Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

1 minute ago, James Gold said:

School off in Bromley today - not seeing any precipitation yet 

Fear not, it's doing exactly what is currently suggested and I mentioned this morning slowly "filling in"

Taking the radar from 6:50 to now... Remember this is not till the afternoon we think the more persistent snow is expected 

650.thumb.jpg.4673b477211ea5367ea7756f1456b5ff.jpg800.thumb.jpg.be5cffe9c411257123f9172de430673e.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

There was a bit of light rain on my way back from work this morning and I can definitely feel that it's warmed up a touch.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, seb said:

Yep. Raindrops freezing the moment the hit a solid surface. Living in Germany in the mid-nineties I've experienced this several times. Most dangerous kind of winter weather. On one occasion it hadn't been forecast and the minute it started the local American Forces Network radio and tv stations interrupted all their programmes to issue road condition black (no-travel for military personnel on or off base; schools, stores, offices that are open on immediate lock down). We ended up with a 3cm ice layer that took 36 hours to melt despite temps rising up quickly above freezing.

Wow! I can see it frozen to the windows outside, really odd! I can see why it's so dangerous! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Incredible...never have i had -3 and had Rain ( drizzle).

I want Snow !!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Yup!  Even on car windscreen.  Maybe we're that bit lower in Kingsnorth than on Singleton Hill but we're just the other side of the environment centre - which is weird

How completely bizarre. Kennington weather station on MetO WOW website shows -2.1 which is the same as here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Reckon we could well out of this today if the precip is heavy enough. Will also be very slow moving. Hopeing for a bit of energy as it crosses the Thames too.

Posted
18 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Nothing at all overnight in Mid Sussex, and nothing happening now...such a disappointment, have missed out to the East and West in this spell.

I know how you feel

Posted
11 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

No increase in snow level overnight in Reigate, all looking a bit sorry for itself now.  I saw fizzly light snow for an hour or 2 before midnight but barely worth mentioning.  Not as cold this morning but still currently below freezing at -1.7c with the dewpoint at -4c.  Grey and to be honest rather boring.

Grey and boring? Sounds like Horley!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
3 minutes ago, samalllpop said:

How much snow are we expecting later and what time are we expecting it 

How long is this piece of string I'm holding :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted

One of the teachers at my boys’ school in Reigate copied this onto a Facebook page...

’I saw this on a surrey information page. 

This is why the schools are closing.
Surrey County Council:

We have just had a conference call with the MET office, Emergency Management Team and various Surrey agencies, and have received the following information:
The snow has been worse than expected and they are therefore extending the Amber alert for Wind and Snow to cover all of Surrey. This will be in place until 08.00 tomorrow morning.
We can expect between 5 to 10 cm of snow tonight, heavy until midnight and then lighter, but another flurry mid-morning.
There is a small risk of freezing rain.’

- that was from last night - most schools in Surrey are closed because of an inaccurate warning... @West is Best - relevant for your thread perhaps...

Posted
7 minutes ago, Great Plum said:

Grey and boring? Sounds like Horley!

Just getting on Redhill train to Croydon . I don’t think it’s boring at all in fact it’s invredible that we are about to have third ice day in a row here on March ! That’s amazing. Also prospect of snow here 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Wife and I are debating whether to ask her work (Residential Care Home, Chislehurst/Elmstead Woods border ), if they have a bed/room available, for tonight, poss. tomorrow, too.  I would have to stay with my wife because of my condition, after my CVA.

My wife, had to stay a couple of nights, during the cold, snowy spell of 2010.

What do the more knowledgeable members think, will we get more snow today? Perhaps, more importantly, will we get much melting of snow, today/tomorrow ??  Plus cab drivers sometimes refuse to drive up our Close, in wintry spells, it becomes, like an ice rink!!

Of course, if I go to the Home and stay with my wife, I run the risk of her leaving, this old f..t, there for good.:D Never mind, I'll let Bromley Social Services, foot the bill. 

Would welcome members views about more snow and prospects of it melting, today/tomorrow?

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted

Lethal outside. Pavements slippery, roads slippery! Had to pull over and defrost again 2 minutes into journey as car wasn’t warm enough to stop what was hitting car from freezing again! 

• Like 2

Posted
31 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Can confirm just rain in Deal. Not the freezing kind either, just wet.

:wallbash:

Yup, fine rain in Sandwich and the little snow I have is shrinking. 

One day,that's all I wanted. One. Snowy. Day. Oh well, there is always next  year.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Cold/Snowy Winter! Just SEASONAL!!

Looks like a little loss of some snow overnight here in Epsom?! Looks like it's melted a little or maybe it got blown away/dried by the wind?! Most schools closed due to "being under am Amber warning" despite the fact we now no longer seem to be, lol! Meto website shows light snow here and there today and the Meto App says light snow all day here!!!:rofl:

I'm not expecting much more to be honest but we'll see! Looking forward to Spring now!x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
11 minutes ago, seb said:

How completely bizarre. Kennington weather station on MetO WOW website shows -2.1 which is the same as here.

Now got very light freezing drizzle and windscreen has frozen

Posted
1 minute ago, Great Plum said:

One of the teachers at my boys’ school in Reigate copied this onto a Facebook page...

’I saw this on a surrey information page. 

This is why the schools are closing.
Surrey County Council:

We have just had a conference call with the MET office, Emergency Management Team and various Surrey agencies, and have received the following information:
The snow has been worse than expected and they are therefore extending the Amber alert for Wind and Snow to cover all of Surrey. This will be in place until 08.00 tomorrow morning.
We can expect between 5 to 10 cm of snow tonight, heavy until midnight and then lighter, but another flurry mid-morning.
There is a small risk of freezing rain.’

- that was from last night - most schools in Surrey are closed because of an inaccurate warning... @West is Best - relevant for your thread perhaps...

Damned if they do damned if they don't, a very tricky event tbh

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
20 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Fear not, it's doing exactly what is currently suggested and I mentioned this morning slowly "filling in"

Taking the radar from 6:50 to now... Remember this is not till the afternoon we think the more persistent snow is expected 

650.thumb.jpg.4673b477211ea5367ea7756f1456b5ff.jpg800.thumb.jpg.be5cffe9c411257123f9172de430673e.jpg

I was about to post those same 2 images!  

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Marginal rain sleet stuff here not freezing I think

Freezing rain you'll notice because it sticks as ice straight on impact and totally clear, Weird stuff!

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
29 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Well no work for me today been called off so the youngers are off also and so is the Mrs so a trip to Windsor great park sledging is in order today some fantastic slops up there!

Will be going prepared though with more snow in the forecast!

Hope there’s enough snow for sledging? That wind has blown much of the snow away, might be some drifts there, though. 

Posted

Wow this is going to be chaotic once the heavier stuff hits. 2mm ice layer already.

Trying to upload pictures but it won't let me - error -200?!

Edited by seb