Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!!

I cant see any changes yo tge Amber on the MetO website? ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados

Quite frankly,this is pants,there's no way im going to get anything out of this lot tonight,amber warning,really,yes its been snowing,4 days in a row,which is remarkable,and I still have a bit laying,which has lasted 3 days,but it was maybe 2cms at best,heavy showers all around,and places up the road with 6 inches plus,its been great,but very frustrating,all I wanted was 1 decent snow event,and being 10 or so miles inland and 70m asl,living in a village which always does well in snow,I was hoping I had the ticket,good luck to all that have it,and enjoy it

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
1 minute ago, Nikkib74 said:

I cant see any changes yo tge Amber on the MetO website? ?

Yep, no changes I can see ...

Posted
1 minute ago, Storme said:

Ohhhh ? I feel sad about that. 

So they’re just radar gazing like the rest of us. Like the Hokey Cokey, the MetO. How many people on here questioned the wisdom of that amber extension earlier? As they did on here when the Amber warning was pushed WSW earlier in the week? Poor. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything Extreme

Freezing rain in Hove as well, makes a really strange noise as it hits the windows blown by the wind , it's falling onto a thin layer on snow courtesy of an insanely heavy 10 minute snow shower here which left everything redusted, there was already a patchwork of snow, ice and partially melted ice as the freezing rain hit here so I fully epect to wake up to the sound of tooting horns and cars crashing into one another here. 

Thank god I have the day off work tomorrow !!

Edited by EML Network
  • Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, abruzzi spur said:

I'd be amazed Daniel. Who's briefed that?  My in-laws have lived there for decades, I've been going there for slightly fewer decades but still lots of decades and I've never seen more than about 2cm on the coast (even that is staggeringly rare) maybe 5cm a mile or so inland in exceptional circumstances, more of course up on the South Downs.  So much unrealistic expectation on here, we are 110m above sea level here in Reigate town and there's about 2 cm max, of lying snow a tiny dusty top up tonight, despite low temperatures well below freezing.   In daylight I can see up to the top of the north downs at 230m and there isn't that much snow.  Clearly some parts have had lots but its unlikely in the extreme that Brighton will get as much snow as you suggest 

The council tweeted it I just saw it retweeted. March 2013 was amazing in Brighton I remember the photos.. Central London has more than you! I have had very healthy cover for three days now, no melt really absolutely none today it’s surreal for here. I am one in the worst places for snow, and this cold spell has been truly exceptional. I won’t forget it ever. The number of hours of falling snow I’ve seen must be over 24 hours, some of the most heaviest snowfall I’ve seen ever seen courtesy from a shower which went over heart of London, that was the craziest thing I ever experienced. Visibility you couldn’t see across the road - completely torrential and going horizontal in 10 minutes it dumped 2” then I had a dumping from a ‘Thames Streamer’. The depth I have is shy of 10cm however it would be more, but a fair amount has evaporated. Everything’s frozen solid it’s been that way 24/7 to think I struggle to get an air frost and lately it’s been -3.5C at midday. I have a mini drift in my garden, I will miss this weather dearly it’s been a five year long wait. It knocks 2013 out water, coldest spell of weather probably seen since 1991, not even 2010 compares.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I agree its been a pants week for snow, its been bitterly cold but just hardly any snow here.... not comparable to 2010 at all

So disappointing, maybe one last feeble attempt tomorrow

• Like 2

Posted
15 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Liam Dutton explains the heavier snow struggling to get inland more eloquently 

Again, surely the MetO knew this earlier this eve? Hardly a revelation, the continental flow is it? 

Dammit, I’d promised to stop posting. Bloody weather! ?

Edited by pureasthedriven
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, steveinsussex said:

I agree its been a pants week for snow, its been bitterly cold but just hardly any snow here.... not comparable to 2010 at all

There’s significant variation from place to place some areas have done seriously well. Fellow Londoners I’m sure @Sno' problem will say it’s been exceptional cold spell. :) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
3 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Maybe for you but I had 8 inches.

Of snow that is.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

There’s significant variation from place to place some areas have done seriously well. Fellow Londoners I’m sure @Sno' problem will say it’s been exceptional cold spell. :) 

oh its been cold yes, but snow wise awful, had probably 5cms total, most of which has melted in the sun. 2010 was cold and also had about 30-40 CM's of snow, was amazing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
17 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Yes mate

meant the paths and roads that had been cleared

Ahh ok cool.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Liking the look of tomorrow, potential from prolonged snow due to a very slow moving band hitting us.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

BBC SE news really making this a monumental historic event.... Really think they're making a meal of our all.... It's hardly been as bad as recent memory let alone more than 15 years ago..... Sorry if this upsets some but too many people are becoming overtly wuussy and to ready to blame....

• Like 6

Posted
12 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

lol @ Daniel being corrected by a pro

Me and Liam D have some history the negative sort, having a different opinion isn’t bad though. :D 

I don’t believe he has a meteorological degree and well neither do I but I do have a degree in ‘science’, he is on channel 4 so... ;)

• Like 2

Hi peeps so we are all ready for our final goodbye tomorrow it's going to bit sad to see which could well be the last of the snow for us. Just listened to the BBC forcast and we have got 6 or 7 hours of snow tomorrow starting at 2 or 3pm, the presenter said it could be a tricky rush hour. I won't be surprised if we get fresh warnings tomorrow.  

Anyway let's make the most of it. Who knows when our guest from the east will come again. 

Nght night all ?

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow,thunder,tornados
7 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

This is no 2010,or 2013 for me snow wise

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Mixed feelings about this cold spell here. The depth of cold has been pretty remarkable, 2 consecutive ice days near Heathrow, that’s very rare. Nice to see some heavy snow showers, too. Am disappointed with snow amounts here though, at most have got to about 3cm laying snow which is pathetic, had much, much more in 2010 and 2013.. Not expecting much more before the milder air arrives so my interest is rapidly waning. Good that so many have had a decent spell, however.

• Like 1

Posted

I thought people said BBC Weather was pants now? Not having go honest but read its not so good after split with Metoffice yet when it's forecasting snow for us It's ooops forget that Yahoo we love BBC Weather Most confusing 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

Just watched BBC forecast...seriously don't know whether to travel into the City tomorrow.  Gut feeling London could get a dumping.  Thoughts?

• Thanks 1