Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Kent, Home counties and south London general weather discussion 25/02/2018 onwards

Captain Shortwave

once again for people asking

The forecast is for storm Emma to track up up the SW of britain

The large clump of PPN that everyone can see on the radar is going to push up with it

Some models take the eastern side of the PPN up through the shires, some further west- However we are not really looking at that YET 

We should be looking along to the east of the main band to see if any instability builds in the form of showers 

12-4 pm HERE

F9576E94-C63E-4683-9954-37F9609861F5.thumb.jpeg.1fbe3ab5ea17e8f0e9f38b0d7bd30040.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
9 minutes ago, colboy said:

Thought I would advise anyone whose boilers have suddenly stopped it could be your outside pipe from the boiler has frozen up stopping the water from draining away. Pour hot water over it and it should free it up. Hopefully.

Still snow grains coming down here in Sidcup. Still -2.5c here.

Dozens of people reporting this with condensing boilers. Just locate the white pipe at the bottom of the boiler and follow it the outside, heat the pipe with warm water or hair driver and reset the boiler. 

Ours stopped last night. We have British Gas emergency cover but were unable to contact them !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold
1 minute ago, danm said:

Our boiler is also in the loft, and our flu goes out of the roof so not sure if it's a frozen condensate pipe or a blocked flu. How did you defrost it?

My elderly parents pipes are frozen! Luckily the heating still works just no water! Not sure where it's frozen though!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow
Just now, danm said:

Our boiler is also in the loft, and our flu goes out of the roof so not sure if it's a frozen condensate pipe or a blocked flu. How did you defrost it?

A combination of warm water from a watering can and then a second go with a hair dryer, I had to climb a ladder, which in this weather wasn't a particularly great thing to have to do!

I'm keeping a close eye on it though, I'm not 100% confident the block is gone.

Posted

Snow pepping up slightly along south Hampshire / Dorset coastline.

I guess in response to the push of moisture from the south into the atmosphere, engaging with the cold air in place.

Edited by CK1981

Posted
1 minute ago, Steve Murr said:

The large clump of PPN that everyone can see on the radar is going to push up with it

Some models take the eastern side of the PPN up through the shires, some further west- However we are not really looking at that YET 

We should be looking along to the east of the main band to see if any instability builds in the form of showers 

12-4 pm HERE

F9576E94-C63E-4683-9954-37F9609861F5.thumb.jpeg.1fbe3ab5ea17e8f0e9f38b0d7bd30040.jpeg

I'll be looking Steve!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.
5 minutes ago, danm said:

Boil a kettle, let it cool only slightly, then pour it onto the white pipe ( condensation pipe )...it should thaw it.

Put something underneath to help with the mess of the boiling water, becareful of your hands and feet and thing underneath, you can also use a hot water bottle against it

Edited by Kent Blizzard

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

12-4 pm HERE

Yes! Steve, and if I recall Helen Willetts ( My fav be the way  :) ) remarked they were looking closely at how events might develop this afternoon to our south-east over France.. lets see.

Still snow-graining in NW Kent - which is better than nothing when the Radar is clear.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
4 minutes ago, colonelks said:

A combination of warm water from a watering can and then a second go with a hair dryer, I had to climb a ladder, which in this weather wasn't a particularly great thing to have to do!

I'm keeping a close eye on it though, I'm not 100% confident the block is gone.

2 minutes ago, Kent Blizzard said:

Boil a kettle, let it cool only slightly, then pour it onto the white pipe ( condensation pipe )...it should thaw it.

Put something underneath to help with the mess of the boiling water, becareful of your hands and feet and thing underneath, you can also use a hot water bottle against it

Thanks very much!

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, danm said:

We had that exact same problem this morning. Frozen pipes, boiler not working!

As did we, and I've been defrosting the pipe the last couple of days. Now of course something else is up with the boiler. Whirring noises along with a very slow drip from the drainage casing, even if it's still working for now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 minute ago, wellington boot said:

As did we, and I've been defrosting the pipe the last couple of days. Now of course something else is up with the boiler. Whirring noises along with a very slow drip from the drainage casing, even if it's still working for now...

Pain isn't it? We have an immersion heater as well so hopefully that will at least give us hot water.

Posted
17 minutes ago, colonelks said:

So did we. Boiler in the loft meant a somewhat tricky job to defrost the condensate pipe. Heating has now been on successfully for 2 hours, I just hope the bloody thing doesn't stop again!

Ha... Exactly the same here. Gymnastics required to access loft as well as pipe.

• Like 1

Posted

My hubby manages a group of heating engineers and loads of calls about broken boilers are due to the frozen pipes. Advice above is spot on. But also remember some boilers will need you to push the rest button after too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, storms or both at same time..

Anyone with a loft that's got pipes not lagged will likely have problems with them freezing, must be some poor plumbing work going on! (short cuts that they get away with while we had mild winters for a while) 

To over come poor lagging (or lack or any!) open your loft hatch so heat from house gets in to your loft. Also helps if you turn your timers off on your central heating and have heating set on at least 18c 24/7 till milder weather turn up.

One thing you don't want is the frozen pipes to of split, then when it melts your have a flood in the loft which will wreak everything inside below.

Posted
15 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

12-4 pm HERE

Yep, there are showers also just starting to show on the radar which may rotate in to fill in the gap.

The front is also ever so slowly extending eastwards, going to help Hampshire/parts of W.Surrey if that continues. 

VERY close call everyone in the west of this area!

HIRLAM still just about the best fit for this system.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny; chilly and sunny; thunderstorms; extreme
31 minutes ago, samalllpop said:

I might be mistake but the system looks like it is moving north west straight for London ir will this get pushed the other directly once it hits the easterly winds?

can someone shed light on this? 

will i think the rara is showing precip out east of the thames estuary, possibly the start  of a streamer.  The main blob has just edged into Exeter , right onto the Met office !

Posted
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham
  • Location: North of Steyning - West Sussex - some 10 miles south of Horsham

There is a warning of ... mains gas supplies not being sufficient nationwide in the next 2-3 days.  Get yer stocks of wood/coal/blow heaters in. We're in the sticks so are on oil, and i bought a load of wood and smokeless fuel last weekend. No mains gas here. If all electricity power goes we have a fireplace and a multifuel stove ... and an oven hob that runs directly off gas from gas cylinders outside.  The broadband routers won't work, though, and even the 3G signal here is total crap. Maybe smoke signals will...  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, to a point .....

National Grid warning of low gas supply now so you may not need to worry about your boilers ?

Only talking about industrial businesses cutting back now, but they have asked for more gas to be supplied. Hopefully it'l be fine.

Posted
2 minutes ago, fluid dynamic said:

will i think the rara is showing precip out east of the thames estuary, possibly the start  of a streamer.  The main blob has just edged into Exeter , right onto the Met office !

Not a streamer, those are showers moving North. There are showers forming in the channel and stretching ever more towards the East however... Looks like the main band has some energy spare to chuck East... Brighton should get some snizzle soon. Still very light at this point, but a good sign. Have to drive to East Sussex so might drive down a bit early just in case.

Since 2010 I’ve been chasing the snow like many here, where I live in Bearsted we’ve had a good 8 to 10 inches. 

This morning while driving to the office me and snow had one hell of a falling out, but I’m home now and are friends again lol

from 7 this morning until a farmer pulled me out 4 hours. 

When I was driving along the road there was a small layer of snow, car stared spinning the wind and then snow falling created drifts over 1m all within an hour between 7 and 8

1C038B20-2370-4826-A6F7-0A690AA2F068.jpeg

F7271A29-467B-4FE8-A1BC-10277FA62D3C.jpeg

C6DCB24C-BB85-42AB-B4D3-3B877AC64F6F.jpeg

CFBE7742-127C-4840-8FD0-510C5147A689.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, Come rain snow or shine said:

There is a warning of ... mains gas supplies not being sufficient nationwide in the next 2-3 days.  Get yer stocks of wood/coal/blow heaters in. We're in the sticks so are on oil, and i bought a load of wood and smokeless fuel last weekend. No mains gas here. If all electricity power goes we have a fireplace and a multifuel stove ... and an oven hob that runs directly off gas from gas cylinders outside.  The broadband routers won't work, though, and even the 3G signal here is total crap. Maybe smoke signals will...  

All sounds identical to where I'll be for the next few days. Good to be off grid sometimes isn't it??

Posted

Looks like the set-up is developing pretty much as expected thus far, the first warm front locally gave more than expected, but it was localised aqnd some places didn't get much at all.

Very light grains at the moment here, not expecting too much till later here, and still very borderline!