Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

That looks about it for my area now..  I had about another cm tonight :)

Posted

So BBC say some snow later tonight and a grand finale tomorrow from mid afternoon for SE and London, but uncertainty over heaviness. Here's hoping for a great ending to an amazing week!  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Whereisthesnow? said:

Just watched BBC forecast...seriously don't know whether to travel into the City tomorrow.  Gut feeling London could get a dumping.  Thoughts?

They seem to think we will have a spell of snow, not expected to be heavy, though they said it’s giving them ‘forecasting headaches’. Could be another cm or two?

Posted
6 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The council tweeted it I just saw it retweeted. March 2013 was amazing in Brighton I remember the photos.. Central London has more than you! I have had very healthy cover for three days now, no melt really absolutely none today it’s surreal for here. I am one in the worst places for snow, and this cold spell has been truly exceptional. I won’t forget it ever. The number of hours of falling snow I’ve seen must be over 24 hours, some of the most heaviest snowfall I’ve seen ever seen courtesy from a shower which went over heart of London, that was the craziest thing I ever experienced. Visibility you couldn’t see across the road - completely torrential and going horizontal in 10 minutes it dumped 2” then I had a dumping from a ‘Thames Streamer’. The depth I have is shy of 10cm however it would be more, but a fair amount has evaporated. Everything’s frozen solid it’s been that way 24/7 to think I struggle to get an air frost and lately it’s been -3.5C at midday. I have a mini drift in my garden, I will miss this weather dearly it’s been a five year long wait. It knocks 2013 out water, coldest spell of weather probably seen since 1991, not even 2010 compares.

Ok, you've gone a little off plan there, but I remain deeply sceptical that Brighton will get 5-10cm tonight.

If central London has more snow than Reigate then great, happy days, I'm 52 years old and am very pleased that although I love the drama of snow I don't give a monkey's about where it falls as long as it doesn't make peoples' lives a misery.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

Might get some kip soon, I may get up slightly earlier to check on the radar. Let's hope we wake up to some surprises, and let's hope the last batch of snow tomorrow delivers!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

They seem to think we will have a spell of snow, not expected to be heavy, though they said it’s giving them ‘forecasting headaches’. Could be another cm or two?

Cheers SB...was thinking issue with trains...IF...heavy..

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Whereisthesnow? said:

The reality is that we probably wont know until tomorrow... Lot's of uncertainty. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
Just now, Whereisthesnow? said:

It’s all a bit vague. Personally, I think you’ll be fine, doesn’t look too severe, unless we get freezing rain, of course! Now I’ve said that, we’ll get a right dumping lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Im not going to get my hopes re tomoz,if it happens it happens

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

oh its been cold yes, but snow wise awful, had probably 5cms total, most of which has melted in the sun. 2010 was cold and also had about 30-40 CM's of snow, was amazing

I didn’t have that issue here surprisingly I bet overall I’ve had upwards of 20cm some thawed slightly and most of it sublimated.

This was satellite image taken yesterday midday. How rare is this, even capital snow covered? And still is for that matter. Our region overall did very well as one would expect. Some less so, but I’d say you’re in the minority?

Parts of Essex, Kent, Norfolk and Suffolk especially have seen some truly amazing snowfall even London has well IMBY. With winds whipping up there are considerable drifts in many places.

More to come tommorow, looking fruitful for all of us 2-7cm widespread I reckon. Not looking forward to the thaw. :( 

74A62764-7202-45EE-B493-D3F0CF141DB2.thumb.jpeg.3e787ad8c917964e6cfeac51cfecc97e.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes!
39 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Watching Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze on BBC4 black and white footage of the notorious 62/63 winter, amazing how much disruption and suffering it caused, even back then, so many places cut off by drifting snow and running short of food, SW was worse hit back then, but then there were blizzards following blizzards, not just one

Incredible to watch. Makes a mockery out of our 5 day cold spell! What did you make of their explanation about why it occurred? Hawaaii?

Posted
15 minutes ago, Cat Clark said:

Do you also live in Folkestone? ?

Not far from you in Hawkinge!

Full on gale force gusts at times round the house now and horizontal snow flurries.

Currently -0.2c, DP -6c (high was 0.0c in the end)

Posted
24 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

There’s significant variation from place to place some areas have done seriously well. Fellow Londoners I’m sure @Sno' problem will say it’s been exceptional cold spell. :) 

I can relate to all you said in your previous post. It has been exceptionally cold - three ice days and a decent amount of snow.

Like, you, i was amazed by that streamer snow on Wednesday morning, it was the heaviest snow i'd ever seen in my life- and i thought i'd witnessed that in 2010.  I've really enjoyed walking around in it.. I will also be sad to see it go. We may not see it again in our life time

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

Ok, you've gone a little off plan there, but I remain deeply sceptical that Brighton will get 5-10cm tonight.

If central London has more snow than Reigate then great, happy days, I'm 52 years old and am very pleased that although I love the drama of snow I don't give a monkey's about where it falls as long as it doesn't make peoples' lives a misery.

No. Just correcting really! Judging by the radar me too, unless something develops. Well around here, I’ve seen happy faces many young children playing in snow, who have never experienced it really. My mum loathes the cold she doesn’t go out, I don’t really blame her, it is fairly treacherous. You’re always going to get people who love it or hate it. You can’t please everyone, but that’s the way the cookie crumbles. 

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
18 minutes ago, Bob Lee said:

I thought people said BBC Weather was pants now? Not having go honest but read its not so good after split with Metoffice yet when it's forecasting snow for us It's ooops forget that Yahoo we love BBC Weather Most confusing 

Well BBC Weather all week was saying it was going to be DRY this week, they also said on Saturday... Wintry Showers :p

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
1 minute ago, John Stevens said:

This week has highlighted many thing for me. 1) That modelling, even in ths digital age, is still remarkably unreliable depsite what the “public’ are told about the increasing accuracy of forecasting. 2) the population as a whole are do not have the resilience that they had 5 years ago, let alone 27 years ago. To here a man virtually crying in tantrum on the SE news that he couldn’t get his train to Tonbridge was laughable. Prevously there would have been a typically British shrug of the shoulders and gone to the pub instead after helping their neightbours out first. In all honesty, if the freeze of 87 or the great storm in 87 happened today, those of us that were there, got on and enjoyed those events, would be laughing at todays “managers” for the handling of such crisis!! Perhaps thats why so many us who grew up then love weather!!

Sorry to drag on...and also I am aware that I didn’t politely introduce myself the other day when I joined the forums (i got carreid away in the snowy moment!). Watching, and occasionally commenting, this week has been enjoyable, frustrating (especially being too close to Horley, Horsham, Dorking, Reigate clearly to get proper snow ??) but most of all illuminating that the spirit of the 80’s community feeling still exists throughout the SE!!

Quite understand if no-one responds!

Are you active on TWO by any chance?

Posted

Arpege goes for snow from quite early tomorrow across the region. Hirlam has it from lunchtime, both have fairly light stuff but you never know

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder
2 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Are you active on TWO by any chance?

No this is my only active forum? Why?

Posted
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Arpege goes for snow from quite early tomorrow across the region. Hirlam has it from lunchtime, both have fairly light stuff but you never know

Looks similar strength to this mornings front but likely to take longer to move on. I'm guessing 3-5cms roughly.

• Like 1

Posted

Well I e enjoyed the last few days. We only got a few CMS But when we did, it was great! Wednesday evening was probably the best for Epsom. Dragging the car out tomorrow, it’s  been stuck there all week. What’s the betting it’ll all come down the second I leave the house? ?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow
12 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s all a bit vague. Personally, I think you’ll be fine, doesn’t look too severe, unless we get freezing rain, of course! Now I’ve said that, we’ll get a right dumping lol

Lol ? yeah, exactly! Wife's a teacher and her school has been closed in anticipation of tomorrow 

Posted
15 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Mixed feelings about this cold spell here. The depth of cold has been pretty remarkable, 2 consecutive ice days near Heathrow, that’s very rare. Nice to see some heavy snow showers, too. Am disappointed with snow amounts here though, at most have got to about 3cm laying snow which is pathetic, had much, much more in 2010 and 2013.. Not expecting much more before the milder air arrives so my interest is rapidly waning. Good that so many have had a decent spell, however.

Agreed,been a 6/10 round here,huge potential though!Mores the pity given the dewpoints have been consistently so low,they have always been our downfall round London/SE in otber cold spells.One thing that I have never seen before is increasing snow amounts the closer you go to central London.Certainly the most interesting thing about recent days.Earls Court looked resplendent,who'd have thought!! Another thought that I have had over the last few days is that its early March now and winter had its chance for the last 2/3 months ago,time to look forward to a bit of spring warmth and getting the allotment sorted.

Now that I've said that we ll be buried in snow tommorow evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
2 minutes ago, John Stevens said:

No this is my only active forum? Why?

I know another John that's all, he does long posts, indepth etc