Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Look south, still developing nicely 

Still not convinced. All models I’ve seen showing it developing where it is now before moving north, so more a north London northwards event.

Of course I hope it doesn’t play out like that though, with us all seeing one last snowfall before the drip drip starts tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunder ~ both together would be great !

Rain in whitstable paths are so dangerous. I fell over twice much to my daughters amusement ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

I wonder how I'll look in the pub tonight wearing a hat, hi viz jacket, Jeans and Golf Shoes.

...yep golf shoes with spikes, great for snow and Ice, but inside on hard floors I make a clip clopping sound like a fox.

Posted
6 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Think you’re right, sadly. Anything developing to the S is likely to be freezing rain, not snow, unless colder uppers can move back down again. That is expected, so we will see. 

I think uppers are predicted to drop a little, so we should be ok. I just think the bulk will develop to our north, leaving us with patchy stuff 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

It’s certainly cold enough for snow, -1C here with a fairly strong ENE’ly wind, though nothing like last night which was a bit mad.

• Like 1

Posted

A guy in my office has so far nailed the forecast over this whole period almost giving an exact to the hour forecast a few days before it happens with the snow levels he predicted also being much closer than the meto or bbc 

At the end of last week he warned us all that friday (being today) will potentially be the heaviest snow of this period for kent at least and anybody going into work is unlikely to get home unless walking though even this wont be great as blizzards likely with very low visibility.

he said the morning will bring freezing rain as slightly warmer temps but that by the afternnon the temps will drop and we will have all out snow coming down fast and heavy 

He still backs this and our whole office trust this guy over any other wether forecast ive seen.

also the last time we had heavy snow in kent a few years agai his forecasting was spot on then 

so far the freezing rain bit seems right and met o for north kent now looks like snow due in next few hours and then lasts till around midnight , 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!
5 minutes ago, terryall said:

I have to drive from South East London to Deal and back today leaving around 11am and heading home at 3pm. Anybody know what the A2 and M20 are like at the moment.

Will this be disruptive snow this afternoon? 

Many thnks,

terry

Google maps is showing the M2 south is closed after Rochester. I would definitely check online for what roads are like.

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp

Capture.thumb.PNG.97b9e399b2ada4bee40f20b16db4496d.PNG

Posted

KCC update: 

Rain is now falling widely in Kent on to roads with sub zero temperatures. Despite @GrittingKent completing all primaries by about 07:30 ice is forming on many routes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 minute ago, CK1981 said:

I think uppers are predicted to drop a little, so we should be ok. I just think the bulk will develop to our north, leaving us with patchy stuff 

That’d be a shame, it’d be nice to see more snow today before the milder air moves in. By more snow, I mean 10cm lol

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mark said:

Google maps is showing the M2 south is closed after Rochester. I would definitely check online for what roads are like.

http://www.theaa.com/traffic-news/index.jsp

Capture.thumb.PNG.97b9e399b2ada4bee40f20b16db4496d.PNG

I'm not sure about the major roads but I've heard a lot of local Facebook chat about the back roads around Deal being lethal and at least two minor crashes.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I think its already starting to reform, take a look at S.Surrey for example. Also for those north of me, its currently snowing here. 

Worth noting that we had settled snow back in December when many others didn't have any snow, so we maybe locally colder than others.

Moderate snow now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Hi Tom, 

i would say that there is ‘some’ snow forecast this afternoon, maybe an inch or two after the upper air temp comes down a bit but it’s likely to stay below freezing nearly all day so limited thawing (potential for freezing rain). Tomorrow looks like a thaw will set in though.

Hi Great Plum, 

Really appreciate, your comments. Colette and I have decided to stay at the Home tonight, and return home tomorrow, after her shift, finishes at 7 pm, with the prospect of a thaw, under way by then. Colette, just phoned her manager, who was only too pleased, to accommodate us. At least, my wife is really making an effort to get to work, obviously her job, of looking after the elderly and infirmed, is vitally important. And BUPA, won't pay their staff, if they don't get in!! :nonono:  Some of the staff, have to get in from Dartford, Gravesend and Orpington ( which is not too far away but may have a bit more snow, than Chislehurst. )

Really hope Colette, doesn't leave me there, as I seriously don't have £1,500 a week, to pay for a room!:nonono::D

Regards,

Tom :hi:

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, CK1981 said:

I’m not very optimistic about any significant snow in our region today.

Most models show heavier snow developing to our north, with things remaining patchy here, so unless the wind drops, it’ll just keep blowing around.

There are then indications of slightly milder air moving north, which ties in with the latest Met Office thoughts of a thaw setting in by dawn tomorrow.

This cold snap was crap for me to start, but we ended up with a surprise snowfall, so I’m happy about that.

On to Spring now ?

Yea I can see what you mean...this situation is how..  even in the past..it all broke down.. Very quick too. Sometimes.. I've seen near on twelve inches of snow dissappear in nearly as many hours (even back in the old cold days) just the drifts left and they were feet deep.. Ide rather the low shot east and fast even if we got diddly.. Kept us in the cold air. But one thought..the people who got nothing have nothing to lose.. Quite sad ? to see a loverly snow covered landscape rapidly melt...to some.. Others it's a God send...made the week different though.. A Little change is good as a rest they say :hi: 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )
  • Location: near Charing ( Mid Kent between Ashford & Maidstone )

Freezing rain and now Ice pellets. Temp -3.1c. Everything cased in ice and roads, paths etc. are lethal. A20 just up from here is closed between Charing and Lenham due to blown snow across the road and drifting. Be careful out there !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Temperatures dropping here in Farnham

Temp now -1.7

dp -3.6 

Posted

my poor dog went out for a wee and skidded across my patio going down to the garden and then again coming back, bless her , just looks wet but its a sheet of ice where i cleared the snow from it yesterday

Posted
Just now, Surrey said:

Met office "couple of cms" BBC 1-5cm 

The bet is on 

Met office odds 2/10

BBC odds 1/100

I see a post above with snow developing over France. I hope that has our name on it for later ?

• Like 1

Posted
On 27/02/2018 at 06:06, Craig Smith said:

It's great to see some areas get a good snowfall overnight but for the majority of us this is turning into a major disappointment

For me

• I thought they were supposed to be dream synoptics, I just can't see how they were
  • I thought it was supposed to be windy, it certainly isn't here
  • I thought it was supposed to be unusually cold, it isn't
  • I thought there were supposed to be widespread heavy showers merging into bands of snow - there hasn't been

So what went wrong or was it just over hyped?

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/en/topkarten.php?map=20&model=gfs&var=2&run=6&time=6&lid=OP&h=0&mv=0&tr=3#mapref

this shows detailed 850HPA temps uk . I am working on basis that they need to dip below 0 to eliminate freezing rain ? I stand to be corrected looks like they drop away between 9-12 and then further between 12-6pm 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Big mistake attempting the car...do not travel, try let this one pass unless its absolute urgent.

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1