Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

The Big T has arrived here, 10 miles north of worthing. All our snow will be gone by the morning unless the snow front of today stalls and then marches south. Unlikely lol but fronts have done that in the past.

Posted
11 minutes ago, John Michael How said:

I was surprised by the lack of snow in Surrey! 

Parts of Surrey suffer from the 'snow dome effect'.  Fortunately for me in the west of the county, I don't suffer from this as much!  Even though I'm a mere 6 miles from Guildford!

Edited by Don
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

I got 3cms from this afternoon's event,that was it,only managed around 2cms during the week,frustrated doesn't come close,places up the road getting 6 inches plus

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

Some heavy ppn in Holmbury St Mary for a short time in the last hour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Cold.

No thawing here atm. 

Just a quick question if I may. How do I upload pictures from a picture taken on an iPhone. It won’t let me do it, and I keep getting a error message. Thanks

Posted

I hear a drip not continuous 0.1C it was 0.3C for a short time warmest it’s been all day annoyingly missed out on an ice day. It’s been a wonderful week, it makes you even more hungry for more. And it’s quite painful to face, something like this may not happen in a very long time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

But was the temp 0.1c after midnight

Posted
4 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Still a tad below zero here but slowly ice is starting to slide on my security cameras, so the show is over, bring on spring and some bloody warmth :)

I think gravity does that! Looking at models I can’t see much or any sign of mild weather let alone warmth.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Radar watching may as well last hoorah.. Everything is good for snow unsure about aloft.

142A9491-D62F-4D44-AADC-3D3E2D4D555B.thumb.png.6baacea31145fb02986c016f6e4d597e.png

My weather station is predicting rain, I think you are being optimisic?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

I hear a drip not continuous 0.1C it was 0.3C for a short time warmest it’s been all day annoyingly missed out on an ice day. It’s been a wonderful week, it makes you even more hungry for more. And it’s quite painful to face, something like this may not happen in a very long time.

going to be more regular in our winters from now on:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!

04:19hrs Just got up for the loo and it' heavy fog here in Charlwood. 

Here comes the thaw!

Posted

Temperature 0C at 5am. Undoubtedly above freezing now with dampness appearing at the edges of the snow. Still a full cover but not for long. This has been a tremendous period and I am delighted to have shared it with my fellow weather geeks. Our obsession with cold and snow really is quite odd. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Morning, that classic fog this morning you get when there’s a thaw starting that I always remember at the end of cold and snowy spells in the past

Best get down the park with the 6 year old and sledge sharpish, no school snow days in the week, so only proper opportunity, as it’s drip, drip, drip already. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Morning - temp currently 0.6c, DP 0c and misty.

Well yesterday was certainly one to remember! Woke to light freezing rain which coated our bit of snow in ice. Defrosted the car before work/school run and set off but had to pull over 2 minutes into the journey to de-ice again as what was falling was coating the windscreen again.

The drive down was a bit slippery but everyone was being sensible and so no issues really. Dropped my son off and got to work safely!

About lunchtime it started snowing lightly and quickly ramped up to give a light covering. Because Folkestone is a town you can’t leave without getting up a hill we always have to consider if those living outside town need to go when snow sets in (one year the company refused to let people leave and they had 6–8 hour journeys!).

So gradually lost people as it got thicker and by 2:30 felt I needed to get my son and go too as my journey, albeit only 3 miles, is all uphill. Roads were snow covered but not terrible, and although there were a few wheel spin moments and then someone lost their nerve on one of the steeper hills it was ok. That part of the journey then involved going up the steepest hill in first gear! 

Once home we had a lovely walk (pics to follow).

So although we missed out on the best of the snow earlier in the week, had snow falling every day from Monday and an ice day Monday to Friday! With a real “ice day” thanks to the freezing rain yesterday.

Edited by lottiekent
  • Like 7

Posted
7 hours ago, LeighD said:

No thawing here atm. 

Just a quick question if I may. How do I upload pictures from a picture taken on an iPhone. It won’t let me do it, and I keep getting a error message. Thanks

Hi, I find if I edit each one I want to post by just taking a teeny bit off them and then post that version it works ok. Weird but seems to work!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
1 minute ago, lottiekent said:

Hi, I find if I edit each one I want to post by just taking a teeny bit off them and then post that version it works ok. Weird but seems to work!

I have found if you screenshot your photo and use that one it’s fine ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Morning, I had a better nights sleep last night not continuously waking up checking the weather! 

Its been a great week, frustrating at times with no snow until Thursday, we may only then have had about 8cm but it still looks lovely! 

And what a week learning from all you clever people, I am trying so hard to learn but think radar and temp watches are my limit! 

I’m off out for a drive this morning as I’ve not been out in it all week.

nondripping yet although the temps are 

temp 0.9 

dp 0.4 

not saying fair well as I hope to stick around a bit!  Not totally convinced the cold weather won’t be back this month! (A feeling rather than science!)

have a good day x 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Morning all,

Well, certainly think it was a good decision, to stay with my wife overnight, at her place of work, so she could be here for 6.45 and it's certainly paid dividends. Think she would've struggled to get a cab in, cab drivers are very reluctant to drive, up our Close we're both prepared to stay another night, as Colette has a 6.45, start tomorrow morning.

Spoke to my eldest sister, Luisa, yesterday morning, while she was at the Selsdon Park Hotel, in Surrey. Poor Luisa and her husband, suffered a boiler breakdown, last weekend and can't get it fixed, for another week or so. Couldn't have happened, at a worse time. But fortunately, Luisa had a 2 day voucher, from her former work colleagues, at the Sloane hospital, in Beckenham. Luisa, retired a few months ago, from her job as a, Radiography secretary. She's 70 and has decided to go back to work, as Bank staff, because she's very bored, at home.

So there you go, my sister, gets to spend, 2 days at top notch hotel. Pfft, she doesn't know she's alive!! Meanwhile her Sister-in-law, gets a short weekend break, in a Residential Care Home, in Chislehurst!! Always the skinflint me but I really know how to treat a girl!! :D C'mon, it is Chislehurst, though!! Only the best places me. I know how to push, the boat out!!:)

Poor Colette, initially tried to sleep on cushions but they kept coming apart and eventually succumbed, and had to go and find a single mattress, from another spare room, bless her. I had the single bed, btw but it wasn't big enough, for both of us. I would have given it to Colette but after my CVA, she insisted on me having it, gallant to the last, me!! :)  BUPA, had obviously, mislaid my payment, of bedroom supplement!!

Our room, was "en suite" but their idea of  "en suite", was to supply me with half a dozen, cardboard urinal bottles. Cheapskates, BUPA Sorry, TMI there. Bit of poetic license and jesting there!! The cardboard bottles, are a legacy of my leaving hospital, after my CVA. Colette bought me a job lot, back in Feb.2016, as I wasn't able, to get to the toilet, at night. Tried to flog them on Ebay but to no avail, excuse me, they weren't used!! :nonono:My wife was on hand to help me, bless her, the lady must love me:give_rose:We literally, p....d, ourselves, laughing.:laugh:

Colette locked our bedroom door and warned me not to be worried, if I heard, some of the resident's prowling up and down the corridors', in the middle of night!!:shok: They are prone to do this!!

Eventually, I dropped off to sleep. With thoughts of the deep, crisp and even, snow cover, outside, I drifted off. Probably, after the effects of my CVA, my mind/brain, started playing tricks, on me. I started having bad dreams and recalling, Jack Nicholson, snow bound, in The Shining!!:shok: During the night, I heard some commotion, outside our door. It was one of the residents and I'm sure I heard them scream, " Here's Johnny"!!:shok:

Anyway we had a reasonable night but I'm sure Colette, can't wait to get home, once her shift, finishes, at 7 pm, then she's back in again, at 6.45, in the morning.

If you're looking to book a short weekend break, for a loved one, for Mothering Sunday, and don't mind roughing it, for a couple of nights. I can thoroughly recommend, BUPAs, " Rustic weekend experience", all expenses paid, actually I havn't had to pay, anything!!:nonono:

BUPA, are still taking bookings, at a Residential Care Home, near you, don't miss out. You won't find this offer on TRIVAGO.com :nonono:

Anyway, looking forward to my ham, egg and chips, at lunchtime and perhaps, a sing song, round the "Joanna", with the old girls, in the afternoon.

Butlins, Center Parcs and Travelodge, eat your heart out!! :nonono:

I hope, you all enjoy, your day.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

I have to say this cold spell really hasn’t dissapointed. 

We’ve had snow here every single day since Monday, maximum depth was 32c& I managed to see drifts over 2-3 foot deep which quite frankly was incredible! 

The thaw is starting now but I think that’s okay, we’ve had a good run! 

28B54927-A874-4934-A3B2-627E242D9F81.thumb.png.fd5b3ea9ef1f40998b6e9039d585ce8e.png

756CA57C-C7CD-40CF-8094-C40854F1A710.thumb.png.3cf99d25dfbc01b2d5f48202a13b1af7.png

• Like 7