Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

Looks like the set-up is developing pretty much as expected thus far, the first warm front locally gave more than expected, but it was localised aqnd some places didn't get much at all.

Very light grains at the moment here, not expecting too much till later here, and still very borderline!

Do you think we'll get much from tomorrow's front?

Posted
1 hour ago, TomSE12 said:

Amazing pictures, there!! Wasn't it on the Hoo Peninsular, where a train got stuck in a huge snowdrift, in Jan 1987?I remember, the photos!! If memory serves, didn't British Rail buy a specially adapted locomotive, with snowplough, from Norway, only to get it back to the UK, to find it was the wrong gauge? :oops:

For Kentish folk, now in a snow mood. See link below and reminisce, about Jan 187. Enjoy!!

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/news/remembering-the-1987-whiteout-118663/

Regards,

Tom. :hi:

I'm old enough to remember that. I was commuting to London from Gravesend. A nightmare! I would say this cold spell has lower daytime temperatures. I'm sitting in my car in Maidstone area and it is -3.5c. Amazing! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS
1 minute ago, A Wintry Mix said:

Predicted for tomorrow 6pm

Thanet -2.5c

Screenshot_20180301-122225.png

BANK !!

Another 3-4 cm will do me. Top up my back garden nicely & see me through the weekend. 

Spring can strt nxt week .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

This is exactly what I’m taking about - see how the graphic below suggests that the SW will only get ‘small amounts of snow’ - hello?! Red warning area?!!!

D5023A9C-A0B2-4F36-AF4A-680464D836B8.thumb.png.b3682213d7b64c2de6b0648b54d494fe.png

there are too many different forecasts out there - it really is chaotic!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a bit of snow

Looking at the radars

this one seems to show another large area growing to the east of the main band

maybe that could keep growing and looks to be heading straight for the area that @Steve Murr Showed earlier.

6387F140-0CDF-4D02-9A53-137CD2B0763E.jpeg

Edited by snowbob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual
33 minutes ago, seb said:

Latest MetO video forecast is a carbon copy of HIRLAM. Snow showers for us from late afternoon, heavy snow second part of the night/tomorrow morning.

Isn't this already wrong though.

Should still be snowing here according to it, the reality is no snow (apart from a 2 minute dusting this morning) 

The ICON shows the snow that's moved away then nothing until tomorrow with rain/snow in the south-east. 

Posted

Precipitation building in central France west of Tours.

This could be the area to watch for us as it’s track is more favourable for this region.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

The idea this was going to fall on its face today and tomorrow has firmly disappeared!

yellow warning back for all of Kent. Another layer overnight and now it me drifting!

• Like 1

Posted

Euro 4 now more like other high res models. Looking good for 10cm+ tomorrow  late afternoon & overnight 

929EB352-77C5-4B2B-A734-F18FBFC9AB1D.gif

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, snowbob said:

Looking at the radars

this one seems to show another large area growing to the east of the main band

maybe that could keep growing

6387F140-0CDF-4D02-9A53-137CD2B0763E.jpeg

Pretty much in line with the HIRLAM forecast actually. They show it going more directly North as it hits the UK and only brushing the SE'ern corner or fading as it gets there.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Definitely starting to extend east now 

Yep we won’t see main thrust but could be interesting.. especially for those further west like yourself that have seen little.

EE3BC34D-2515-432E-8F08-0FF1B874C4EC.thumb.png.46f293b0aff0d23fb385c31d0c81a02d.pngB56147B2-D535-4E49-B87E-F02FEC8A6124.thumb.png.c3abf66f29b65bb82488d00656efb474.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Easygoing, but winter is meant to be white, dammit!

See Rao has thrown his hat into the ring with some usual, conservative forecasting.

I apologise in advance for dirtying this thread with a Daily Express link....

https://www.express.co.uk/news/weather/925413/UK-snow-weather-snow-storm-Emma-forecast-Thursday-Friday-latest

Edited by echodelta21

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
14 minutes ago, wellington boot said:

All sounds identical to where I'll be for the next few days. Good to be off grid sometimes isn't it??

Absolutely. And there's free dead wood in the woods if required. BUT we have been cut off by both snow and floods in the past eight years, and gritters don't touch country lanes.

Edited by Come rain snow or shine

Just now, Tim Bland said:

Euro 4 now more like other high res models. Looking good for 10cm+ tomorrow  late afternoon & overnight 

929EB352-77C5-4B2B-A734-F18FBFC9AB1D.gif

Yes - I put in the MOD thread that the models had really slowed down that front- almost to a stall

Euro 4 goes for 10cm across London... by sat 6am- PPN front starting friday Eve ( slightly later than usual )

• Like 2

Posted

Going to be near T Wells again from today, so watching the more marginal band tomorrow apprehensively. Suggestions of rain on the South coast make that one more nervy. Just hoping the 18 or so miles from the coast plus 150m of elevation (plus inches of lying snow) will keep us on the right side of the equation.

Reminds me how nice it's been up to this point not having to worry about marginality though!

• Like 1

Posted
After the heavy snow this morning, the dense cloud is releasing very light snow grains around some of our regions.

Storm Emma's PPN outer band to the East is moving further East towards the SE. I expect snow from this storm in a few hours time.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 1. Clear skies 2. Cold 3. Snow 4. Hot
40 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

once again for people asking

The forecast is for storm Emma to track up up the SW of britain

The large clump of PPN that everyone can see on the radar is going to push up with it

Some models take the eastern side of the PPN up through the shires, some further west- However we are not really looking at that YET 

We should be looking along to the east of the main band to see if any instability builds in the form of showers 

12-4 pm HERE

F9576E94-C63E-4683-9954-37F9609861F5.thumb.jpeg.1fbe3ab5ea17e8f0e9f38b0d7bd30040.jpeg

Seriously Steve??? You expect that outcome? Thanks 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

Absolutely. And there's free dead wood in the woods if required. BUT we have been cut off by both snow and floods in the past eight years, and gritters don't touch country lanes.

IGNORE.THE.APPS!!!!!

Edit: Quoted wrong post. B**dy phone! But the message remains lol.

Edited by seb