Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Pretty sure that stuff approaching Kent is a radar anomaly. The very northern edge is becoming less "heavy" as it moves northwards.

Are you talking about the stuff overland expanding East, or the stuff over in France?

If it's the former, it's started snowing again in Greenwich in the last few minutes as that little area pointing towards Kent moved over us

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Pretty sure that stuff approaching Kent is a radar anomaly. The very northern edge is becoming less "heavy" as it moves northwards.

Meteo WX radar says otherwise, but could that be wrong as well?

Posted
Just now, abruzzi spur said:

We is alwayz well mashed in Reigate man innit.

Ahem.

I can report no mashing yet but we do have a little light pommes parmentier thing going on.

Must be thinking of redhill!

• Like 1

guys 

Count yourselves lucky in surrey- models (12z) initialised about 50-75 miles further East which in the grand scheme of things is nothing- but relative to the PPN belt is a whole county-

Shown here 1am tonight 12z first

5ADF9726-E5A1-46D7-AC65-CD9673ECA9FA.thumb.jpeg.60c3c3d17754a47c6a673f101ce52f10.jpeg7829F4B8-4843-49D0-A576-DE7D75D26738.thumb.jpeg.f2c4782568b489d918999e66052c2724.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
Just now, snowking said:

Are you talking about the stuff overland expanding East, or the stuff over in France?

If it's the former, it's started snowing again in Greenwich in the last few minutes as that little area pointing towards Kent moved over us

The stuff over France, apologies, the stuff already over the SE is most definitely real!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Really??  That sucks then.   Has been appearing for ages. Bizarre. 

Cheers. Feet back on ground then. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Its looking pretty realistic and matches returns from French radar as well...It could just be natural variation but I've been following that line of showers from S.France around 7am, so pretty confident its realisitic!

With that being said, its not moved too much in the last 30-45 mins...hmmm

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The stuff over France, apologies, the stuff already over the SE is most definitely real!

Look at the French radar and also latest sat image (that line is most definitely visible on the sat).

B2CFB00B-EBF2-420A-A7AF-4BC6A327BEC4.png

09F11737-EEF4-43D4-A5DB-1B4846126E91.png

Edited by seb
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Yes something doesn't look right about the way it developed over the French mainland 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Big Dave said:

Really??  That sucks then.   Has been appearing for ages. Bizarre. 

Cheers. Feet back on ground then. 

2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Its looking pretty realistic and matches returns from French radar as well...It could just be natural variation but I've been following that line of showers from S.France around 7am, so pretty confident its realisitic!

With that being said, its not moved too much in the last 30-45 mins...hmmm

...and all other quotes.

We are still debating this in the office! I'm not entirely sure it's not real but I have my doubts. Believe me, I want it to be real as much as you guys!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme!

In SE London, it's light but it's falling!

Obsessively watches the radar...

Lee, SE12, by the way

Posted
4 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

guys 

Count yourselves lucky in surrey- models (12z) initialised about 50-75 miles further East which in the grand scheme of things is nothing- but relative to the PPN belt is a whole county-

Shown here 1am tonight 12z first

5ADF9726-E5A1-46D7-AC65-CD9673ECA9FA.thumb.jpeg.60c3c3d17754a47c6a673f101ce52f10.jpeg7829F4B8-4843-49D0-A576-DE7D75D26738.thumb.jpeg.f2c4782568b489d918999e66052c2724.jpeg

Crikey...and to think we tried to place this front for 2 weeks or more now! Lol....crazy stuff these last few days....

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

For the Kent brigade this is agonising!!.Looked at last few frames of NW radar and the bit of precipitation on the most easterly flank seems to be curving back NW.I reckon it was continue to move in that direction and say J5 of M25 will be good for snow, but those(including me) East of there will miss out and hope on last chance tomorrow.So hope i am wrong and just need about 15-20 mile movement East and preferably a Nortwards movement as opposed to a North West movement and that would probably cover all of Kent and then bring everyone in the thread in the game.PLease can HIRLAM be right as this predicted the most Eastward movement last night.

Those that get the snow keep sending the pictures-If i cant get the snow the next best thing is seeing my fellow thread members enjoy their snow.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Marie said:

Radar has PPN over me right now but nothing is falling from the sky , winds picked up a bit 

In this position too now, few flakes every now and then, radar lying

Posted
3 minutes ago, seb said:

Look at the French radar and also latest sat image (that line is most definitely visible on the sat).

B2CFB00B-EBF2-420A-A7AF-4BC6A327BEC4.png

09F11737-EEF4-43D4-A5DB-1B4846126E91.png

Yeah that second image kinda seals the deal for me, can clearly see the clouds arcing the exact same way it does on radar!

Probably hard to believe as the models did such a poor job with this area!

PS, I get it though, I was a little taken aback by it at first, but having watched its evolution and how well it matched HIRLAM, that is what made me suspect it was real.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and plenty of it.
1 minute ago, Mark said:

In SE London, it's light but it's falling!

Obsessively watches the radar...

Lee, SE12, by the way

Not in my part of Lee,SE12!

Posted

I will add, that both UKV and GFS shifted this a good 50-75 miles east today. So who's to say it could be even further east?

This snow is amazing though, so powdery!

• Like 4

Posted

Temperature has been rising slowly on the West Sussex coast all day - up to -0.7 C now, DP -5.

Bitter wind and getting dark, but nothing from the sky!

Posted

I think the front is real and will probably make landfall in Kent between 8 to 9pm, you can just make it out on the satellite as well, as to how much ppn there will be on it is another matter, definitely showing on Buienradar +3 hours

https://www.buienradar.nl/wereldwijd/europa/buienradar/3uurs

• Like 2