Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Recommended Posts

snowing quite heavily now and being blown around in quite a strong wind. last gust 53mph.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Southender said:

If that Eastern flank over Dieppe can get anywhere near the mouth of the Thames, then game on for the eastern side as well. Gut feel is the whole lot will get a big pull NW before then unfortunately.

Been keeping a sneaky eye on it as well. Really have no right to expect anything but have hit the jackpot so far, so why Not?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If and it is still a big *if* the Eastward shift turns into reality this will be a big success for HIRLAM as this showed this last night.Hasn"t happened yet but in next 3-4 hours we will know.Fascinating Radar watching and has a way to go tonight.Going to start a bottle of Malbec and either celebrate or drown my sorrows-Any excuse :D

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember though, that band is still going to pivot to the NW and slide that direction

 

Fingers crossed it doesnt pivot too much mind you

Edited by steveinsussex
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Didn’t expect anything from this but I’m inside the amber warning so feeling more optimistic. Is anyone else worrying about rising temperatures though? Up to about -1 here, dp about -3 so still some wiggle room but don’t want them to keep on climbing!

Yes I noticed that. Got temp now -0.3 and dew point still low at -7 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Sussex Snowman said:

Didn’t expect anything from this but I’m inside the amber warning so feeling more optimistic. Is anyone else worrying about rising temperatures though? Up to about -1 here, dp about -3 so still some wiggle room but don’t want them to keep on climbing!

Yeah freezing rain is probably a real threat for a time overnight, especially as the warmer uppers starts to really increase at 850hpa and above. Should cool pretty quickly back below 0C though at 850hpa which is what we need to turn it back to snow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, c00ps said:

Do u need anything? 

Thankfully, my siblings have taken pity on me and are taking me food shopping tomorrow. I can walk around the block, but the shop is down a fairly steep hill and that's out of the question. I'm OK to drive but the road is ridiculous.

 

But thank you :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, ThamesStreamer said:

The build to the East of the system was exactly what we needed to bring us back into play. Now watch the Channel and Strait of Dover go off like a bomb and pep it up....

We need to see Calais light up like a xmas tree in the next hour...if so then game on for all of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Light snow started at in Hailsham.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When did the amber warning get upgraded to move it further NE into our region? The met office used to issue times of their warnings and updates but I can't find the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Southender said:

 

We need to see Calais light up like a xmas tree in the next hour...if so then game on for all of us.

Hope it dazzles 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chionomaniac said:

When did the amber warning get upgraded to move it further NE into our region? The met office used to issue times of their warnings and updates but I can't find the time.

Was around 18:00

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

If and it is still a big *if* the Eastward shift turns into reality this will be a big success for HIRLAM as this showed this last night.Hasn"t happened yet but in next 3-4 hours we will know.Fascinating Radar watching and has a way to go tonight.Going to start a bottle of Malbec and either celebrate or drown my sorrows-Any excuse :D

Already is a reality, this is far further east than pretty much every model was prediciting even on their 00z runs from this morning. I've probably got 3x the amount originally forecasted.

Anyway snow has eased right back, looks like we are in a lull though radar isn't really portraying that very well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, chionomaniac said:

When did the amber warning get upgraded to move it further NE into our region? The met office used to issue times of their warnings and updates but I can't find the time.

Weirdly the update times only appear on the mobile version of their site, it's one of my biggest gripes about their warning page. People need to know how up to date the damn things are!

Latest EC has shifted it a long way east and northeast.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lauren said:

Thankfully, my siblings have taken pity on me and are taking me food shopping tomorrow. I can walk around the block, but the shop is down a fairly steep hill and that's out of the question. I'm OK to drive but the road is ridiculous.

 

But thank you :)

Ok good to know. As you’re basically part of the Medway posse just thought I’d check 👍my 4x4 has been great in this otherwise don’t think I’d have got out of my close either 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mark Bayley said:

Was around 18:00

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

When did the amber warning get upgraded to move it further NE into our region? The met office used to issue times of their warnings and updates but I can't find the time.

It’s been within the last 30-30 mins

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

When did the amber warning get upgraded to move it further NE into our region? The met office used to issue times of their warnings and updates but I can't find the time.

Updated: 29 minutes ago

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Weirdly the update times only appear on the mobile version of their site, it's one of my biggest gripes about their warning page. People need to know how up to date the damn things are!

Latest EC has shifted it a long way east and northeast.

Does this include much rain?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

When did the amber warning get upgraded to move it further NE into our region? The met office used to issue times of their warnings and updates but I can't find the time.

Probably around 6pm, they had issued an earlier amber warning for N.Ireland about 1hr earlier.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Within Amber warning now also blimey 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×