Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

Morning all

Sounds like freezing rain hitting the windows facing North, that wind also sound fierce, will inspect soon once I can bring myself to get out from under the duvet :hi:

Current radar suggests the we need to see precipitation move up from NE France but seems to struggle over the Channel, most is moving past the far West of the Region currently. 

Screenshot_2018-03-02-05-16-15_kindlephoto-72677231.png

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted

it could be our turn  to day if the gfs is right  do i tell the boss her indoors  to work from  or come home at dinner and bring her  lap top home to work from home!:shok:eek

gfs-2-18.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

lashing it down with freezing rain

What do you think the chances of it turning to Snow Steve?

Posted
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!
  • Location: Putney, SW London. A miserable 14m asl....but nevertheless the lucky recipient of c 20cm of snow in 12 hours 1-2 Feb 2009!

Freezing rain falling here in Wandsworth (inner SW London), though showing as snow on radar - temp still @-1C.

In answer to someone above mentioning snow falling but not showing on the radar, it can take surprisingly long for very small snowflakes to fall from radar height to ground level - for the same reason the radar often shows snowfall overhead, but nothing's happening on the ground.

• Like 1

Posted

i  know its deep into fantasy work  this  is not part 2 

gfs-2-384.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Well doesn't seem, we had any more snow overnight.

Not liking the reports of freezing rain now, though. Looking at the Meteociel site, we have reports of "neige", from Southend and Heathrow but unfortunately , "pluie" from London City airport.:angry: Dew points, still ok though.

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/temps-reel.php

http://www.meteociel.fr/observations-meteo/point-de-rosee.php

Regards,

Tom.

Posted

Looks like all 00z runs, want to mix out our bitterly cold 850s now, hence the reports, of freezing rain!!:diablo:

Definite push of milder air now, courtesy of the dreaded, west based, neg. NAO.:wallbash:

Regards,

Tom.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I'm ready for spring now in all honesty. The last week has been amazing, but the cold is becoming a bit too much now. 20c and sunny in two weeks please weather God's, that's my order!

• Like 2

Posted

Little bits of freezing rain a while ago against the window (sounded like tiny shards of ice hitting).  The MetO has us under snow from 8am-11pm. Surely not right?

(Sittingbourne)

• Like 2

Posted

Would advise members, to take extra care, when driving today, should imagine the roads are lethal, at the moment, with all the talk of freezing rain. 

It's certainly put the kibosh, on me venturing out today, due to my compromised balance after my CVA ( Well that's what my GP, referred to it as ). Hope Knocker, doesn't read our thread, as I'd get a rollicking, for using yet another acronym!!

It was either, Knocker or John Holmes, who don't like acronyms, can't quite remember??  :cc_confused:   Sorry, if it wasn't either of you.!!

Regards,

Tom.

Edited by TomSE12

21 minutes ago, jayney69 said:

Little bits of freezing rain a while ago against the window (sounded like tiny shards of ice hitting).  The MetO has us under snow from 8am-11pm. Surely not right?

(Sittingbourne)

I could well belive it looking at some models for today, some have a very slow front others push it through quicker. Another evolving situation today and somewhere is getting even more snow! 

Just managed to get to tgne nearest town to me and the roads round my way are silly no traction and first and second all the way 

6 hours ago, D.V.R said:

Designed to keep me on my toes lol.. I don't mind it actually - I won't know it's there so I don't have to keep getting up  to watch it.. 

No idea why this is quoted, apologies 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

The wind is howling here in wokingham could be fun if we get any more snow later , fingers crossed we do.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
5 minutes ago, Surrey said:

I could well belive it looking at some models for today, some have a very slow front others push it through quicker. Another evolving situation today and somewhere is getting even more snow! 

Just managed to get to tgne nearest town to me and the roads round my way are silly no traction and first and second all the way 

No idea why this is quoted, apologies 

Think we will get anymore snow  ?

Posted

K, last chance today, I would just love to see a covering, I'm still in the green bit of Kent. Who knows eh, there is still hope and if it doesn't snow this is still a fantastic cold snap. Due in London tomorrow, will wake up and see how the trains look in the morning.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Will be amazed if it snow here later.

according to the ever unreliable weather app that you should never rely on for anything other than a laugh, the chances are the highest it’s been all week for snow, but the temp is forecast to be just 0

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

Is this the bit on its way to us????

045A0050-C78E-437A-8FE5-0A785615E04F.jpeg

Posted
2 minutes ago, tomp456 said:

Will be amazed if it snow here later.

according to the ever unreliable weather app that you should never rely on for anything other than a laugh, the chances are the highest it’s been all week for snow, but the temp is forecast to be just 0

Same here, met is giving us heavy snow. It's going to rain isn't it! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
Just now, soopdragoon said:

Same here, met is giving us heavy snow. It's going to rain isn't it! :)

Prob.

was under amber warning yesterday for snow and only minuscule particles of snow fell lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Hoping to squeeze an inch or two today, both local schools have already made the decision not to open until Monday. 
Have a nice day everyone, and if it snows, make the most of it! :)

Temp: -1.3c (Down from +0.7 just over an hour ago)
DP: -4.4c

Posted
2 minutes ago, <<Ryan>> said:

Hoping to squeeze an inch or two today, both local schools have already made the decision not to open until Monday. 
Have a nice day everyone, and if it snows, make the most of it! :)

Temp: -1.3c (Down from +0.7 just over an hour ago)
DP: -4.4c

Schools here have done the same, so we have a snow day even if no snow, so yippee to that!

• Like 2

roads like a ghost town here I have to say today is by far the worst day for driving the ice is un real! And yet the select few want to drive within 1 foot of my back bumper. 

Back onto today and already the snow from last night has filled the foot prints in and made the drifts even bigger couple of the drifts near 7 -8" now!

Using the HILRAM there is scope for more snow today and quite a bit! Note aswell wind is still an issue! Big gusts coming through here 

7am Radfar grab vs 7am HILRAM Pretty bloody close if you ask me.. I Would ignore any rain showing on the charts to start with that will be freezing rain or snow. The snow builds from about 8-9am so the next hour or so will be pretty quiet radar wise 

overview_007.jpg?2018030200 5a98f4589d18c_snow1.thumb.jpg.15ab5c7f4b11b6d4f7d92e1ddc5a07f1.jpg

Running it through then..

overview_009.jpg?2018030200overview_010.jpg?2018030200 overview_011.jpg?2018030200overview_012.jpg?2018030200overview_014.jpg?2018030200

overview_015.jpg?2018030200overview_021.jpg?2018030200

Even by 9PM it still wants to bring snow in.. Now the ARPEGE

overview_009.jpg?2018030200overview_012.jpg?2018030200overview_015.jpg?2018030200overview_018.jpg?2018030200

Moves it through slightly quicker but same sort of idea... 

AROME which hasn't been doing that great if I am honest 

preciprate_009.jpg?2018030200preciprate_011.jpg?2018030200 preciprate_014.jpg?2018030200 preciprate_016.jpg?2018030200 preciprate_017.jpg?2018030200preciprate_018.jpg?2018030200preciprate_019.jpg?2018030200preciprate_021.jpg?2018030200

GFS for fun!

Netweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS ImageNetweather GFS Image

Eyes down to the Radar again

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)

So if this does happen then we could be in for another pasting