Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Captain Shortwave

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

1 minute ago, Cableguy said:

Heavy Snow in West Byfleet Surrey

Yep Cobham is now getting a hefty shower !

Can anyone say what tomorrow & Friday should be like in Thurrock? My son’s school closed today and they are saying they aren’t expecting anymore bad weather tonight/tomorrow and will try and open in the morning. I know everything is uncertain, but what is the likelihood? Thanks

I'm guessing the traffic on the M25 around Junction 10 and 11 probably isn't great at the moment quite a good looking shower train passing through!

Just checking in. Nothing to report in Charlwood. Blue skies and sun all day. Deeply bitter wind chill. Have defrosted the chickens drinking water 3 times then gave up and just took them out fresh. Looks like we are out of any Amber zones and may scrape by with a cm or 2 by tomorrow and Friday. 

Looking like the radar is going to give the Surrey Hills a slight dusting....but then look at the predicted track and it seems to bounce back to the north west. just at the wrong point...d’oh

Although beginning to snow here lightly now....

3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I only wanted to see a couple of inches on the ground, but it seems this area has a permanent snow shield around it 😂

I know these people bragging about their 9” is a bit tiresome ;)

• Like 1

I just went out shopping, the wind is drifting the snow. Very large icicles were seen too, a very unusual sight, especially for late February! The car thermometer showed -2C, but it felt so much colder in the strengthening wind. Light snow flurries are beginning as I type this.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kold weather said:

I'm guessing the traffic on the M25 around Junction 10 and 11 probably isn't great at the moment quite a good looking shower train passing through!

Drove into that from Kent stretch - didn’t look all that bad but literally went dark as I got to J10 and chucked it down with medium ( but intense) flakage

Traffic wasn’t too bad - but I dunno what it’s like now tho

It’s got so dark with clouds here in just a few minutes in rye

This is brilliant.. Very gusty winds bringing in persistent showers :)

• Like 1

Meto regional update not out yet, normally by now I think, maybe they are waiting on a few more models to update

I say we will get a better idea about tomorrows low, shortly as  MET Office will have to update warnings pretty soon for at least Wales/Somerset/Gloucester. reckon it might be red warning as all models have them under heavy snow for at least 12 hours with driving winds, also all models  now agree any precipitation on Thursday will all be snow just differences with our far north  and east it gets.

Moisture off the North Sea has really ramped up big time, hence the snow streamers ❄❄❄
-2.7C, with the windchill it feels like -7C ❄  :cold::cold:
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, pages said:

I say we will get a better idea about tomorrows low, shortly as  MET Office will have to update warnings pretty soon for at least Wales/Somerset/Gloucester. reckon it might be red warning as all models have them under heavy snow for at least 12 hours with driving winds, also all models  now agree any precipitation on Thursday will all be snow just differences with our far north  and east it gets.

My gut is the warnings look about right, maybe a slight expansion eastwards but broadly look ok thus. Of course if the hirlam starts to look right then all bets are off!

PS, yep red is likely for those areas.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Nice banding up the thames ( further east SE of Clacton )

allignment is SE london / NW kent - lets hope it holds together

-2.2c at home already with an official ice day

Models are stalling the snow for Friday more & more

UKMO 12z has the SE with the -6c line still over us sat so we have deffo gained another say

We could still see this upgrading with more snow if the winds stay light - as minimal mixing !

• Like 6

Hello from the North guys! :D

HIRLAM has shifted everything a bit further east for tomorrow... Interesting times ahead for all of us. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, pages said:

who knows what is going to happen  tomorrow/Friday/Saturday. all 4 models out so far this afternoon (GFS, ICON, ARPEGE, GEM) have placement of low, angle of approach and even strength quite different by as early as midnight tonight. GEM wants to bury us tomorrow then has  Friday as snow to freezing rain to rain. ARPEGE wants to give us nice amount tomorrow then warm up Friday. GFS and ICON have most of the snow over West country with only light showers for West of region tomorrow but staying cold to at least Saturday.

Edit that the GEM then brings the cold back in before Friday night/Saturday  when more snow arrives lets hope the GEM is correct.

hopefully tonight's runs give more clear picture. 

Yes lets hope the GEM is on the money, very snowy run to Saturday and its been consistently showing this too so rock solid stuff from the Canadian model. 

another heavy shower - whiteout conditions!:yahoo:

• Like 1

Clumps of snow showers continuing to push SW across Suffolk and Essex and on towards G London area. 

• Like 1

a rare flake has been spotted in Farnham

• Like 1