Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
9 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

well two things there, brighton is in east sussex and the empire has failed to destroy the hoth deflector shield protecting horsham.

atat.thumb.jpg.2e4cecc6d9b39d6e5319fd3747b9ebad.jpg 

yup, Brighton is on the coast so it may well get the snow but the showers are failing to travel inland and are breaking up, its game over for tonight

Posted

Hi there first time poster. In medway been following for a few years. Its been a miserable day. Have been following with interest about my own area. But today has confused the hell out of me with where when and how much snow is due in the final furlong. Don't pretend to understand all the data but get the gist. I found the Dutch radar which if I understand it pretty well has my part of Kent chucking it down with snow all day tomorrow. Is the Dutch radar a good indicator.... Just trying to plan my working day.  Thanks David

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

It is certainly windier here in the Surrey Hills than it has been all week

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Have you seen radar? If there’s no hiccups you’ll be seeing a good covering.

4FC58C23-BDE6-4731-AEAC-4C14A442D1D6.thumb.png.036f7ab2a1754403ee79ed6ecb5401b8.png

have i seen it? i've been watching it for hours. its like watching england play football!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Snizzle here

Posted
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Actually wrong. Brighton has been briefed to expect 5-10cm its painfully slow but it is on the move.

I'd be amazed Daniel. Who's briefed that?  My in-laws have lived there for decades, I've been going there for slightly fewer decades but still lots of decades and I've never seen more than about 2cm on the coast (even that is staggeringly rare) maybe 5cm a mile or so inland in exceptional circumstances, more of course up on the South Downs.  So much unrealistic expectation on here, we are 110m above sea level here in Reigate town and there's about 2 cm max, of lying snow a tiny dusty top up tonight, despite low temperatures well below freezing.   In daylight I can see up to the top of the north downs at 230m and there isn't that much snow.  Clearly some parts have had lots but its unlikely in the extreme that Brighton will get as much snow as you suggest 

Posted
12 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

well two things there, brighton is in east sussex and the empire has failed to destroy the hoth deflector shield protecting horsham.

atat.thumb.jpg.2e4cecc6d9b39d6e5319fd3747b9ebad.jpg 

??

Posted

Met Office Amber updated again, we’re now out.....

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Widespread snow is expected to develop through Thursday afternoon and evening, accompanied by strong easterly winds, leading to drifting of lying snow in places. Around 10-20 cm is likely to fall quite widely, with the potential for up to 50 cm over parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a chance of snow turning to freezing rain in places, with widespread icy stretched forming making driving conditions dangerous. The warning has been updated to reflect the growing confidence of a severe spell of weather and to remove parts of North Wales and Southeast England.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Watching Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze on BBC4 black and white footage of the notorious 62/63 winter, amazing how much disruption and suffering it caused, even back then, so many places cut off by drifting snow and running short of food, SW was worse hit back then, but then there were blizzards following blizzards, not just one

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

Yawn, very heavy sizzle stuff just got into Eastbourne. It's leaving a bit of a white covering  but you can clearly see how warmer upper temps have now got. It's not far off sleet ?

Posted

Thanks D.C., not a surprise to see that update given the feeble snow so far tonight!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow
51 minutes ago, snowray said:

Do you not have an existing snow cover where you are snowbob?  Usually Biggin Hill does very well for snow.

Yes mate

meant the paths and roads that had been cleared

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Snow, Wind, Rain, Sun.....but mainly cooler weather!
3 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Widespread snow is expected to develop through Thursday afternoon and evening, accompanied by strong easterly winds, leading to drifting of lying snow in places. Around 10-20 cm is likely to fall quite widely, with the potential for up to 50 cm over parts of Dartmoor and Exmoor. As less cold air follows from the south, there is a chance of snow turning to freezing rain in places, with widespread icy stretched forming making driving conditions dangerous. The warning has been updated to reflect the growing confidence of a severe spell of weather and to remove parts of North Wales and Southeast England.

Ohhhh ? I feel sad about that. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms

Tomorrow looks decent though!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual

Temp hovering just below freezing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
24 minutes ago, steveinsussex said:

Steve's garden seems to have its own microclimate while the rest of us have nothing falling from the sky

I've had very fine snow falling tonight.

Posted
23 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Seen reports of freezing rain in Bournemouth, which is causing glazing on all surface, which will make it lethal, seems that temps further east are holding low enough aloft even near the coast for mostly snow.

However, heavier snow seems to be struggling to get too far inland atm, perhaps because the surface is so dry further east, thanks to proximity of dry feed with low DPs off near continent, that heavier snow with higher water content is perhaps evaporating and not reaching the ground, but small flakes are. Certainly may explain heavier stuff struggling to get inland for now.

Liam Dutton explains the heavier snow struggling to get inland more eloquently 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Watching Winterwatch 1963 - The Big Freeze on BBC4 black and white footage of the notorious 62/63 winter, amazing how much disruption and suffering it caused, even back then, so many places cut off by drifting snow and running short of food, SW was worse hit back then, but then there were blizzards following blizzards, not just one

heres-what-you-could-have-won.thumb.jpg.2a5c80f77ae1b9342e618000bb82bbb7.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Darren Chilcott said:

Erm ... revisionism galore there. In case they haven't noticed it's 22.25 so hardly 'Thursday afternoon'.

Seriously, they are useless.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Liam Dutton explains the heavier snow struggling to get inland more eloquently 

lol @ Daniel being corrected by a pro

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
17 minutes ago, snowfish1 said:

Can u take a pic of it so I can see it please 

I can only manage a picture of a window at the moment. I cannot get out of the back door due to a large drift, and it being frozen solid. And the front of the house is like an ice rink. If it's still covered by morning, I can get some better pictures.

20180301_222116_HDR.jpg

All of the East facing windows look like they have frosted glass in them.

• Like 8