Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
19 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Lovely batch  of showers bubbling up - regarding to where they land I learnt some really interesting last night from @Steve Murr  who offered some 700p " Vent  " wind charts and last night forecasted that nothing would head more SSW instead of SW until  around 09:00am Tuesday, that was actually what happened and slightly against the Met office forecast as it was last night.

So thanks for that - and can anybody far wiser than me review the latest 700p profile ( steering winds I  think they might also be called ) for tonight and  Wednesday Early am that will give a pretty good idea on where the delights bubbling up now will land I think.

Hi TSNWK,

Here is the GFS 700 hpa chart, for later on tonight. Similar locations, to last night, perhaps a tad further west.

GFSOPEU12_12_6.png

Regards,

Tom :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Peak looks to be around 1am - As Tom said, similar areas to last night though showers do look likely to move further inland 

1am.thumb.png.c23d0854fafca376cbad127bbf87a9fa.png

After that it dies down, though perhaps a chance of things picking up a bit for the school run

7am.thumb.png.550377a930272543cf9a17e4d1e1d28c.png

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Thank you! if I'm reading the top one correct then some showers ( the ones nearer the  Suffolk coast  might well make a cheeky right around Ipswich and drift slowly down towards  NW Kent with the other ones for you in  Ashford.... :)

Yep if all goes to plan.

Never seen ice form so quickly! Sun was so strong this PM and drip, drip, drip. Sun went down and working 5 minutes icicles everywhere!

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Had hardly any snow after 10am in Deal, just now starting to see a build up of showers coming in from the channel. Had a heavy fall of tiny polystyrene, now clearing. Radar looks good for East Kent folk.

Wooooohoooo!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Where dripping has occurred, icicles have now formed.

• Like 2

Just going sledging-

Convergence Suggests an east kent streamer & again a mid / NW kent / SE Essex streamer -

Sharp cut offs - same as my forecast last night- Dartford probably most western point alligned NE > SW

Accums 3-10CM maybe more in the sweet spots Evening early into the night

As the winds swing ESE so the PPN may well move west again- However London is the cut off -

4565189D-A8A7-4396-81B4-20B0B15ABBD4.thumb.png.7adcb707b0e182e2496948070aafe280.pngD1BE44F9-A271-4B3C-BC44-E2DF7D2E53BD.thumb.png.f025ecb2b2529814c1ecea0babe49319.png

During the day tomorrow It may well dry up setting up deep cold tomorrow night maybe -12/-13c as a local minimal!!

Thurs a few flurries & then the probable final event Friday

The melt at this stage sets in Saturday - but could be postponed - but unlikely now -

Currently -3c

975FE304-EECF-477E-BD43-96B352252904.thumb.jpeg.6fee5512f69426c09ce62c386d442205.jpeg

S

Edited by Steve Murr
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Southender said:

Come to Papa

1.png

They’re following slightly more SSW than that track by the look of it 

if I had to guess I’d say that big blob will land between sheerness and whitstable 

Edited by c00ps
  • Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, c00ps said:

They’re following slightly more SSW than that track by the look of it 

Yeah give or take. Think they will swing slightly more SW as they get towards land going by this

nmm_uk1-35-5-0_avu4.png

Posted

Thanks everyone for your replies... I actually learnt something last night and just now in regard to steering winds...

looks like a bit more fun... and dear steering wind.. just a gentle nudge of 10 miles to the west please to put Orpington on the right side of the line :)

have fun people 

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Southender said:

Yeah give or take. Think they will swing slightly more SW as they get towards land going by this

nmm_uk1-35-5-0_avu4.png

Be nice that’d be a direct hit for me lol 

Posted
3 hours ago, warrenb said:

Hilarious on the temps, sun comes out up to -0.5C, sun goes behind a cloud and it drops immediately to -1.7c.

That is with a VP2 with FARRS by the way, so is accurate to air temp.

I use the old school thing.. I icicles in shade.. Non drip.. Minus  something.... Icicles in sun.. Melting.. Although a bit more problematic.. You can.. any time of year say it is responsible...longer the Icicle the the more it's happened...crude but true.. Snowing again here as we speak.. Frozen again.. What's melted.. Is lethal...be very care full on serious note :cold: to many brandys I'm sorry.. That's the trouble with St Bernard's.. :-) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy all weather but LOVE snow and thunderstorms

What a amazing day here on sheppey blizzards this morning for about 3 hours we had about 4 half inches here been sledging twice with the kids and as you can see by these photos what a difference a couple of hours makes and hopefully more to come tonight maybe being greedy but again didn't expect this nice to see all the photos. :cold:

IMG_20180227_092848.jpg

IMG_20180227_144539.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Steve Murr said:

Good luck everyone

For Kent this is comparable to 1991, sadly the sharp cut off line on the M25 west will mean for all points west more of a non event for some

@Southender what you sending me tonight?

Another couple of inches hopefully darling  :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Good luck everyone

For Kent this is comparable to 1991, sadly the sharp cut off line on the M25 west will mean for all points west more of a non event for some

What’s your feeling on Medway tonight Steve? Give us a Murrstimate!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Good luck everyone

West of the M25 the new north of the M4.. I’m bang on junction 4.... the tension..

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

Southend streamer moving SW

A0B8EA39-1C8F-4528-8D35-FD7671ECC900.thumb.png.eaf080c9565813dd21ee93e5c6e96f3a.png

Nothing special thus far light/mod. Got my eyes on the beast 20 miles off Frinton...

• Like 1