Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow
16 minutes ago, saint said:

The reality is that we probably wont know until tomorrow... Lot's of uncertainty. 

Thanks, Saint... I know..keeps the interest going though ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
16 minutes ago, Darkcloud said:

Incredible to watch. Makes a mockery out of our 5 day cold spell! What did you make of their explanation about why it occurred? Hawaaii?

Yes, they thought it was something to do with unusually warm waters over the N Pacific around Hawaii   altering the jet stream to a more convoluted or merdional pattern that stuck and kept UK in the freezer all winter. Given their understanding of teleconnections back then was primitive, it may have been other drivers that are more well known, such as solar cycle, QBO, ENSO, though there could be some truth in the sea surface temperature anomaly they suggest affecting upper patterns too.

Thank goodness another 1962/63 winter is unlikely to happen in our lifetimes, it is like this week but all winter long!

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Agreed,been a 6/10 round here,huge potential though!Mores the pity given the dewpoints have been consistently so low,they have always been our downfall round London/SE in otber cold spells.One thing that I have never seen before is increasing snow amounts the closer you go to central London.Certainly the most interesting thing about recent days.Earls Court looked resplendent,who'd have thought!! Another thought that I have had over the last few days is that its early March now and winter had its chance for the last 2/3 months ago,time to look forward to a bit of spring warmth and getting the allotment sorted.

Now that I've said that we ll be buried in snow tommorow evening.

Haha, well there’s a chance we'll get more snow tomorrow than forecast, would be good! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Surprises
9 minutes ago, Whereisthesnow? said:

Lol ? yeah, exactly! Wife's a teacher and her school has been closed in anticipation of tomorrow 

People these days have to travel further for work or school than they did when i was a kid in the 80's - better to close the schools and save the heart ache of visiting the morg the next day as a parent or teachers wife/husband - Plenty of nutters out there in warm cars without a clue!

better safe than sorry.. and al that

Edited by Pixel
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

If you can have freezing sleet then that is what I have here presently. Small flakes of snow that some have melted and rather than become supercooled water droplets have actually frozen into minute ice balls when they arrive at the surface. Makes a pinging noise everywhere. And the moon is shining through!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
4 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

I know another John that's all, he does long posts, indepth etc

I'm guessing not me... I'm not prone to long posts... Normally

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fog, Drizzle, Rain, Wind and Thunderstorms

Just driven from Worthing to Horsham. Mostly rain with more of a sleety mix the closer I got to Horsham. Conditions weren't too bad for driving really, I was expecting more ice.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

TBH from a selfish point of view, I've had my snow fix now, 4 days of snow potentially a 5th day tomorrow, road a nightmare, causes issues with work, its blooming freezing.......roll on the BBQs :D

• Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, yamkin said:

Snowing lightly here now

Last time I looked out the window recently the moon was dimly shining through the cloud, so must be thickening again

• Like 1

Posted

tommrrow starting from around 2pm 

could be quite a dump for the London area after looking at a few charts 

2-7cms quite realistic totals 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
Just now, Lampostwatcher said:

That's not really a dump is it? More a smattering

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast

Met office saying " Snow Flurries " for south east tomorrow?

Posted
Just now, Lampostwatcher said:

I can imagine plenty of workers going in tomorrow still none the wiser of forecasts and the risks of not getting home especially by train etc

Posted

Stopped snowing here in Sevenoaks, but what I want to know is where did all that snow go that fell for 2 hours or so? There is none on my car, and no more on my patio, has one of you got my snow piled up against your house :)   

Edited by HighPressure

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

TBH from a selfish point of view, I've had my snow fix now, 4 days of snow potentially a 5th day tomorrow, road a nightmare, causes issues with work, its blooming freezing.......roll on the BBQs :D

I am eagerly awaiting The Daily Express headline "hottest summer for 38 billion years myself 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Bob Lee said:

I am eagerly awaiting The Daily Express headline "hottest summer for 38 billion years myself 

If they do I'll invest in an umbrella, new boots and a new coat :diablo:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
8 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

If you can have freezing sleet then that is what I have here presently. Small flakes of snow that some have melted and rather than become supercooled water droplets have actually frozen into minute ice balls when they arrive at the surface. Makes a pinging noise everywhere. And the moon is shining through!

I have seen this before, switching back to snow sometimes and ending up in that awful freezing rain, its all part of the upper temps rising now of course.

Posted
47 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

oh its been cold yes, but snow wise awful, had probably 5cms total, most of which has melted in the sun. 2010 was cold and also had about 30-40 CM's of snow, was amazing

You've actually had snow?  I'm actually genuinely shocked because your posts have been so downbeat and depressing that I thought you hadn't had any!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, HighPressure said:

Stopped snowing here in Sevenoaks, but what I want to know is where did all that snow go that fell for 2 hours or so? There is none on my car, and no more on my patio, has one of you got my snow piled up against your house :)   

its drifting, look in the Wales tread pictures with no snow on car roofs, bins, etc but  drifting against parked cars so you can't see the wheels they got another good 5-6 hours of that lucky sods.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Euro4 this evening is looking good for tomorrow, shows the band of snow over the SE for quite some time, may end up just fizzling out over us.

Still think that the Hirlam has performed better though.

18030218_0118.gif

18030300_0118.gif

Posted
16 minutes ago, chionomaniac said:

same here. sounds like its raining but its actually ice pellets!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

up norf, as in london:rofl: it's not snowing, heard surrey was going to get some tonight, and by surrey i mean the county and not the netweather member and by some, i mean snow, just thought i'd clarify that:oops:

• Like 1