Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
2 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

See you next weekend for the potential SE Blizzard:rofl:

Yes please,can I order that,for everyone though,and the same amount for all,say 3ft and 25ft snow drifts,if I pay more,can I have express delivery,not the paper though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!
22 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yeah it was a 3-4 hour batch - depending on location

Mid kent done by 530-6

London 630-7 

North London/ home counties -730 

all approximations

Thanks Steve and all for the great updates and to all for the camaraderie x

Posted

snowing really heavily now in Coulsdon and probably now have the heaviest snow fall of the whole period.

Posted

Well whilst it has been a little disappointing for me personally vs what some others have seen this week, this definitely goes down as one of those big events that will be talked about in years to come. To put it into context:

Jan/March 2013

Feb 2012 (pretty localised)

December 2010

Jan 2010

February 2009

That's the sort of company this spell goes in with in "recent" years. An unprecedented 50cms of snow falling in a single day in South Wales, probably the biggest number of road and rail closures I can ever recall (beating even December 2010). Glasgow airport earlier commenting that it's the most snow they've seen in their history. Whilst we only managed an inch or two really here in Greenwich, to have seen the rate of snowfall we saw in Central London, to see the pictures from elsewhere around the region and beyond, not to mention the number of ice days we have recorded, anyone who claims that this has not been an historic spell of winter weather is simply being IMBY. -16c 850mb temperatures from the east is something that it could be a long time before we see again (bearing in mind the last time we saw these before that was 1991)

The more encouraging thing about all of this for all of us should be that with the sun going into a deep slumber again, this is just the start of another run of cold winters to come. If we think about what happened in Feb 09, and what followed through the years until 2013, we should all be just a little bit excited about what still lays ahead - I would be fairly confident in saying that at least 2 of the next 4 winters will feature significant cold spells, and I would punt at saying 3 out of 4 to be honest.

I also hope that this, in combination with March 2013, finally puts to bed the myth on these forums that we can't get decent cold once we get beyond mid-February. In fact, I would suggest that temperature wise we have benefited from catching the North Sea at it's coldest point.

The last hurrah of the cold spell is still unfolding outside the window as I speak, and whilst there is that personal disappointment, this will certainly be a spell that's referred to 50 years from now

• Like 6

Posted

What a surprise finish to the beast with the teeth. Finished early no trains through bexleyheath and no flights out of city airport. 

Will it go down as a memorable one. Yes bit not on scale of 87 or 91 as i was living on a hill in purley croydon. Was surprised by the strength of the wimd last night and last couple of days.someone on the mod thread posted insane charts for 18th but as its my birthday and mothers day next week i would rwally like a walk in the park after gbk. 313 pages in under a week erm..... we love our snow 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Amazingly,its snowing again

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Looking at NW Radar, we've got what, an hour of snow left in SW London the way it's moving and then that's all folks?!

Coming down quite heavy now though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Wife and I, arrived at her work, Care Home in Elmstead Lane, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border, just before 3. Main road from  Lee to Chislehurst, not too bad, side roads looked lethal though. Steady snow falling, in Elmstead Lane, from when we arrived, started to peter out a bit, about 4. As stated above, radar returns show, southern edge of band, fragmenting now.

Would just like to thank, Great Plum, for his advice earlier, it prompted myself and Colette, to leave earlier, as I sensed the weather would start to close in, by 3. Although snow was quite heavy at times, it hasn't added much to the cover, here. Would also like to thank Hotspur61, for his warning about underfoot conditions, fortunately, cab  journey, was door to door but thanks, anyway.

We brought quite a few things with us and told the Care Home manageress, Colette would like to leave this old f..t, here but there's no way I could afford BUPAs, £1500 a week charge, for a room! Bromley Social Services, will have to take up the cost! :D Manageress has now press-ganged Colette, into helping out! Have told manageress, I want my own Care Plan, drawn up, and expect a bed bath, in the morning. :D

So nice to have been able to bring my Laptop, with me. Will be able to keep staff up to date, for their journeys home, when their shifts, finish at 7 pm. Colette can relax now she's on site, for tom. mornings', 7 am start Would expect to return home, tomorrow night, once expected slight thaw, kicks in. But we're prepared to stay another night, if the thaw is delayed and road conditions, still remain icy. Colette has a 7 am start, on Sunday morning too.

Any members looking for a good, reputable Care Home, to place an elderly relative, who live in the area, near Elmstead Lane, could do far worse, than this one. The staff are brilliant, including my wife!! :D My father, lived here, for 13 years, until he died in October, last year, aged 95. So that's a recommendation, in itself. And no I'm not on commission!! :D

Hope you all enjoy the rest of your evening and a bit more, radar watching!!

Regards,

Tom.:hi: 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

Just walked to and from The Millhouse in Salfords with my 12 yr old son.  Snowball fights, drinks and chips at the pub....and then a very cold and snowy walk home.......amazing and 2 happy boys.  Warming up now at home with a vino and pointless.  Life is good today

BFTP

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter. Hot hot summers

Great spell of weather!! One we will all remember and can’t wait for the next one on here with all you guys !!! Thanks .... next up spring time.. please I need it now my business is suffering..... joys of being in the air conditioning trade 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Just walked to and from The Millhouse in Salfords with my 12 yr old son.  Snowball fights, drinks and chips at the pub....and then a very cold and snowy walk home.......amazing and 2 happy boys.  Warming up now at home with a vino and pointless.  Life is good today

BFTP

Doesn't take much does it, BFTP? Simple pleasures. Great stuff. 

• Like 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, throwoff said:

An ok winter saved at the last gasp by the Beasterly!

Signature updated, it shall be some time before it changes again!

Think it is about time for me to begin my great annual exodus, I shall return around October folks. Until then, farewell and enjoy the weather.

No.. your ultimately will keep em peeled.. Scout about the charts.. Forums.. And if there is an inkling of a flake.. Drop back to tell us your valued opinion...u won't be able to help it :-) 

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
25 minutes ago, FiftyShadesofSnow said:

See you next weekend for the potential SE Blizzard:rofl:

Yes, one to keep an eye on in case, in case... the predicted nippy northerly undercuts the low over the SE as it moves eastwards.

Posted

Before everyone hibernates for the season give it a few more days to see what transpires in the models.

Still a chance of something popping up in just over a week, unless that is you’re all bored of snow! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot

For anyone expecting the last pass of that band, for me here it was probably the heaviest it had been - really strong finish just before it petered out.  Now to find somewhere for a curry. 

• Like 1