Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
2 minutes ago, nicktabs said:

Still snowing heavily here in Petersfield (north of Portsmouth) so if your further north your time should come. We have had nothing all winter up till now so I feel it's well deserved. Hoping it carries on all night and anyone without any yet gets their turn.

Definitely well deserved, it seems to be dying out before us but I’m still hopeful, enjoy x 

Edited by paget

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

My word, where is all this heavy snow? Got a bit colder here again, back below -1C, there’s been light snow for hours but it can’t settle much due to the wind. 

Very windy now in wokingham hoping that heavier stuff makes it here for a nice top up and a snow day for me tommorow ,.anything else is a bonus.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Right think it's my turn to dive under the duvet now, with the missus and her cuddly toys. Sorry, TMI!! :oops:

Hopefully, we have one last hurrah, tomorrow.

Night all.

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

Posted
Just now, paget said:

Definitely well deserved, it seems to be dying out before us but I’m still hopeful, enjoy x 

Have you got any?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Temp on the way down last couple hours.Maxed out at -0.8 about 7pm now down to -1.8 with a very very cold wind and light snow giving a very light covering.HIRLAM for tomorrow looks like giving 2-5cms across most of this thread which would be perfectly acceptable if it comes to fruition.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Dosent seem to be a lot of clarity about tomorows potential .

Is it nowcasting again ??

Posted

Steady snizzle still in Reigate, only noticeable if you have to actually go in it (like I just did when Mrs Plum made me go to the shed...) still brass monkeys out there, probably 1cm of additional snow on our decking.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Seen reports of freezing rain in Bournemouth, which is causing glazing on all surface, which will make it lethal, seems that temps further east are holding low enough aloft even near the coast for mostly snow.

However, heavier snow seems to be struggling to get too far inland atm, perhaps because the surface is so dry further east, thanks to proximity of dry feed with low DPs off near continent, that heavier snow with higher water content is perhaps evaporating and not reaching the ground, but small flakes are. Certainly may explain heavier stuff struggling to get inland for now.

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Tonight has reminded me very much of a summer plume situation where we watch fantastic thunderstorms cross the channel from France but only to lose intensity off the south coast. I guess it can happen in winter too lol!

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, steveinsussex said:

Steve's garden seems to have its own microclimate while the rest of us have nothing falling from the sky

I do... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Icy pellets, that what it sounds like on the windows, in Littlehampton. Gusty winds too.

Edited by WestSussexSnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
1 minute ago, nicktabs said:

Have you got any?

No, it’s been very fine snow all day so we have a few cm which is much better than the rest of the week! It seems like very wet fine snow/drizzle now, I was really expecting to be in the orange zone!! 

Posted
8 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Actually wrong. Brighton has been briefed to expect 5-10cm its painfully slow but it is on the move.

well two things there, brighton is in east sussex and the empire has failed to destroy the hoth deflector shield protecting horsham.

atat.thumb.jpg.2e4cecc6d9b39d6e5319fd3747b9ebad.jpg 

Posted
Just now, Nick F said:

Seen reports of freezing rain in Bournemouth, which causing glazing on all surface, which will make it lethal, seems that temps further east are holding low enough even near the coast for mostly snow.

However, heavier snow seems to be struggling to get too far inland atm, perhaps abuse the surface is so dry further east, thanks to proximity of dry feed with low DPs on near continent, that heavier snow with higher water content is perhaps evaporating and not reaching the ground, but small flakes are. Certainly make explain heavier stuff struggling to get inland for now.

It is on move it may not seem like it it’s painfully slow but then again you’ll see more...

Posted
1 minute ago, chionomaniac said:

Tonight has reminded me very much of a summer plume situation where we watch fantastic thunderstorms cross the channel from France but only to lose intensity off the south coast. I guess it can happen in winter too lol!

we had a good few of those last summer. very good to watch but always late at night

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

well two things there, brighton is in east sussex and the empire has failed to destroy the hoth deflector shield protecting horsham.

atat.thumb.jpg.2e4cecc6d9b39d6e5319fd3747b9ebad.jpg 

Have you seen radar? If there’s no hiccups you’ll be seeing a good covering.

4FC58C23-BDE6-4731-AEAC-4C14A442D1D6.thumb.png.036f7ab2a1754403ee79ed6ecb5401b8.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 'Big talk' weather....:-)

No clue what to expect tomorrow......looks beautiful tonight though :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Hello folks! Thought i'd put my head around the door?! I hope you all get snow rather than the freezing rain that's occurring here. I love all forms of extreme weather, but this  is the pits! Everything is completely coated! Fortunately, the snow remains on the ground, but it is now like concrete. Stay safe!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunder

It's certainly broken down in the channel, but pepping up on the French coast. Is there also some new action developing in the Thames estuary

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Hello folks! Thought i'd put my head around the door?! I hope you all get snow rather than the freezing rain that's occurring here. I love all forms of extreme weather, but this  is the pits! Everything is completely coated! Fortunately, the snow remains on the ground, but it is now like concrete. Stay safe!

Can u take a pic of it so I can see it please 

Posted

Things look a bit dodgy for the south east at the moment, but I’ve just spent ages looking at model output, checking radar loops and general getting my nerd on, and do believe the precipitation currently hugging the south coast will soon head inland and pep up a little before continuing its journey north west.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1