Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
12 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

This week has highlighted many thing for me. 1) That modelling, even in ths digital age, is still remarkably unreliable for some weather events depsite what the “public’ are told about the increasing accuracy of forecasting. 2) the population as a whole do not have the resilience that they had 5 years ago, let alone 27 years ago. To hear a man virtually crying in tantrum on the SE news that he couldn’t get his train to Tonbridge was laughable. Prevously there would have been a typically British shrug of the shoulders and gone to the pub instead after helping their neightbours out first. In all honesty, if the freeze of 87 or the great storm in 87 happened today, those of us that were there, got on and enjoyed those events, would be laughing at todays “managers” for the handling of such crisis!! Perhaps thats why so many us who grew up then love weather!!

I don't agree with this at all, yes  the media over hype this and probably interview many people and use the few that are nearly in tears, 

There are many people still around that shrug it off and just get on with it, there's more media coverage now and the media love drama. Can you imagine the news reader saying "well they said the beast from the east was coming, well it be honest it's been sh*t, so we're going to ignore it".

Anyway, 

For me this has been a great little spell and will definitely stick with me. I didnt get a great deal of snow from it, probably 10cm but with thaw never really had more then 1 or 2 inches on the ground. 

The brutal feel of that wind last night was unbelievable, I have  never experienced  cold/windchill like it in this country at least, very memorable. 

The media again over hyped the sea freezing story, but to see the sea almost like a slush puppy in the surf  is also quite remarkable. 

I'll probably go back to lerking in the shadows again now ha ha

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, snow raven said:

You've actually had snow?  I'm actually genuinely shocked because your posts have been so downbeat and depressing that I thought you hadn't had any!

i think he means we would have had 5cms had it not melted in between. the most i've had is maybe 2cm on the first night which melted within 3 or 4 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
51 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

oh its been cold yes, but snow wise awful, had probably 5cms total, most of which has melted in the sun. 2010 was cold and also had about 30-40 CM's of snow, was amazing

Well, Steve in Sussex, I think we’re all fully aware of how bad this cold spell has been for you. You’ve told us often enough. 

Tbh 5cms of snow, while not exceptional by any means, is still half decent. This has been an exceptionally cold spell of weather, particularly for the time of year, and some have seen more snow than others. That’s the way it always is. It’s down to geography and a bit of luck. 

Considering we’ve only been in the bitter cold for 4 days, we’ve seen huge swathes of the UK get heavy snowfall. A true convective easterly, even if some areas haven’t fared as well as others. 

Hopefully we can end the freeze tomorrow with a decent fall of snow again. After that, I’d be happy to start seeing some spring warmth making an appearance. Reason being we are extremely unlikely to see this sort of cold returning in the foreseeable and if it stays “cold” all that will mean now is cold rain/sleet or perhaps some marginal snowfalls due to the time of year. 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, bobbydog said:

i think he means we would have had 5cms had it not melted in between. the most i've had is maybe 2cm on the first night which melted within 3 or 4 hours.

Fair point, I think I must have misunderstood his post!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
2 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

same here. sounds like its raining but its actually ice pellets!

Freezing rain on its way there alright.

3 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

up norf, as in london it's not snowing, heard surrey was going to get some tonight, and by surrey i mean the county and not the netweather member and by some, i mean snow, just thought i'd clarify that:oops:

Are you allowed on this thread Lassie?:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
1 minute ago, snowray said:

Freezing rain on its way there alright.

Are you allowed on this thread Lassie?:rofl:

after my last post, probably not:oops:

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

If you can have freezing sleet then that is what I have here presently. Small flakes of snow that some have melted and rather than become supercooled water droplets have actually frozen into minute ice balls when they arrive at the surface. Makes a pinging noise everywhere. And the moon is shining through!

Described perfectly, I didn't know how to, haha 

Little showers of the above in Canterbury on and off

Posted
8 minutes ago, DanBaynes said:

I don't agree with this at all, yes  the media over hype this and probably interview many people and use the few that are nearly in tears, 

There are many people still around that shrug it off and just get on with it, there's more media coverage now and the media love drama. Can you imagine the news reader saying "well they said the beast from the east was coming, well it be honest it's been sh*t, so we're going to ignore it".

Anyway, 

For me this has been a great little spell and will definitely stick with me. I didnt get a great deal of snow from it, probably 10cm but with thaw never really had more then 1 or 2 inches on the ground. 

The brutal feel of that wind last night was unbelievable, I have  never experienced  cold/windchill like it in this country at least, very memorable. 

The media again over hyped the sea freezing story, but to see the sea almost like a slush puppy in the surf  is also quite remarkable. 

I'll probably go back to lerking in the shadows again now ha ha

Absolutely, and I've actually been impressed that everything has kept functioning pretty well this time. Even when London itself was repeatedly hit, everything just carried on as normal. Trains were affected as always, due to ancient infrastructure, but other than that, and people everywhere taking photos, all seemed pretty normal. 

And I obviously agree on the rest of it as well. Just some real whiners on here who demand 2 feet of snow in their back garden or else they'll spend days on here moaning about the crappy forecasters and the posters who got it wrong and how it's unfair and refusing to recognise the spell as memorable or historic in any way... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
5 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

after my last post, probably not:oops:

Guess what, its snowing here now, and its the best snow all evening but nothing showing on the radar. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
3 minutes ago, danm said:

Well, Steve in Sussex, I think we’re all fully aware of how bad this cold spell has been for you. You’ve told us often enough. 

Tbh 5cms of snow, while not exceptional by any means, is still half decent. This has been an exceptionally cold spell of weather, particularly for the time of year, and some have seen more snow than others. That’s the way it always is. It’s down to geography and a bit of luck. 

Considering we’ve only been in the bitter cold for 4 days, we’ve seen huge swathes of the UK get heavy snowfall. A true convective easterly, even if some areas haven’t fared as well as others. 

Hopefully we can end the freeze tomorrow with a decent fall of snow again. After that, I’d be happy to start seeing some spring warmth making an appearance. Reason being we are extremely unlikely to see this sort of cold returning in the foreseeable and if it stays “cold” all that will mean now is cold rain/sleet or perhaps some marginal snowfalls due to the time of year. 

Heavy snowfalls are well capable of happening in March and also early April. It was April 6th 2008 when a cold front from the north turned into a stalling low in the south and dumped 5" and more on us. It was on the ground for 2 days at least. There was about the same amount in Surrey in early April, 1988.  On March 27th 1975 a cold front from the north turned into a low overnight in the south/english channel and gave several inches of snow. Some info about the 2008 event:

https://www.theweatheroutlook.com/twocommunity/default.aspx?g=posts&t=16197

https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/46893-6th-april-2008-snow/

Posted
4 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Absolutely, and I've actually been impressed that everything has kept functioning pretty well this time. Even when London itself was repeatedly hit, everything just carried on as normal. Trains were affected as always, due to ancient infrastructure, but other than that, and people everywhere taking photos, all seemed pretty normal. 

I have to admit if the snow was of a wetter kind i think it would have been mayhem, the fact the snow has been so dry has help 

Just to add, I've been out driving this evening, just different places locally probably a 10 mile radius from home, with varying amounts of snow in such a small area, really shows how localised the amount of snow you get is

Edited by DanBaynes
Added most

Posted
1 minute ago, DanBaynes said:

I have to admit if the snow was of a wetter kind i think it would have been mayhem, the fact the snow has been so dry has help 

Thats true, lovely crisp snow, I will miss it. Think tomorrows lot will be wet snow and everything will then turn slushy of course.

Posted
13 hours ago, pureasthedriven said:

Tomorrow morning looking like last hurrah for my region (Gatwick) and then that’s seemingly game over for this spell. Hoping the snow can stay grounded long enough in favoured areas for me locally to get the kids onto the sledges Saturday before we put them away until 2023 ?

Had I not been ‘fortunate’ enough to be a working nomad this week, I’d have seen pretty much sweet FA in terms of snowfall. Cold and bits of powder snow have been impressive however, a real throwback. Cracking drive out to Balcombe on Tuesday and a brilliant two hours at London Bridge yesterday, that memory will endure as that was hen’s-teeth rare in the heart of the capital.

Topographically in an unfavouraed spot in Horley but seeing a colliding front come up from the channel and then all the decent precipitation bugger off yet again to Kent and Essex (not all of Kent and Essex, I know), as well as bunny hopping over the north Downs to places like Thorpe, has been hard to stomach last night and this morning. 

What has been an almost reassuring relief for me this week is to see that in the age of (albeit debated) climate change and AGW, Britain can still ‘do it’ when it comes to unusual and deep cold. If the synoptics are favourable, the cold is there.

So, that’s me done with regard to winter posts unless tomorrow early doors springs a local surprise (experience tells me no and that favoured locations for this spell will remain favoured). Adore the snow but if ain’t going to really snow I’ll be turning my less-avid attention to the first long-fetch southerly of the spring and that first amazing day of the year - as good as any snow day - when the thermometer teases 20c in a sheltered garden with the sun on my face.

Sadly, that looks a way off and more of that vile cold rain (see below) looks to be a feature for the reasonably foreseeable. 

As winter’s go, I’ll mark this down in my locale as the epic winter of cold rain (7 unbelievably close and absolutely hideous near misses) and the year that winter rediscovered its growl in the UK, which gives me renewed hope for when this all kicks off again in eight months time!

Great forum, this. Thanks for your company.

Toodles. 

Re-posting this from earlier given the nature of chit chat on here this evening.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Its still snowing in Croydon but there's no ppn over me on the radar.. Must be stealth snow 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, DanBaynes said:

Just to add, I've been out driving this evening, just different places locally probably a 10 mile radius from home, with varying amounts of snow in such a small area, really shows how localised the amount of snow you get is

Funny, I've had that experience this evening too. First driving from London down to Sussex, but then later in the local area. Our lanes are sheet snow and ice and everything is still thickly covered in snow, then I went into Tunbridge Wells and things were miuch clearer. Thinner layer of snow, lots of clear surfaces. And only 10 mins away. Notably much less in Tonbridge as well. I believe the same is also true 10 miles South East of us.

Posted
9 minutes ago, snowray said:

Thats true, lovely crisp snow, I will miss it. Think tomorrows lot will be wet snow and everything will then turn slushy of course.

I'm thinking the same, I'm not at work tomorrow, so Iet the cold spell go out with a bang cause havoc. Ha ha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
1 minute ago, saint said:

Developed in Area 51? :D

Designed to keep me on my toes lol.. I don't mind it actually - I won't know it's there so I don't have to keep getting up  to watch it.. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

A second area of precip is developing over Eastern Channel, I wonder if this will have more luck pushing north. Light snow most of the evening here, left a sugar coating briefly. 
Pretty impressed with this cold spell - 3 separate periods of snow, 7 inches max depth and a low of -12c is pretty impressive for here. 

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

Funny, I've had that experience this evening too. First driving from London down to Sussex, but then later in the local area. Our lanes are sheet snow and ice and everything is still thickly covered in snow, then I went into Tunbridge Wells and things were miuch clearer. Thinner layer of snow, lots of clear surfaces. And only 10 mins away. Notably much less in Tonbridge as well. I believe the same is also true 10 miles South East of us.

Yes, I saw an sat imagine posted eariler, where from sandwich to dover was green a few miles nw and west was white. Canterbury and areas sw of here did very well from the streamer that set up eariler in the week. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this has been a memorable winter at all, to be honest, it's been horrible, cold but not cold enough for snow, grey, miserable, and what feels like a very long winter. In my previous posts I'm just talking about this Cold snap. 

Mother nature has shown us it's Still capable enough to bring deep cold to the uk, and just enough of a taste to keep the fires burning inside for a repeat of historic winter from the past, to keep me coming back searching (I must be mental)

Anyway who said it's finished with us just yet, 

20180227_222001.jpg

Edited by DanBaynes

Posted
12 minutes ago, DanBaynes said:

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying this has been a memorable winter at all, to be honest, it's been horrible, cold but not cold enough for snow, grey, miserable, and what feels like a very long winter. In my previous posts I'm just talking about this Cold snap. 

Oh agreed. Quite a few recent winters have seemed to be particularly miserable, to me at least. Got to be a cracker coming up some time soon...

Posted
5 minutes ago, James Maidstone said:

Freezing rain currently here in Maidstone.  V windy and minus 1.  streamer developing amd buildling along and just south of M20.

I'm going to be heading up the M20 to Maidstone shortly. Certainly not looking forward to the journey this morning due to the wind, it woke me up before my alarm went off this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Buon giorno  a tutti,

Another early morning rise, for perhaps the final chapter, in the saga of this superb, current wintry spell.

Although, I'll be up at 5.15 with Colette, both tomorrow and Sunday, as my poor wife has to leave at 6.30 for work, on both days.

Hope my little, Princess Hayley ( all of 34 years old ), managed to arrive back home safely, in Chislehurst, after witnessing another crushing defeat, for her beloved Arsenal, at the hands of the brilliant, Man. City, last night. No matter how old they are, they're still your babies, aren't they!!:air_kiss: I can hardly bare to ask her later, how it went? :nonono:

Just off to trawl through all your reports and look at some of the radar grabs, since 10.30, last night, to see if we managed to receive, a little more, of the white stuff. Too dark to tell.Oh, the tension.!!  Still blowing a hooley, out there!

Regards,

Tom.:hi:

Edited by TomSE12
  • Like 1