Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted

Thanks everyone. What a week! Been amazing. You lot are awesome! I topped out at 25cm with another few today, 5 days in a row of snow and ice days!! See you next winter (unless next Sunday’s forecast for a SE blizzard comes true......) ❄️❄️❄️

• Like 2

Posted

Just back from a session on the Kentish alps. The North Downs have a Bruegel feel to them at the moment - low cloud, grey, misty, gentle fine snow falling. Apologies about the low-res nature of the pic.

Febsnow-5.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

I've been lurking for a week or so but just want to say thanks to everyone for a fun few days! Kind of sad to see the beast departing but quite looking forward to seeing it warm up a little (although not too much as I hate hot weather - apart from when it storms....!)

Posted

Wait till Monday be no one on here.has been great to watch the snow coming down and a few surprises that popped up,slow start to this beast but it once it go going it hasbeen awesome.

now time to look forward to the spring sun on our backs and looking forward to those long summer days.

bern a great experience with you guys and girls and look forward to the next beast.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Been snowing well since 2pm here in SE London.

A mixture of big goose flakes and fine powdery snow,this followed a bout of freezing drizzle that coated surfaces in ice.Lethal underfoot and on some local roads.

The snow has dumped another inch today making a total for the week of 4 inches here.

Double the total of the SE coast where I hang my hat.

Posted

Looking at the models and trends, plus SSW, I’m fairly confident of more snow later in the month, although nothing like this spell of weather. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Coming down really nicely now with this last little blob.. Went out with my boy and built a snowblob.. I also got a picture of a snow covered spider web. Screenshot_20180302-170945.thumb.png.bc051d7180a3ad41f612d7e658236913.pngScreenshot_20180302-171031.thumb.png.f936ef294493669a04700b118d16905e.png

• Like 3

Posted

What an amazing week of near record cold, lots of snow, my first freezing rain event in the UK ever plus lots of great banter, knowledge and a mix of weather enthusiasts and people just wanting to find out where it's going to snow in this place. See you for hopefully some amazing storms in the summer or maybe record heat... or maybe before then :)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

20180302_171533.thumb.jpg.c023efbc0e9c2c37d741410534ea0783.jpg20180302_165154.thumb.jpg.7c2a1d64444bb4dad2b493b6062289f6.jpg

Nice little bonus session of sledging 

Ramsgate

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers
1 minute ago, seb said:

What an amazing week of near record cold, lots of snow, my first freezing rain event in the UK ever plus lots of great banter, knowledge and a mix of weather enthusiasts and people just wanting to find out where it's going to snow in this place. See you for hopefully some amazing storms in the summer or maybe record heat... or maybe before then :)

How I’m so looking forward to summer heat

• Like 2

Posted

Great times on this thread over the week many ups and downs, Now we are reaching our final destination the ‘Thaw’ I am hoping sooner rather than later tbh as I got a important football fixture to attend tomorrow in derby. Comeon Fulham ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
5 minutes ago, SnowBorder said:

Looking at the models and trends, plus SSW, I’m fairly confident of more snow later in the month, although nothing like this spell of weather. 

Yep, it's all on the table, starting in a few days.

Posted

Yep was a good spell of wintry weather

Would place it about 5th in notable spells of the last 45 years (My Age)

But its got to be up there with the best for how late in the season it was. To have subzero temps for 4 days running (Even now it is still -1c) is something else

The sea has frozen over 4 times in those 45 years in 1987, 1991 and 2010 which again goes to show what a notable spell this was.

The freezing rain episode is only the 2nd in 45 years as well following 2010 with that as well.

The only downside was the lack of Thundersnow and strong convection from streamers but overall if added up over the 4 snow episodes would say around 30cm (1 foot) but max depth was achieved on Wednesday morning with 17cm. Tuesday had 7cm, Thursday had 2cm and today another 4cm.

See you all next year because I hope the models have the snow risk wrong for late next weekend and Spring can finally be sprung

• Like 7

Posted
5 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Yep was a good spell of wintry weather

Would place it about 5th in notable spells of the last 45 years (My Age)

But its got to be up there with the best for how late in the season it was. To have subzero temps for 4 days running (Even now it is still -1c) is something else

The sea has frozen over 4 times in those 45 years in 1987, 1991 and 2010 which again goes to show what a notable spell this was.

The freezing rain episode is only the 2nd in 45 years as well following 2010 with that as well.

The only downside was the lack of Thundersnow and strong convection from streamers but overall if added up over the 4 snow episodes would say around 30cm (1 foot) but max depth was achieved on Wednesday morning with 17cm. Tuesday had 7cm, Thursday had 2cm and today another 4cm.

See you all next year because I hope the models have the snow risk wrong for late next weekend and Spring can finally be sprung

I remember 1956 ... as a young child, looking at a very frosty pavement with snowflakes frozen to it, and being amazed at white stuff that began to fall.  I was hooked.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine
typo

Posted

I have just checked the radar and its still coming lol. Agree @Paul Sherman now time for sprind warmth and a smile on commuters faces. Hot sunny day sultry in the evening with a beer. But i like the comment of we are closer to the next round

• Like 1

Posted

Well the snow has started again in central lots of small flakes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

Moving this great spell of weather a side !! I hope we have a summer we all talk about for years!! 

Posted
1 minute ago, Jimmyh said:

I have just checked the radar and its still coming lol. Agree @Paul Sherman now time for sprind warmth and a smile on commuters faces. Hot sunny day sultry in the evening with a beer. But i like the comment of we are closer to the next round

Yh that Kent band is making inroads for Central London, your Beast is not done yet but drying up in the Estuary. :)

IMG_4337.thumb.JPG.51ee3324b848eaa274c5db402cf3fd62.JPGI GUESS NOW ITS TIME FOR ME TO SAY GOODBYE...................

got a picture of you beside me

And your snowflake marks still on my roof top..........,.,.,...

Got a head of filled dreams ......,.

Got to leave got to leave it all behind now............

what ever I dreamt what ever I saw I really enjoyed it ........,......

just want you back i want you back next winter for good..,..,..

I GUESS NOW iIT IS TIME TO SAY GOODBYE

BYE BEASTIE

BYE GFS ECM 12z and GEM

BYE SSW.......make sure you play the game next winter. 

A big thank you to all of you in this forum it was a pleasure to see all the lovely posts.  Without your input it would not have been the same.

if any of you do come to my area Walthamstow let me know. 

Love you all ??????

❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️❄️️

End of another chapter

I GUESS NOW IT IS TIME TO SAY BYE xxx

• Like 4

Posted

Light fading here, I expect this snow to keep well into tomorrow. Spare a thought for those hard-pressed Local Authority Highways Emergency Teams (gritters), many of whom will have been on 72 - 96hr shifts by Saturday. I hope they're in line for some huge bonuses :friends:

Posted

Having the heaviest snow of today in Maidstone. 15 mins of this and it'll be twice as much as already fallen with that fine stuff. The last hurrah? Just getting dark so won't be able to see it soon with no street lights.