Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

3 minutes ago, Southender said:

God bless Mother Thames. She has really delivered on this one. Intensified the band massively as it crossed the water. Must be official Blizzard conditions right now.

Its been very impressive this morning and still going.

Main road is now white , should be some good mini drifts round here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3cats said:

Still going strong on this side of the borough...

That's crazy. Charlwood, Horley, Reigate and Redhill all now stopped. It' so localised.

10 minutes ago, Southender said:

Hammering down here Steve. With the wind it really is a sight

Same here on sheppey un:yahoo:believable roads closed due to 5ft driffs 

• Like 1

It’s not meh it’s 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

its 🤬 falling  in every direction around us

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Im just watching radar to see what happens behind the front

some echoes appearing now so hold station till 1030

Are you on a warship?

• Like 1

Sittingbourne - Been snowing for an hour in Sittingbourne, yet the radar shows it should have all cleared about 20 mins ago?? Sky is grey and looks full of snow!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Right now i have -5.2 wth a easterly wind gusting to nearly 50mph ( dont know for sure what the windchill is but have just walked dog my jaw is aching just a bit.

Moderate snow going sideways not even sure its landing ? 

I think snow falling in Ramsgate is landing in Canterbury its that windy out there.

Been going well here now for over an hour. Has the front stalled or am i now picking up convection of the N.sea.?

Im wondering if the milder air high above us is interacting wth the -4 on the surfice and strengthning

Ramsgate/Manston

Edited by craigore

The area in red is what I’m looking at. It’s barely in the French radar yet but on the sat you can see it’s moving directly NE. There’s also bound to be convection kicking off in front of that area once it moves closer to the channel. And that’s what I believe is what’s being shown by the high res models for later.

B0C1BEDD-7FE3-4942-AED5-566D62ADFB93.jpeg

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, FlightlessWings said:

It looks white but with a green tint - could be a centimetre or two but snow is still falling, although lightly. Burford Spur is still white from yesterday I believe (it was when I drove past it at 4pm yesterday).

Thanks FW, I'm wondering if Epsom Downs will be snowier as further North? How would you access Burford Spur? Thanks again for being my Viewpoint-Cam!!x

All but stopped here. Still clueless but gather this is it for today and now even tomorrow with the storm looks like a fail. 

I’ve remembered that I don’t like wind and snow. It doesn’t look as nice when it’s not covering roofs and trees 

4 minutes ago, 3cats said:

Still going strong on this side of the borough...

I’ve got to go up to merstham on site visits shortly - I’ll take a look!

Not my picture but this is one of the roads around Canewdon, a few miles north of Southend. Many of the outlying villages in the area were cut off yesterday and overnight by snow drifts. Am very surprised we weren't in the amber warning area.

Screenshot_20180301-094440.png

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, Storme said:

That's crazy. Charlwood, Horley, Reigate and Redhill all now stopped. It' so localised.

Add Bramley to that list of localised nothingness😭

1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Im just watching radar to see what happens behind the front

some echoes appearing now so hold station till 1030

HIRLAM seems to think it will build behind and keep it going for the SE all day - we'll see.

• Like 2

Snowing lightly here after a heavier burst earlier, topping up the snow level nicely:)  Has the front been following the Hilram prediction? 

• Thanks 1

Southend / Leigh-on-Sea area getting hammered for the last hour. 

• Like 3

Met Office showing 90% chance of heavy snow for London between 10am and 2pm. Their short range ppn forecasts have been fairly accurate so far. Looking at the radar though, I can't see that coming to fruition, unless they are seeing some hidden potential?

Just now, weathergeek said:

Thanks FW, I'm wondering if Epsom Downs will be snowier as further North? How would you access Burford Spur? Thanks again for being my Viewpoint-Cam!!x

Burford Spur May be the area you went yesterday - you walk north of the view point and it is a big expense of green (or white hopefully). The view point is not looking great right now to be honest and snow steadily stopping. Not been our event really! 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, stormmanic said:

Not my picture but this is one of the roads around Canewdon, a few miles north of Southend. Many of the outlying villages in the area were cut off yesterday and overnight by snow drifts. Am very surprised we weren't in the amber warning area.

wow great pic!...Look at the depth and drifting.

Edited by FiftyShadesofSnow
  • Like 1

Looking at reports it seems that this set-up has been a bit pot luck depending on whether you got some of the higher precipitation rates when the upper front came over. For example here there is a good 2-3cms on the ground. 15 miles to the NE and there is barely a dusting.

2 minutes ago, stormmanic said:

Crazy, may take a drive

• Like 1

Still light fall around here, keeping things nicely topped up. Would like another heavier burst at some point before the day is out!

• Like 1

So lets get this right:

GFS was trash

APREGE got the snow depth right for the coast (zero, nil, ziltch)

HARLEM got the direction (eastward shift) and timing right-ish 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

wow great pic!

Will take some gritting.

• Like 1