however.

• Like 1

Still just snizzle in Bromley - saw something heavier from croydon in a video, so maybe heavier snow later I’m hoping

I thought people said BBC Weather was pants now? Not having go honest but read its not so good after split with Metoffice yet when it's forecasting snow for us It's ooops forget that Yahoo we love BBC Weather Most confusing 

Just watched BBC forecast...seriously don't know whether to travel into the City tomorrow.  Gut feeling London could get a dumping.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1

That looks about it for my area now..  I had about another cm tonight :)

So BBC say some snow later tonight and a grand finale tomorrow from mid afternoon for SE and London, but uncertainty over heaviness. Here's hoping for a great ending to an amazing week!  

Just now, Whereisthesnow? said:

Just watched BBC forecast...seriously don't know whether to travel into the City tomorrow.  Gut feeling London could get a dumping.  Thoughts?

They seem to think we will have a spell of snow, not expected to be heavy, though they said it’s giving them ‘forecasting headaches’. Could be another cm or two?

6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The council tweeted it I just saw it retweeted. March 2013 was amazing in Brighton I remember the photos.. Central London has more than you! I have had very healthy cover for three days now, no melt really absolutely none today it’s surreal for here. I am one in the worst places for snow, and this cold spell has been truly exceptional. I won’t forget it ever. The number of hours of falling snow I’ve seen must be over 24 hours, some of the most heaviest snowfall I’ve seen ever seen courtesy from a shower which went over heart of London, that was the craziest thing I ever experienced. Visibility you couldn’t see across the road - completely torrential and going horizontal in 10 minutes it dumped 2” then I had a dumping from a ‘Thames Streamer’. The depth I have is shy of 10cm however it would be more, but a fair amount has evaporated. Everything’s frozen solid it’s been that way 24/7 to think I struggle to get an air frost and lately it’s been -3.5C at midday. I have a mini drift in my garden, I will miss this weather dearly it’s been a five year long wait. It knocks 2013 out water, coldest spell of weather probably seen since 1991, not even 2010 compares.

Ok, you've gone a little off plan there, but I remain deeply sceptical that Brighton will get 5-10cm tonight.

If central London has more snow than Reigate then great, happy days, I'm 52 years old and am very pleased that although I love the drama of snow I don't give a monkey's about where it falls as long as it doesn't make peoples' lives a misery.

Might get some kip soon, I may get up slightly earlier to check on the radar. Let's hope we wake up to some surprises, and let's hope the last batch of snow tomorrow delivers!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

They seem to think we will have a spell of snow, not expected to be heavy, though they said it’s giving them ‘forecasting headaches’. Could be another cm or two?

Cheers SB...was thinking issue with trains...IF...heavy..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whereisthesnow? said:

The reality is that we probably wont know until tomorrow... Lot's of uncertainty. 

Just now, Whereisthesnow? said:

It’s all a bit vague. Personally, I think you’ll be fine, doesn’t look too severe, unless we get freezing rain, of course! Now I’ve said that, we’ll get a right dumping lol

Im not going to get my hopes re tomoz,if it happens it happens

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

oh its been cold yes, but snow wise awful, had probably 5cms total, most of which has melted in the sun. 2010 was cold and also had about 30-40 CM's of snow, was amazing

I didn’t have that issue here surprisingly I bet overall I’ve had upwards of 20cm some thawed slightly and most of it sublimated.

This was satellite image taken yesterday midday. How rare is this, even capital snow covered? And still is for that matter. Our region overall did very well as one would expect. Some less so, but I’d say you’re in the minority?

Parts of Essex, Kent, Norfolk and Suffolk especially have seen some truly amazing snowfall even London has well IMBY. With winds whipping up there are considerable drifts in many places.

More to come tommorow, looking fruitful for all of us 2-7cm widespread I reckon. Not looking forward to the thaw. :( 

74A62764-7202-45EE-B493-D3F0CF141DB2.thumb.jpeg.3e787ad8c917964e6cfeac51cfecc97e.jpeg

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Watching Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze on BBC4 black and white footage of the notorious 62/63 winter, amazing how much disruption and suffering it caused, even back then, so many places cut off by drifting snow and running short of food, SW was worse hit back then, but then there were blizzards following blizzards, not just one

Incredible to watch. Makes a mockery out of our 5 day cold spell! What did you make of their explanation about why it occurred? Hawaaii?